Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2016, 13:27   #1

Computer monitor: 12vdc, energy efficient, etc.

Dear cruisers,

I have spent hours on the internet searching for a computer monitor that has the following specifications:
- 17-21 inch
- 12 or 19 Volt DC power input
- low energy consumption (less than 15 Watt)
- brightness >= 250 CCD
- VESA mount

The search was mostly unsuccessful (often just leading to very expensive marine monitors > 1000 EUR). There are some previous articles on this forum, but they seem outdated as there is newer LED backlight technology on the market.

QUESTION: can anyone recommend monitors that fit this description?

Thanks!!

PS: I am running a Gigabyte brix as boat computer (GB-BXBT-2807). Definitely fast enough and quite low power (about 6 W).
svgitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 13:51   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Computer monitor: 12vdc, energy efficient, etc.

Having recently toasted not one but two LG 1942s I have just bought a pair of these... https://www.mwave.com.au/product/lg-...TN+LED+Monitor
Pretty much the same specs but newer.
12V input.....which I regulate through a 12/12 power supply from here DCDC-USB, Intelligent DC-DC converter with USB interface

The toasted pair? First one (2010 build) ... a bit of moisture on the face ended up affecting the display... the PCB for the screen is at the base of the screen....
Replaced with a 2009 build bought for $25 on Ebay... A few weeks ago the electrons in that one manifested themselves as smoke... traced to what I thought was a power supply problem.. easy fix ...good screen meet good power supply from inside old unit... oops..more smoke... traced to an internal fault in the LED diffuser.. unfixable and I was out of power supplies..
An interesting day....

Hope the one above suits your purposes
Ping
Old 13-07-2016, 19:38   #3

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

We've found that some less expensive 120v LCD televisions are actually 12-volt DC powered using a "wall-wart" transformer and that these work fine on a boat, especially if using a 12v-12v converter as noted in a previous post. Many have an HDMI or VGA input and work fineeas monitors.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 20:00   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by svgitana View Post
Dear cruisers,

I have spent hours on the internet searching for a computer monitor that has the following specifications:
- 17-21 inch
- 12 or 19 Volt DC power input
- low energy consumption (less than 15 Watt)
- brightness >= 250 CCD
- VESA mount

The search was mostly unsuccessful (often just leading to very expensive marine monitors > 1000 EUR). There are some previous articles on this forum, but they seem outdated as there is newer LED backlight technology on the market.

QUESTION: can anyone recommend monitors that fit this description?

Thanks!!

PS: I am running a Gigabyte brix as boat computer (GB-BXBT-2807). Definitely fast enough and quite low power (about 6 W).

Hello and welcome to the forum! I have a friend whose boat's name is "Gitana"; your name is not Preston by any chance?

Then about your requirements, why you don't want a waterproof monitor may I ask?

Cheers,

Erik
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 21:06   #5

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Forget monitors look a TVs. HDMI and LED with 4K resolution is cheap and available. Recently found a 21" for $155.00 .

There is a difference between LED and LED backlight. LED does not have as high resolution as the 4K LCD with LED backlight. The nice thing is they run really cool, and they have speakers....(squeakers) built in.
Old 14-07-2016, 02:55   #6

Thanks for your quick replies. I think as pointed out by sy_gilana there seems to be a market for TVs rather than simple computer monitors.

Found a 20" TV that consumes only 14 W. Not very cheap (250 EUR including shipping), but seems to be of good quality:

Telefunken L20H270K4D

PS: the monitor is for indoor use and therefore doesn't need to be waterproof.
svgitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 04:50   #7

Boat: C&C 34

Here is a 15.6 Proscan TV that has worked great for us. Don't get to hung up on the brightness number, the contrast ratio is nearly as important.

Proscan 15.6-Inch LED HD TV With Car Power Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QKGM4NE..._dU3HxbSRQMP0P

I have this at my nav station and it looks fine even when the sun shines directly on it.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 05:13   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela

LG & Acer have models that use 19 volts and Samsung has models using 14 volts. Here's a couple examples available in the US.

