Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-03-2014, 19:18   #136

Re: Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

Nice, nice looking boat. I spent today on my boat cleaning and fixing things.

Congratulations, consider it the first of many happy days.

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 18:40   #137

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Left the dock today! Starting our voyage to Oriental, NC. Tonight we are in Annapolis Yacht Basin. Really nice little marina in the center of Annapolis.

Old 25-03-2014, 13:51   #138

Just made it out of the Chesapeake Bay! I am happy to start the ICW. The bay was nothing fun, just boring and windy and cold. We are in Tidewater Yacht Marina for the night at mile marker 0, and start the ICW tomorrow morning.
Old 25-03-2014, 14:19   #139

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Just made it out of the Chesapeake Bay! I am happy to start the ICW. The bay was nothing fun, just boring and windy and cold. We are in Tidewater Yacht Marina for the night at mile marker 0, and start the ICW tomorrow morning.

Been there, nice place. Enjoy the rest of the trip.

-Chris
Old 25-03-2014, 14:33   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
The bay was nothing fun, just boring and windy and cold.
Oh man - March! You should try the bay in September and make another evaluation!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 14:40   #141

Mark, I do not plan on being that far North in a loooooooonnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg time!!! Maybe with a pilothouse and a furnace. I have realized how wimpy I truly am. Where are you, Guatemala? That sounds good, I'll take that.

Off-topic - I have been following your blog and congrats on finishing your "Manta 42 conversion." You did a killer job with the transoms! When do you hope to be back in the water?
Old 25-03-2014, 14:47   #142
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Right now we are sitting on our thumbs waiting for gelcoat to be shipped in. I ordered a high-quality finish gelcoat to use as the final and it somehow got lost in the yard here. It should arrive by the end of the week and it will take a day to shoot it and 3-4 days of wet sand and finishing. A couple more days for some routine haulout maintenance that I have deferred due to all the fiberglass grinding mess and we will go back in.

Thanks for the compliment!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 26-03-2014, 12:23   #143

I am having a last minute thought about my electronics package. With all of the sales going on, I can get a great system for much cheaper than usual. I am having a hard time when it comes to the plotter/radar. It is the only part of the system I am unsure about.

Since I am definitely going to be installing a B&G/Simrad autopilot and Triton gauges, my first thought was to get the B&G Zeus2 and 4G radar.

The more I think about it, I keep going back to wanting a Furuno TZTouch and DRS4D 4kw radar dome.

If I do decide to build a frankensystem of sorts, and have the B&G/Simrad autopilot, Triton gauges, Maretron/Airmar transducers/compasses and a Furuno plotter/radar, will it all tie in together nicely without any issues? Or am I better off sticking with the B&G Zeus/4G and calling it a day?
Old 26-03-2014, 12:27   #144
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The more I think about it, I keep going back to wanting a Furuno TZTouch and DRS4D 4kw radar dome.

If I do decide to build a frankensystem of sorts, and have the B&G/Simrad autopilot, Triton gauges, Maretron/Airmar transducers/compasses and a Furuno plotter/radar, will it all tie in together nicely without any issues? Or am I better off sticking with the B&G Zeus/4G and calling it a day?

Bad idea, in reality don't mix systems like this. You loose integrated functionality like AP control from the MFD and other advantages.( transducer setup etc) I would only consider it if you have a overwhelming issue.

As a personal comment NN3D is a bit dated now.

dave
Old 26-03-2014, 13:00   #145
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You are describing almost our exact setup - Furuno MFD/radar, Simrad AP with Raymarine drive, Tritons, Maretron GPS, ultrasonic wind and N2K cabling, Airmar depth and speed transducers.

Despite Dave's dislike of mix and match systems, they work flawlessly together. The only think we are missing is the ability to control some basic autopilot functions from the MFD. But frankly, the usefulness of that feature eludes me. I like using the dedicated control head for that.

The Airmar depth and speed transducers can be setup and calibrated from both the Furuno and the Tritons, as well as our computer using any NMEA-serial adapter. The Maretron wind transducer requires the Maretron NMEA-USB device for calibration, although offset corrections could always be set up in each MFD if the unit was never calibrated (the only calibration that has been necessary for ours has been humidity - so it isn't very important if it was never calibrated).

Personally, I feel the advantages of choosing what one considers the best of breed for each component far outweigh the disadvantage of being stuck with crap you can't stand just to get a wind instrument or MFD you really want. I really, really would not want to be stuck with a Raymarine autopilot just to have their nice i70 display, for example. Likewise I would not want to forgo those incredible Triton displays just because I wanted a Furuno radar.

Mark

Old 26-03-2014, 13:07   #146
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Im not against mix and match per say, But I would want to have a reasonable set of demonstrable advantages before doing so.

to me But frankly, the usefulness of that feature eludes me. I like using the dedicated control head for that. is not a good way to justify that process.

So if for example, you particularly want a feature, that is not available on the same equipment from the same manufacturer then that makes sense. Mixing and matching cause you don't like the colour of some buttons on the other hand is not a good idea.

Funny thing say about Rays autopilots, most criticism is about the drive systems, in my experience the control logic and software , i.e. its performance , is first class, and for me the AP I wouldn't have is Furuno.

Hence inreality unless you have a specific requirement , I see no point to mixing and matching. I certainly wouldn't mix and match for cost, with the exception of very low end solutions.

PS, I don't really include sensor mixing and matching, Im talking about instruments, APs, radar etc.
Old 26-03-2014, 13:37   #147
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What I meant by the MFD AP control is that it is a feature I don't need or use. I wasn't justifying it as an advantage of mix and match. My example of wanting a Furuno radar and Triton MFD's is an example of the advantages of mix and match.

The biggest problem with RM AP's is that they still cling to proprietary communication commands, which begin to lock you into RM systems overall. I also have a different opinion of their reliability and performance than you. Funny, other than 20yr old drive units that finally strip their plastic gear, I hear of no complaints from RM drives (which haven't had those plastic gears for many years now). In fact, I see many of them that are so old or mounted in such poor environments I'm surprised they work at all. These are the electromechanical linear ones - I have never come across their hydraulic linear drives.

I have no experience or knowledge of Furuno AP's.

Mark

Old 26-03-2014, 13:44   #148
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The biggest problem with RM AP's is that they still cling to proprietary communication commands, which begin to lock you into RM systems overall.
not to be sidetracked, all the APs on the market use propriety communications protocols, no standard PGNs exist to control a autopilot from a third party control head.?, Raymarine pilots will quite happily take route information from a wide variety of MFDs. I know this for a fact.

All I'm saying is that one should justify the decision to go heterogeneous, rather then justify the decision to go homogenous IMHO

dave
Old 26-03-2014, 13:50   #149

Mark, thank you SO much!!! You have made me feel extremely comfortable in making my choice. I am going to go with the Furuno radar and TZTouch I think. For the autopilot, I plan on having the B&G Triton control pad next to one of my Triton displays, so that should be a good way to control the autopilot, correct?

Also, I have read that Furuno MFD's don't support AIS over NMEA2000? How do I integrate this to the system?

Also, I do not want to even bother with a speed transducer, so I'm just getting the Airmar Depth/Temp transducer. SOG on the GPS is good enough for me, plus I will have an iPhone, iPad to use as well.

I'm so excited now!!!
Old 26-03-2014, 13:52   #150
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Also, I do not want to even bother with a speed transducer, so I'm just getting the Airmar Depth/Temp transducer. SOG on the GPS is good enough for me, plus I will have an iPhone, iPad to use as well.

Just be careful , many things will not substitute SOG for STW and you'll find information gaps,

Tags
cal, electronics

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: