Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2016, 06:23   #1

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Computer network what type? Help, please.

Hi everybody,

need to join the electronics together. Network schematics attached.
Electronics will have to stay Nmea 0183 there is no budget to upgrade them.

I want to achieve the following:

1)
Feed a Wifi/Mobile Phone Network signal into the system so that Internet is available from the main Windows 10 notebook & the two Windows 10 tablets.

As far as I can see this could be done via WiFi or Bluetooth. By using the phone as a hotspot.

Ideally I would not want to change anything in the shipboard wireless network once its set up.
Basically set it up & then connect alternatives sources of internet signal at one location pending which one is available.

Problem is, I only seem to be able to connct the tablet or notebook to one WiFi network at once, not to two at once.
So either Wifi Internet Hotspot or a Ships 0183 WiFi Network.

Do I need a physical multiplexer?
If yes, with Bluetooth or Wifi? They ShipModul Marine Electronics have both types...
Any thoughts or solutions?

2)
Feed 0183Nmea Data from numerous sensors to the main notebook.
Redestribute this data to two (its a catamaran) Windows 10 tablets via WiFi or Bluetooth.
Same applies, I can only link the tablets to a Wifi Internet Hotspot or a Ships 0183 WiFi Network.
Any thoughts or solutions?

Only mirroring the main notebook screen does not work, the tablet screens are to small for that.

3)

Any suggestions to a computer network newbie (me ,-))) ) What type of network I set up best?
Do I need extra router hardware?

PAN via Bluetooth?
Microsoft Home Network?
VPN?
Ad-hoc network?

I have virtually no knowledge on the subject & prefer the simplest solution.
Please use simple jargon to explain.

4)
In an ideal world I like to use the internet source too to stream music from internet or harddisk to the boats "car" stereo via Bluetooth.

Many thanks for your input thoughts & ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electronic Items.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	118845  
Old 13-02-2016, 10:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Computer network what type? Help, please.

I would use a variation of your first option. Put a 4G router on the network and use that for the internet connection. The phones/tablets can use that and you can swap in a local SIM card wherever you are.

I carry one of these with my laptop all the time:
Huawei E5377 LTE CAT4 WiFi Router| Unlocked E5377s-32 | Free Shipping

and have one of these permanently installed in the boat:
Unlocked Huawei B880 4G Wireless Router - Buy Huawei B880-73, Huawei B880-75 WiFi Gateway

Either one should do the job for you.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 12:16   #3

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Thanks Stu.

That means I create www access for the ship network with a dedicated sim card in the Huawei which is cabled to the main laptop.
Than I create a hotspot for this network via a router and connect the tablets.
They receive in turn www access and boat data via this hotspot.

Correct?

I would have preferred to keep the sim in the mobile though...

Still this might work.

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 13-02-2016, 12:49   #4
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Thanks Stu.

That means I create www access for the ship network with a dedicated sim card in the Huawei which is cabled to the main laptop.
Than I create a hotspot for this network via a router and connect the tablets.
They receive in turn www access and boat data via this hotspot.

Correct?

I would have preferred to keep the sim in the mobile though...

Still this might work.

Welcome to the Woods Mira 35 - Catamaran Lady Rovers Website!

A raspberry Pi running OpenPlotter should be able to take care of that, no monitor needed, just 2 x usb wifi dongles. It can log onto a wifi network the rebroadcast that network to various other devices.
It will also broadcast NMEA and signalK data over wifi, you'd need a usb-serial adaptor for each NMEA0183 feed and a powered USB hub, Pi's haven't much power to spare.
Sailing with free hardware | Sailoog
It's still beta software but I've been using it for a little while now, running OpenCPN on a tablet in the cockpit with AIS/GPS data coming from the Pi, which also has OpenCPN running.Seems very stable, though signalK is early days.
If you aren't running OpenCPN then a Pi Zero might cope OK, if you can get hold of one
https://www.adafruit.com/pizero
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 13:05   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

A crude, but very simple and cheap solution to this is to buy a USB WiFi adapter for $20, run it in parallel with the built in wifi module, and connect one to the ship network and one to the Internet router or hotspot.

Another solution is to put the ship network datastream into your notebook with a wired connection (through an Actisense or similar adapter, or a simple RS422-USB adapter), and use wifi for internet.

I have used both of the above and they're fine. But that will only deal with one laptop at a time so doesn't help if you want to be using both datastreams on multiple devices.

The best way to do this would be to get both datastreams on one network. I don't know what kind of router you're using for the ship network -- GoFree?

If it's GoFree, apparently you can substitute a normal WiFi router, like a 3G/4G router, and you will everything on one network.

You will have to change the connectors or buy an adapter, because the GoFree Ethernet connectors are special waterproof ones, and you have to make some changes to the setup of the router.

