Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 02:00   #16

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: coastal USA cell phone coverage

I sail the middle and upper Chesapeake a lot. I have an AT&T phone. My partner has a Verizon phone. We find very little difference between the two services from Chesapeake City to the Virginia border.

Last week I sailed up the Bay finishing an offshore delivery with AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint phones on board. Sprint was very problematic until we got North of the Patuxent River. Both Verizon and AT&T had dead spots in mid Bay. I believe the carriers are doing a better job (from their perspective) at tuning coverage areas for each tower and open water is not their priority. We definitely saw a difference between mid-Bay and closer to shore.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:56   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
I have a verizon unlimited data plan. So I'm good there. We need a second phone for the boss. The straight talk android device is on the sprint network so that is the focus of the original question. The viability of sprint.
I can deal with poor signal when out on the water. We want to have decent service when at anchor or at the dock with this phone.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:17   #18

Boat: Tartan 30

Straighttalk uses different networks for different phones. Some of their phones use sprint, some use att, and I think some even use verizon... You can buy an at&t phone (like an iphone) and just get an att compatible sim card from straighttalksim.com and still be on the att network with straighttalk pricing
Old 09-05-2012, 09:27   #19
Marine Service Provider

Call

For android on straight talk you get sprint.
Some of the other smart phones are att & some are verizon. If the model number ends in G, it's att.

We took a left turn...

My verizon droid 3 can act as a wifi hotspot.
Verizon is giving us 2gb for $20 on my existing account. I'm transmitting secure wifi to the i-pad for her surfing needs. It's a separate data stream from my droid data and they claim 30' range.
Then adding a straighttalk/att smartphone for calls, text, e-mails and minimal data at $30. So it looks like a good setup for &50/mo
Old 09-05-2012, 09:39   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Call

For android on straight talk you get sprint.
Some of the other smart phones are att & some are verizon. If the model number ends in G, it's att.

We took a left turn...

My verizon droid 3 can act as a wifi hotspot.
Verizon is giving us 2gb for $20 on my existing account. I'm transmitting secure wifi to the i-pad for her surfing needs. It's a separate data stream from my droid data and they claim 30' range.
Then adding a straighttalk/att smartphone for calls, text, e-mails and minimal data at $30. So it looks like a good setup for &50/mo
I'm using this hotspot with my Droid Galaxy pad right now. I have locked up twice just trying to post this. I nearly always have 4 bars, but it seems the poor service is not related to the reception at all. Often it will be quick for 5 mins or so and then slow down incredibly. They must be buffering or something. I cant wait for my contract to run out. If you see a lot of mis spelled words in my posts (which you do!) it's because it's too much trouble to try to edit them out. Maybe it's better in another part of the country, but my phone service is fine... the data link is terrible...except on an occassional good day..

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 14:20   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cheech
Verizon? Att?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:04   #22

it's Verizon... but keep inmind it's 3G

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags