Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2014, 16:06   #1

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

Hello everyone,

I have been posting a few threads here and there regarding my questions of outfitting my boat, so I think it's time I start a master thread where I can post my progress with the boat and all of the work getting done. I am also starting this thread to ask some questions and continue my research on anything I'm missing.

I thought I'd start by posting my proposed electronics selection, and then going from there. If you have any ideas or thoughts about my perceived system, please let me know. I am new to the world of marine outfitting.

Boat - 1999 Caliber 40 LRC
The only electronics the boat has installed are a B&G wind gauge and B&G network quad, which are outdated. The VHF is an Icom M-59. The boat doesn't have any refrigeration or windlass, so I have included these in the proposed outfit.

Here is what I have thought out so far:

Helm/Deck:
-Simrad NSS12
-Simrad IS20 depth/wind package
-Simrad AP24 autopilot
-Lewmar V3 windlass
-KISS-SSB grounding system
-Split Lead HF SSB antenna

Arch:
-Simrad 4G radar
-Simrad GS25 antenna
-Simrad WM-3 module

Below:
-Simrad Wifi-1 module
-Simrad NAIS-400
-ACR GlobalFix Pro
-Icom 604A VHF
-Icom M802 SSB
-Icom AT140 tuner
-SCS DR-7400 P4 Modem
-Isotherm 3751 SP ASU refrigeration

I'll explain a little bit regarding my choices. I understand B&G offers more sailing-focused equipment, however the sailing features of the B&G plotters are not really that important to me. The main thing for me is having a good detailed chart system at the helm with radar. As for the gauges, I have chosen the Simrad IS20's as they match the AP24 autopilot, and I prefer the analog wind display over a digital. The information provided by Triton gauges seems like overkill for myself. I just need a basic, solid depth gauge and wind display.

Some of the first questions I have are regarding the VHF/SSB antennas. Will the 604A need a separate antenna, or will I be able to use the existing antenna the boat has installed? Is the split lead antenna for the SSB a reasonable choice? I like the fact that I would not need to cut my backstay, and it seems like a pretty simple installation.

I am also trying to put together a battery bank/solar array for the above electronics. I will post that as soon as I put together more information. The arch/davits are part of the outfit so it is not already on the boat. Here is a photo of the cockpit/nav. station just to give some idea of the space:

David
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 16:40   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

B&G and Simrad are both made by the same company, Navico. The Triton displays are exactly the same hardware as the IS20 ones, and the Zeus Touch are exactly the same as the NSS MFD's, except only parts of the software. The Simrad and B&G pilots are exactly the same but for the label. They are completely compatible and interoperable, so you can pick and choose among Simrad and B&G to your heart's content.

The Triton wind display looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tritonwind.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	76495

It gives you analogue wind angle for both True and Apparent (which is very clever), plus digital wind speed, both True and Apparent. I have not met anyone who has actually seen one of these who didn't think that it was the bee's knees, the best wind display on the market.

The Zeus MFD's are exactly the same as the Simrad ones except for added sail functions. Since they cost about the same as the Simrad NSS, I don't see why one wouldn't go for them for a sailboat. The sail functions are by no means essential, but can be nice to have. The laylines can be useful, but best of all are the wind histograms which give real insight into the wind.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 17:10   #3

Are you sure Triton has the same hardware as IS20? I think you mean the IS40. This is the wind gauge I am thinking of:

That is a neat feature having two separate points for true and apparent. I don't know why I have such a hard time looking at digital wind gauges as opposed to analog.

I was always aware of Simrad/B&G being the same company, but it's good to know that they are completely compatible within the same system.
Old 20-02-2014, 17:12   #4

Boat: C&C38-3 WK

And with the spring upgrade promotion, B&G Zeus and Triton W/D/S combo price are lower than ever. Simrad also have special on NSS.
PeterSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 09:40   #5

Dockhead, I know you mentioned you had both a Zeus Touch and a non-touch Zeus. Is the internal hardware the same? It seems like the non-touch Zeus is a bit more capable for some reason. Is the processor different? With all of the rebates going on, it seems beneficial to me to go ahead and get a 12" non-touch Zeus while I can for a nice price, just trying to make sure that I'm not missing something one way or the other regarding non-touch vs. touch.
Old 21-02-2014, 11:00   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

NSS evo2 is the way to go IMHO

dave
Old 21-02-2014, 13:06   #7

Dave, why is that?