Someone more knowledgeable might explain the details.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 13:06   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not quite. The Huawei devices are combined routers, hot spots and DHCP servers

The first one can also act as a wired network connection through a USB port on your laptop.

The second one also has a standard network socket for connecting to your ship network. Just hook it up to your network and it becomes your WAP and router for your laptop, tablets, phone to connect to both your ship network and the internet.

It also has a USB port to which you can connect an external drive/USB stick providing media storage accessible to any connected device
Old 14-02-2016, 11:13   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Not quite. The Huawei devices are combined routers, hot spots and DHCP servers

The first one can also act as a wired network connection through a USB port on your laptop.

The second one also has a standard network socket for connecting to your ship network. Just hook it up to your network and it becomes your WAP and router for your laptop, tablets, phone to connect to both your ship network and the internet.

It also has a USB port to which you can connect an external drive/USB stick providing media storage accessible to any connected device
By "standard network port" you mean Ethernet?

So boat's Ethernet into router, right? Then how do you set it up so this data is available on the network? Remember there's a ton of data on the boat network with radar datastream etc. - won't the LTE router choke on it?

In a boat with a GoFree module, I guess you're saying ditch the GoFree and connect the LTE router in its place?

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 14-02-2016, 14:03   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yep, 8P8C (incorrectly called RJ45) port - I was keeping it non technical.

The Gofree is only 802.11b+g (54Mb) so if that can handle the traffic for multiple devices, there is a lot less traffic than you think. Replacing it with the LTE router will possibly give you more responsive laptops/tablets since they have 802.11n wireless and a Gb ethernet port.

I've run the LTE routers as fallback internet routers on some pretty big Gb networks with no problems.
Old 14-02-2016, 14:12   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Yep, 8P8C (incorrectly called RJ45) port - I was keeping it non technical.

The Gofree is only 802.11b+g (54Mb) so if that can handle the traffic for multiple devices, there is a lot less traffic than you think. Replacing it with the LTE router will possibly give you more responsive laptops/tablets since they have 802.11n wireless and a Gb ethernet port.

I've run the LTE routers as fallback internet routers on some pretty big Gb networks with no problems.
OK, great. I asked this question on another thread and didn't get an answer. It should be useful to the OP as it is more or less exactly her question.

So I take out and throw away (or give away) the GoFree router, then chop off the Navico connector from the Ehternet cable going to it, crimp on an RJ45 plug, and plug it into the LTE router, correct? I have a Huawei B593.

I plug my Ubiquiti Bullet into another Ethernet port in the router.

Is there any configuration which has to be done to the router, to get the boat network data available on the Huawei network? I seem to recall that Navico requires something.

Thanks a million; I've been trying to figure this out for a long time. Franziska, are you going to go this way as well?

P.S. If you don't want to cut and crimp, here's an adapter:

https://www.yachtbits.com/product/pr...roduct_id=3939

And here's some useful setup information, including how to block the radar datastream so it doesn't eat up the network bandwidth:

http://www.simrad-yachting.com/Root/...ed%20Setup.pdf

and here:

"Whilst testing the NSS and GoFree interconnectivity on our boat in the real world I quickly discovered the one flaw with connecting it into your normal ship’s router and wifi access point.

"You need to make sure your wifi router can support disabling IGMP multicast packets. The wifi1 does this as standard, since Navico’s radar and sonar devices flood the network with multicast packets, which ordinarily kills LAN ip traffic, meaning your LAN dies (literally no communication / internet can get through)."

http://slingthehook.com/?p=5271
Walt Whitman
Old 14-02-2016, 20:48   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh dear, from that setup PDF:
"> Navico’s Radar products use multicast to transmit data to other devices on the network at a rate of up to 8 Megabits per second, depending on model and setup

The Huawei LTE router doesn't appear to be able to implement IGMP snooping.

Back to the drawing board

Guess I need to hunt around for an LTE modem/router that does this.
Old 14-02-2016, 22:11   #11

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

I have been using a Dovado Pro router with a 4G Telstra modem & RFI external antenna for a while now. Not the cheapest solution but we need to keep working in our semi-retirement as we cruise.

Excellent results along the Aussie east coast so far. All devices can access the wifi including laptops, iPads, iPhones & Raymarine a77 MFD.

Also using 2 of the Ethernet ports in the Dovado, one for the Morningstar Tristar MPPT solar controller for live & data logging of solar charging, & the other for an Airport Extreme hooked to an external hard drive for automatic Time Machine backups of the MacBooks.

Please note that nearly all the network components were chosen as they are 12v & are hard wired into boat electrical panel.

Dovado make smaller 4g routers that would suit less demanding networks but with same excellent feature set.

HTH

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease