Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 11:34   #1

Boat: Custom 1981
Send a message via ICQ to Kona Send a message via MSN to Kona
Com Ports on Windows 8

Hi Folks.

Took me an eternity to install my GPS dongle and Garmin digital radar antenna on my old windows XP. After a time, all computers dies...

So i have troubleish windows 8 (hate) I HATE IT.

There is no com port on it. I have tried to install usb to com drivers to use with gps usb dongle GT-730F/L

A cd comes with it with tons and tons of drivers... which is which... no idea... even after installing the driver... well there is no com port on the machine so opencpn does not make the cnnnection.

I have a program named GPSInfo that scans all the com ports...to no use. It does not find any...

Hope one of you can help me solve that major problem. I presume i am not the only one to have and i presume we will be a big bunch to F... on this.

Thanks
Kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 21:40   #2

Re: Com Ports on Windows 8

Only certain serial adapters work with windows 8. (The newer chips sets).

You probably need a new USB adapter if its more then a couple years old.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:37   #3

Re: Com Ports on Windows 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post
i have troubleish windows 8 (hate) I HATE IT.

There is no com port on it. I have tried to install usb to com drivers to use with gps usb dongle GT-730F/L
This online store has links to the manual and drivers for a slightly updated(?) version, and they mention Windows 8 in the manual.

I'm using a cheap USB to serial cable for some other stuff (not GPS) on my laptop with Windows 8, and the cable worked right away, with no extra drivers required. So I'd expect USB GPS dongles to work as well.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ports, wind