Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-04-2016, 17:23   #1

Boat: Hughes 35
comnav mariner X2 AIS not recognized by windows

Hi

I bought a second hand Comnav Mariner X2 AIS. The AIS was working for the previous owner but when I connect it to my laptop to update the static data using USB connection, I get a Windows message that the device has malfunctioned and that Windows does not recognize it. I do not have a driver for it and thought to connect it to a MAC laptop since a driver is not needed to connect it on them MAC. In this case, there was no error message but the ProAIS2 software does not see it either.

Does anybody knows what could the problem be? I did not connect it to a GPS antenna yet nor did I connect the nmea 0183 signal cable to the laptop or the 12 V power supply. The installation manual says that the device does not need the 12 volt power connected to connect to a PC with the USB cable. Could it be that the device require the VHF and GPS antenna connected to work at all and let windows recognize it?

Old 28-04-2016, 16:07   #2

Re: comnav mariner X2 AIS not recognized by windows

The manual says 12V is not needed to connect via a PC? Are you talking about the 12V power to the AIS device? If so, that must be a mistake or type. I'm sure the AIS has to be powered on to respond via the serial port.

Old 28-04-2016, 19:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

@ tangle

Are you sure this is always the case.? Is it not possible the chipset inside that responds to programming is powered via the USB?

@OP

BTW I did not know AIS can be reprogrammed at home. They always say on the box you must return it to the dealreship for reprogramming. (Seen this on Simrad and Furuno ones).

Hence if the OP manages this, PLS share the procedure after.

b.
Old 28-04-2016, 22:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
@ tangle

Are you sure this is always the case.? Is it not possible the chipset inside that responds to programming is powered via the USB?

@OP

BTW I did not know AIS can be reprogrammed at home. They always say on the box you must return it to the dealreship for reprogramming. (Seen this on Simrad and Furuno ones).

Hence if the OP manages this, PLS share the procedure after.

b.
No, I'm not sure. I have a Comnav X3 AIS, but I don't know exactly how it's different from the X2 that the OP has. Updating was via a serial port on the AIS, so any USB connection was just to power a serial port on the PC with no power passed to the serial port on the X3. I know on the X3 you have to power on the device.

As for reprogramming, You are typically limited in the fields that you can change. When I've tried to make changes with ProAIS2, MMSI changes have always been locked out. But somewhere there must be a way to override that, or a different tool used by dealers. Getting access to it would be the trick of course. I too would be real interested to hear how it's done if this reprogram of the X2 is successful short of sending it to a dealer.
Old 29-04-2016, 08:21   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I would expect some form of two tier access like user and admin rights based.

If there is an internal battery removing it and leaving the unit for a week then rewiring the battery may reset it. This is how some gps units can be wiped clean.

b.
Old 29-04-2016, 09:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I would expect some form of two tier access like user and admin rights based.

If there is an internal battery removing it and leaving the unit for a week then rewiring the battery may reset it. This is how some gps units can be wiped clean.

b.
I haven't seen any visible way to switch operating modes in ProAIS2, but I've also only used it a couple of times. There might be a magic key sequence or something. I'm frankly surprised it can't be found on the web anywhere, or at least not the last time I looked.

Removing any internal battery is a good idea on older devices, and the X2 may well fit that category. But on newer devices I would have to assume they use flash rather than battery backed memory. But again I'm just guessing from general knowledge, not anything specific about these particular devices.
Old 29-04-2016, 10:09   #7

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

I'm not a very TECH person and this is only what i've read but if you use the regular USB to a type of MINI USB cord or vice versa the MINI END will not have the power lines going into whatever you plug into . So if you are using that type of cord it could be your problem . Just a thought .
Old 29-04-2016, 16:05   #8

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Call Comnav ComNav

or Atlantic Electronics in Hfx

Tags
ais, marine, wind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: