Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 09:02   #76
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. George's, Grenada
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,505
Images: 16
Re: Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

Thanks for the battery and solar info.
__________________

__________________
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:13   #77
Registered User
 
Red Sky's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Posts: 335
Re: Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I don't know what the problem is. My view says "Attached Thumbnails, Rotate Image", but there is no image. Any suggestions?

Thanks Roy.
__________________

__________________
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:18   #78
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,937
Re: Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

I don't have any personal experience but I guess the Caribbean is a lot of day sails which is like coastal cruising so I understand your ideas. We will arrive there ourselves at the end of this year, should be interesting.
__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:25   #79
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Live aboard
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 3,466
Images: 83
Re: Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

hardware you selected all is good stuff and should serve you well. You might consider the running power consumption. The item that sticks out is the NSE12. The 12 inch screen is nice, however, we have the 8. This seems to be large enough and consumes less power. The SImrad was our choice 3 years ago because it was the only maker using all LED displays with LED back lights. (lowest power unit available). Another item conspicuousely absent is an AIS. We have Vesper Watchmate 850 that consumes so little power that it is our 'always on' instrument. It does anchor watch for only 3 watts.

We replaced all battery banks with LIFELINE AGP. You can get them shipped directly to a commercial shipping dock if you can make the arrangements. Ours cost about half of what I would have paid locally. Go on line and pick the best for your use. I selected the batteries based on the dimensions and our available battery boxes. Talk to them using the phone number on the site. Two banks total 640 AH at 24 VDC. It may have helped that we are a machine builder for solar and wind test machinery.
__________________
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:40   #80
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. George's, Grenada
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,505
Images: 16
Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

Nicholson, the 12 is a little on the large side, but I'm not sure if the 8 is large enough. Since the beginning of this thread, I've decided to go with the Zeus touch rather than the NSS. I would love to have the new Zeus 2, but it won't be available until the Summer.

I thought I mentioned the AIS, but I will be going with the Navico NAIS-400 module just to keep everything together.

I have selected Aqua Signal navigation and masthead LED lights as well to keep power consumption down.

As for the batteries, with all the recommendations and reading that I've done, AGM isn't worth the price for me. I'm already on the high end of my budget as is and everyone I've heard from with golf cart batteries seems very satisfied. Now I just have to figure out how much solar is going to be needed. As much as I can fit I suppose...
__________________
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:01   #81
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs
The boat will be sailed every day so motion shouldn't be an issue. A friend of mine with a custom 48' center cockpit (huge fridge space) just installed a Frigoboat system which uses a keel cooler. Similar to the Isotherm unit but actually uses a pump and has a larger heatsink on the outside of the hull. Personally I talked to the Isotherm rep at the boat show">Miami boat show and was impressed. I'll post more about refrigeration when the outfit starts. Right now I'm trying to really nail down the specific equipment to use.

Do you have a website or any photos of your boat? Do you live aboard?
Frigoboat does not have a seawater pump - pure keel cooler. Isotherm is more efficient and works better in warm water. It so efficient that it even works with the boat out of the water. You'll find lots of personal experience in the archives if you do a search.
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-Ítre pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:09   #82
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor
Personally I don't like radars chart plotters and the like in the cockpit. If your coastal cruising I guess it makes some sense but for passage making, meeeh! If you put the stuff at the wheel you have to get up and walk around to see it because no one I know sits behind a wheel when offshore unless your autopilot broke. At night I like it dark so I can see and any light hurts my night vision and finally no matter how good the seals, electronics and salt water don't do that well. Looks cool and I watch some guys so engrossed with the bloody plotters that their situational awareness is next to zero. I understand that the odd time it would be nice to have your radar with you in the cockpit but I've never been in a situation that really needed it.
Radar, ais, and in a tight pilotage situation - plotter, are invaluable at the helm, unless you always have enough crew to have someone at the nav table passing orders up to then helm like on a navy ship. I usually do not.

I agree that when you're on autopilot offshore you need something under the dodger. I use an IPad for that.
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-Ítre pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:24   #83
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. George's, Grenada
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,505
Images: 16
Re: Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

Now I'm having a brain fart- if I use the Navico NAIS-400 unit, that will be mounted below deck, and tie into the system via NMEA2000. But do I need a separate AIS antenna for the black box unit?
__________________
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 13:22   #84
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Live aboard
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 3,466
Images: 83
Re: Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Nicholson, the 12 is a little on the large side, but I'm not sure if the 8 is large enough. Since the beginning of this thread, I've decided to go with the Zeus touch rather than the NSS. I would love to have the new Zeus 2, but it won't be available until the Summer.