SAMSUNG S19F350

Acer S200HQL

LG 20M37D-B
Old 14-07-2016, 08:52   #9

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Laughs, as had I not read the thread, I've have suggested you contact Bob (immediately above) as he knows everything there is to know about computing aboard.

Not insignificantly, he is the king of customer service, and despite my being able on my own, has built the original, and more lately, the replacement computer aboard Flying Pig, provided the WiFi system we've used for over 10 years (with upgrades/mods, but essentially identical function), and one of us.

If you can use him, pay the very few bux and have him build/configure it for you; you'll have a lifetime of support to go with the excellent craftsmanship. Read his warranty specs just to get a shock, at Marine PC's & WiFi by IslandTime PC - I have NEVER encountered that level of commitment elsewhere.

/commercial
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 09:29   #10

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

Try here: LCD touch monitor, Open frame LCD monitor, IP65 waterproof LCD monitor direct from China (Mainland)

or better yet, email Amy with your requirements:

amy@shinhoet.com

They have a waterproof, daylight readable, touch screen, 12v, sound etc. with aluminum housing in various sizes and perfect for a boat (indoors and outdoors). They also build a cpu etc into some models. BTW, I use a 15" version on the monitor in my cockpit so I can watch movies when I'm bored offshore. It is connected to my laptop below, so I can use opencpn, browse the web etc. when I need to
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 09:35   #11

I am not sure about all the technical detail in this post. Can I therefore ask if any of these screens is suitable for viewing in sunlight. With the advent of programmes like polar marine and readily available vector charts running on computers and android, the big problem now is to source a screen that can be used at the helm showing these charts clearly. Plotters seem to use different screen technology to enable sunlight vieeing,.
mikecambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 11:03   #12

I recently posted on installing an Insignia 24 inch TV/monitor, VESA mount and Sony DVD player, all purchased from Best Buy. You can read the post here: http://littlecunningplan.com/2016/05...-media-center/

While primarily a TV, I found that its use as a monitor was satisfactory. At $140 the price is certainly an advantage. I can't recall power usage but you sort that out by looking at the brick at the store.

Since these TVs use AC to DC converters (bricks) it is important to physically lay eyes on those power supplies to confirm that the TV is running on 12volts. As a consumer product, that important bit of information is usually not specified anywhere except on the power supply.
mboyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 12:20   #13

Boat: Island Packet 35

Really how important is it to stay within 15 watts? It is really based upon size, pixels and brightness. For navigation, we are pretty happy with a 15 1/2 @ ~11 watts. And that still depends on how bright you need it during the day, then average it out for the dim night viewing. Once you go up to 18+, seems to go past the 15 watts you are trying to stay under, but at that point, you are still under 17 and is that going to break your daily power budget?

Some of the more exotic brands get too pricey to be worth an extra couple of watts and from the standpoint of components, they are all virtually the same. Opening it and using Conformal coating on all the boards/connections will help make it last in the marine environment, and spray lube the connections then cap off. Then an $80 monitor becomes essentially the same as a $500 exotic.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 19:39   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
Really how important is it to stay within 15 watts? It is really based upon size, pixels and brightness. For navigation, we are pretty happy with a 15 1/2 @ ~11 watts. And that still depends on how bright you need it during the day, then average it out for the dim night viewing. Once you go up to 18+, seems to go past the 15 watts you are trying to stay under, but at that point, you are still under 17 and is that going to break your daily power budget?

Some of the more exotic brands get too pricey to be worth an extra couple of watts and from the standpoint of components, they are all virtually the same. Opening it and using Conformal coating on all the boards/connections will help make it last in the marine environment, and spray lube the connections then cap off. Then an $80 monitor becomes essentially the same as a $500 exotic.
Are you saying to DIY the Conformal Coating?

If so, then how? In detail? What exact "spray" to use? Links?
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 22:18   #15

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran

I have used this before with good luck.
https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-...F8WNA4RGYWKYF7
Avionics_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor