Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 22:06   #61

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

Roy, great thoughts. The NavPod is quite large, and if you're sitting down in the center of the cockpit behind the wheel, visibility is horrible like you said. Since the display is 12" I may be able to get away with having it behind the dodger. I'll have to get a feel for that when I get aboard. I do like the idea of having less clutter at the helm. The Triton display in the stateroom is another good idea, never thought about that!

As for the winches, I don't want any unnecessary power to worry about. I'm 27 years old and the main has roller furling. Shouldn't be a problem
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 22:12   #62

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Re: Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
DDabs, the equipment you have selected is good stuff. I have installed several of the same package in the last year. You might also look at the fishfinder and StructureScan sonar if you fish or dive. One word of warning that no one else seems to have offered: visibility. The folks who install the NSS 12, with a nice NavPod, on the binnacle bar, find that it blocks vision forward, and is absolutely useless if you are on autopilot, hunched up under the dodger with waves and wind attacking. You might consider simply installing the display on one side or the other of the dodger interior. You'll still be able to see what's going on, and if you need more detail, sit in front of the wheel to steer and play with the display. Also, on the binnacle bar, no one else gets to see what is happening, Another thought, place a Triton on the overhead of your bunk for monitoring stuff when you are off watch. Better than a telltale compass. And by the way, I just installed a Harken Unipower 900 on a Caliber 40 for their winch to haul the main up (and several other lines). The owner was getting older, and his wife usually handles raising the sails. It made all the difference. the best thing is that the Harken doesn't have a big motor casing hanging down over your head at the stove (or the entrance to the nav station). here's a pic:

:

Roy, I'm considering moving the location of my MFD to an under the dodger location on my Caliber also, much more convenient when on a passage. I'm a couple of years out on replacing my electronics so you never know what the options will be by then. I currently have the one at the binnacle and one at the nav station. Maybe a smaller wide screen at the binnacle and a larger one under the dodger and use an iPad at the nav station?

Is it just me or does everyone see only half of the image you posted of the Unipower 900?
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 22:15   #63

Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

I'm only seeing half as well.

Seems kind of redundant to have an MFD at the helm as well as the dodger. I plan on having one good MFD unit in the cockpit and then using my iPad and PC at the nav. station. I also have a Lowrance GPS unit that will be mounted in the nav. station as a backup.

Red Sky, you didn't answer me about living aboard? Also, I'm David, good to meet ya!
Old 01-03-2014, 22:22   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
The boat will be sailed every day so motion shouldn't be an issue. A friend of mine with a custom 48' center cockpit (huge fridge space) just installed a Frigoboat system which uses a keel cooler. Similar to the Isotherm unit but actually uses a pump and has a larger heatsink on the outside of the hull. Personally I talked to the Isotherm rep at the boat show">Miami boat show and was impressed. I'll post more about refrigeration when the outfit starts. Right now I'm trying to really nail down the specific equipment to use.

Do you have a website or any photos of your boat? Do you live aboard?

Looking forward to updates.

No website, still a dirt dweller. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393741363.573397.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	76997
Old 01-03-2014, 22:26   #65

What year is your Caliber?
Old 01-03-2014, 22:27   #66

Quote:
Roy, great thoughts. The NavPod is quite large, and if you're sitting down in the center of the cockpit behind the wheel, visibility is horrible like you said. Since the display is 12" I may be able to get away with having it behind the dodger. I'll have to get a feel for that when I get aboard. I do like the idea of having less clutter at the helm. The Triton display in the stateroom is another good idea, never thought about that!

As for the winches, I don't want any unnecessary power to worry about. I'm 27 years old and the main has roller furling. Shouldn't be a problem

David, get a hump seat from BottomSiders. I think the one we bought is 6" high, feet still on the cockpit sole, and much better visibility.
Old 01-03-2014, 22:29   #67

Quote:
What year is your Caliber?

It's a 2002, hull # 40141.
Old 01-03-2014, 22:29   #68

Beautiful. Jealous of the double spreader rig.
Old 01-03-2014, 22:31   #69

Quote:
Beautiful. Jealous of the double spreader rig.

I'm jealous, 27 years old and already have a Caliber, much fun awaits
Old 01-03-2014, 22:33   #70

Sorry Dave, I'm Mike and is good to meet you also.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:18   #71

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I don't know what the problem is. My view says "Attached Thumbnails, Rotate Image", but there is no image. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0241.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	77013  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:25   #72

Works now. Yeah that's not bad for an electric winch, but still not necessary. Thanks though!
Old 02-03-2014, 07:32   #73

Personally I don't like radars chart plotters and the like in the cockpit. If your coastal cruising I guess it makes some sense but for passage making, meeeh! If you put the stuff at the wheel you have to get up and walk around to see it because no one I know sits behind a wheel when offshore unless your autopilot broke. At night I like it dark so I can see and any light hurts my night vision and finally no matter how good the seals, electronics and salt water don't do that well. Looks cool and I watch some guys so engrossed with the bloody plotters that their situational awareness is next to zero. I understand that the odd time it would be nice to have your radar with you in the cockpit but I've never been in a situation that really needed it.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:38   #74

Robert, I am going to be spending alot of time in the Caribbean and unfamiliar waters where it might be nice to have a chart with radar overlay right in front of me as I'm at the helm. I see what you're saying about long passages where the autopilot is doing most of the work. For such purposes I could always dim or power down the unit at the helm and use the iPad from anywhere on the boat.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:55   #75

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

DDabs, you could put the MFD at the helm, and then have wifi linked to an Ipod, and move that to where ever you need it, under dodger, below, etc. That will be my next setup when I replace my Raymarine RL with B&G.

As far as solar choices, depending on fitment issues 2 Sanyo 240w panels would give you more power and measure 62x31.4.

Golf carts are a good choice, and the Interstate U2500 gives a lot more amps for the same footprint.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, electronics