I thought I mentioned the AIS, but I will be going with the Navico NAIS-400 module just to keep everything together.

I have selected Aqua Signal navigation and masthead LED lights as well to keep power consumption down.

As for the batteries, with all the recommendations and reading that I've done, AGM isn't worth the price for me. I'm already on the high end of my budget as is and everyone I've heard from with golf cart batteries seems very satisfied. Now I just have to figure out how much solar is going to be needed. As much as I can fit I suppose...

VESPER Watchmate will communicate with anything you choose. the advantage (to me) is autonomy. I have deliberately picked stand alone devices. The Watchmate will network but will also operate at Very Low power as a stand alone device. Mine is networked into the Simrad NSE8. On good days & places I know, we operate only depth and wind instruments and the AIS. This saves us 30 watts of power required by the nav computer and central processors. I keep a battery operated hand-held GPS chart plotter at hand. It runs 18 hours on 2 AA batteries (Rechargables) At night, the Watchmate continues all alone at only 3 watts as an anchor alarm. the controls are so easy that newbie guests can interact with the screen & instructions. On thing I will not have on our boat is dependent rather than independent instruments. I keep antique 1940's vintage lights on my Christmas tree; one goes out - they all go out. I won't have that on the boat. Every device on my system that needs GPS has its own for this reason. They can share if they loose their primary but I don't have to have everybody on to make stuff work.

Perhaps you are unconcerned with the energy footprint your selections will demand. If I was hooked up to shore power frequently, I would not care.

I suggest you talk (e-mail) Jeff at Vesper Marine and tell him what you are trying to accomplish. He is extremely helpful. He lurks on CF.

There is a long discussion of the touch screen version going on right now on another thread. AIS Choice...WatchMate Vision Touch Screen
__________________
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 15:35   #85
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. George's, Grenada
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,505
Images: 16
Re: Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

I wasn't that concerned about the AIS, I always thought the Navico unit seemed to be good enough... but I'll do some more research tonight on Vesper Marine and standalone AIS receivers. I just want to minimize my system as much as possible. I don't really need another screen that I'll have to mount somewhere, most likely the nav. station, when I'll have a powerhouse laptop there most likely running OpenCPN as a backup anyway.
__________________
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 18:20   #86
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
I wasn't that concerned about the AIS, I always thought the Navico unit seemed to be good enough... but I'll do some more research tonight on Vesper Marine and standalone AIS receivers. I just want to minimize my system as much as possible. I don't really need another screen that I'll have to mount somewhere, most likely the nav. station, when I'll have a powerhouse laptop there most likely running OpenCPN as a backup anyway.
I use black box AIS and am very pleased. Very well integrated into MFD functions. In my opinion, separate screens are for people with non-AIS compatible plotters. I strongly prefer having AIS targets overlaid on radar screen - otherwise you might not be sure what you're looking at.
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-Ítre pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 00:01   #87
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. George's, Grenada
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,505
Images: 16
Re: Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

OK, I have made some changes and think I will post up another revised list. I am just trying to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks to all of you for bearing with me.

Helm:
-B&G Zeus 12 Touch (NavPod)
-B&G 4G Radar (Arch)
-B&G Triton Gauges (3) (NavPod)
-B&G Triton Autopilot Control Pad (NavPod)

Autopilot:
-B&G Autopilot Computer High Current
-B&G T2 Hydraulic Pump RAM 12V
-B&G RRF-ACP Rudder Feedback Module
-Airmar H2183 Heading Sensor

Antennas/Transducers:
-Maretron DST110 Depth/Speed/Temp Triducer (Through-Hull)
-Maretron WSO100 Wind Weather Station (Masthead)
-B&G ZG100 GPS Antenna (Arch)
-B&G Wifi-1 Module

Communications:
-Icom M59 VHF (Nav. Station)
-Icom M504A VHF w/ DSC (Nav. Station)
-Sea Tech Communicator Package (Nav. Station)
-Icom M802 SSB
-Icom AT-140 Tuner
-SCS PTC-III Pactor Modem
-GAM/McKim Split Lead Single Sideband Antenna
-KISS-SSB Grounding System
-ACR GlobalFix PRO EPIRB

Windlass:
-Lewmar V3

Refrigeration:
-Isotherm 2556 SP (Through-Hull)

Lighting:
-Aqua Signal Series 34 Tri-Color (Masthead)
-Aqua Signal Series 34 Bi-Color (Bow)

Batteries/Solar:
-Trojan T-105RE 6V 225AH (8)
-Kyocera 320W Solar Panel (2)
-Morningstar 60 Amp MPPT Charge Controller


This is my most recent list of what I could find that I think would be a decent outfit for my boat. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, and if I'm even heading in the right direction here.