After playing around with some stuff today at West Marine, I am thinking that I would prefer the more robust non-touch unit mounted at the helm, and then have my iPod at the nav. station if I want to use a touch-screen. The processor on the non-touch units is more powerful correct?

I was also looking at some Furuno gear. Is the TZT9 similar in terms of capability compared to B&G/Simrad? I am aiming to build an entire system sticking with one manufacturer, and it seems like Furuno is a little more expensive. Is their autopilot on par with B&G/Simrad?
Old 21-02-2014, 13:46   #8

I'm trying to figure out which autopilot pump drive I need for my boat. Could someone help me out?
Old 21-02-2014, 14:29   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Dockhead, I know you mentioned you had both a Zeus Touch and a non-touch Zeus. Is the internal hardware the same? It seems like the non-touch Zeus is a bit more capable for some reason. Is the processor different? With all of the rebates going on, it seems beneficial to me to go ahead and get a 12" non-touch Zeus while I can for a nice price, just trying to make sure that I'm not missing something one way or the other regarding non-touch vs. touch.
The non-touch Zeus is an older design. Much more rugged (and more beautiful, and more expensive), but with slower processor and lacking some functions like the ability to work with Go Free. The non-touch uses Simnet connections; touch uses standard N2K. The non-touch has several Ethernet ports, so is a hub in itself; touch requires an external hub.

I think Dave is right; the new revised touch version is probably the way to go. I'm not sure it's shipping yet, but should be soon.

And this is coming from a person pretty hostile to the idea of touch screens on a boat. That's how good these touchscreen MFDs are.

If I were you, I'd spring for at least a 7" Zeus for the nav table; you can get them now for the ridiculous price of about $850. If I had space, I would have four 8" MFDs, two each at helm and nav table. There are too many good things to display on one screen. I guess if you can fit the 12" one in, that can have a split screen with usable area in several panes, but probably I'd rather have two 8" MFDs than one 12".
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 14:47   #10

Dockhead, sorry to switch gears, but what do you think of the Furuno TZTouch compared to the touchscreen Zeus?

I'm thinking the old non-touch Zeus, although rugged, is not a smart choice due to being outdated. Right now I'm narrowed down to B&G/Simrad or Furuno.
Old 21-02-2014, 14:50   #11
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Dave, why is that?

After playing around with some stuff today at West Marine, I am thinking that I would prefer the more robust non-touch unit mounted at the helm, and then have my iPod at the nav. station if I want to use a touch-screen. The processor on the non-touch units is more powerful correct?

I was also looking at some Furuno gear. Is the TZT9 similar in terms of capability compared to B&G/Simrad? I am aiming to build an entire system sticking with one manufacturer, and it seems like Furuno is a little more expensive. Is their autopilot on par with B&G/Simrad?
See dockheads reply

Dave
Old 21-02-2014, 14:52   #12
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Dockhead, sorry to switch gears, but what do you think of the Furuno TZTouch compared to the touchscreen Zeus?

I'm thinking the old non-touch Zeus, although rugged, is not a smart choice due to being outdated. Right now I'm narrowed down to B&G/Simrad or Furuno.
Personally I have played with tZ touch and I'm not impressed. In fact I was never impressed with TZ.

Furuno have lagged behind in recent years. Stuff is looking dated

Dave
Old 21-02-2014, 14:59   #13

Wasn't TZTouch just launched last year? The charts look the exact same as Navico, how is it dated?
Old 21-02-2014, 15:12   #14

Here is a revised setup that I have put together. I cannot figure out the proper B&G autopilot pieces to fill the puzzle. Is there any reason whatsoever to choose a B&G pilot over Simrad?

-B&G Zeus 12 Touch (mounted at helm)
-2 Triton T41 displays (mounted at helm)
-B&G 4G Radar
-B&G ZG100
-B&G WM-3
-B&G Triton Pilot Controller
-Navico NAIS-400
-Navico GoFree Wifi-1

Is all I'm missing here the autopilot computer, compass and drive unit? Or is there more to this system that I'm missing?
Old 21-02-2014, 15:19   #15

Why don't you ask the company that you're buying from?

After all, they're the professionals.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, electronics