I wasn't sure about the solar panels, whether to go with 3-4 smaller sized panels (140W) or 2 larger panels (320W). I know that once they are partially shaded it is almost useless, which is why multiple panels are sometimes better, but the two larger panels produce a greater output. I guess that's the trade-off?

Thanks again everyone.

David
__________________
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:46   #88
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,743
Re: Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
OK, I have made some changes and think I will post up another revised list. I am just trying to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks to all of you for bearing with me.

Helm:
-B&G Zeus 12 Touch (NavPod)
-B&G 4G Radar (Arch)
-B&G Triton Gauges (3) (NavPod)
-B&G Triton Autopilot Control Pad (NavPod)

Autopilot:
-B&G Autopilot Computer High Current
-B&G T2 Hydraulic Pump RAM 12V
-B&G RRF-ACP Rudder Feedback Module
-Airmar H2183 Heading Sensor

Antennas/Transducers:
-Maretron DST110 Depth/Speed/Temp Triducer (Through-Hull)
-Maretron WSO100 Wind Weather Station (Masthead)
-B&G ZG100 GPS Antenna (Arch)
-B&G Wifi-1 Module

Communications:
-Icom M59 VHF (Nav. Station)
-Icom M504A VHF w/ DSC (Nav. Station)
-Sea Tech Communicator Package (Nav. Station)
-Icom M802 SSB
-Icom AT-140 Tuner
-SCS PTC-III Pactor Modem
-GAM/McKim Split Lead Single Sideband Antenna
-KISS-SSB Grounding System
-ACR GlobalFix PRO EPIRB

Windlass:
-Lewmar V3

Refrigeration:
-Isotherm 2556 SP (Through-Hull)

Lighting:
-Aqua Signal Series 34 Tri-Color (Masthead)
-Aqua Signal Series 34 Bi-Color (Bow)

Batteries/Solar:
-Trojan T-105RE 6V 225AH (8)
-Kyocera 320W Solar Panel (2)
-Morningstar 60 Amp MPPT Charge Controller


This is my most recent list of what I could find that I think would be a decent outfit for my boat. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, and if I'm even heading in the right direction here.

I wasn't sure about the solar panels, whether to go with 3-4 smaller sized panels (140W) or 2 larger panels (320W). I know that once they are partially shaded it is almost useless, which is why multiple panels are sometimes better, but the two larger panels produce a greater output. I guess that's the trade-off?

Thanks again everyone.

David
A few comments:

1. I would suggest the pilot hydraulic pump be sized one size larger than recommended. There are various tradeoffs involved, but in my opinion this is the right one.

2. I don't think the B&G RRF rudder sensor is compatible with the newer Simrad pilot computers -- suggest you check to be sure about about that.

3. Before choosing GAM antenna and/or KISS grounding system for your SSB, suggest you read the copious discussions on here in the archives. there is some controversy; you'll have to make up your own mind. After studying the issue for some months, I went with an alternative backstay antenna (lifeline hoisted with a halyard) since my backstay is too fat for normal insulators, and grounding by copper strap to nearby bronze throughhull.


Good luck!
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 17:15   #89
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. George's, Grenada
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,505
Images: 16
Re: Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

Thanks Dockhead, I am definitely going with a larger than necessary drive-type. The unit from B&G/Simrad that I would install is rated for up to a 20 ton vessel, so I'm sure I'll be OK there.

I just sent an e-mail off to B&G for the second time asking about what specific components I need for the autopilot, which is making me second guess their support system.

As for the SSB antenna, the GAM/KISS setup seemed fairly simple to install with low maintenance, which is what drew me to the unit. I haven't looked to much into alternative backstay antennas but I'll check it out. I will be using the SSB for e-mails, cruiser nets and that sort of thing, but I am not HAM certified, nor am I going to be doing any serious lengthy communications with it, which is why I'm not very interested in tearing up my backstay to install an intricate rig. Just need something simple that will get the job done.

Thanks again, you've been a huge help with figuring all of this out.

David
__________________
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 16:45   #90
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. George's, Grenada
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,505
Images: 16
Re: Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

If I am using the wifi-1 module from B&G to be able to use my iPad with the MFD, can I also connect to the system using a Macbook Air and receive the NMEA 2000 data for using a chart program on the laptop? Or would I need an actual connection to the NMEA network via USB?
__________________

__________________
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cal, electronics

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.