Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 10:30   #31

Re: Class B AIS waste of money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Class B AIS is as good as you make it.

If ships do not want to see you in a harbor, so be it.

It's the LAW OF TONNAGE. Stay out of their way or pay the price.

There is no "Law of Tonnage" and I often remind large container ships on channel 16, so many other people can also hear, that I am a sailing vessel under sail so they must change their coarse. There is no excuse for a large vessel unless in confined waterways to expect a sailing vessel to get out of their way. They have radar, AIS and someone on watch. 10 nm away with a 1deg change will ensure a miss. They move - that's the rules. And this has been proven in court many times, with manslaughter charges as a result against the Captain. Obviously I wont play the ultimate "chicken" game, but do press the point as they do NOT have a higher status just because they are bigger.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:38   #32

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Shawndear above wrote one of the silliest posts I have read in a long time. He actually wants large merchant vessels to get out of his way! Hahahahahahahahhahahahhaahhaha. Good luck with that my friend! I have a much stronger sense of self preservation than that. I am small. They are large (and cant turn or stop very quickly either). Apart from that, they are doing a job and making a living. I am putzing around on my sailboat not in a hurry to get much of anywhere. I would be a fool (not to mention a few less polite things) not to get out of their way.

Shawndear, are you a lawyer by any chance?

As for AIS I didnt think too much of it until I sailed with it and now would not want to be without it. Sailing up and down Chesapeake Bay at night it really helps to know what those lights out there are, which way they are headed and how fast. Makes for a FAR more relaxing time. Sure, there are times and places where it doesnt get used too much (e.g the eastern Caribe where I am right now) but all you folks reading this should really check it out before you dismiss it on the basis of web comments by sailors who dont have it on their boats.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:41   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndear View Post
There is no "Law of Tonnage" and I often remind large container ships on channel 16, so many other people can also hear, that I am a sailing vessel under sail so they must change their coarse. There is no excuse for a large vessel unless in confined waterways to expect a sailing vessel to get out of their way. They have radar, AIS and someone on watch. 10 nm away with a 1deg change will ensure a miss. They move - that's the rules. And this has been proven in court many times, with manslaughter charges as a result against the Captain. Obviously I wont play the ultimate "chicken" game, but do press the point as they do NOT have a higher status just because they are bigger.
What do you want written on your epitaph; colregs said he was right.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:44   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Class B AIS waste of money

Yup.. force AIS on all boats.. make light recognition/interpretation a redundant relic of yesteryear.. in fact.. why bother with lights..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:47   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
That is plain crazy LOL. Their own fishing boats don't have AIS and foreign yachts are obliged to have? It seems they are not enforcing the measure but it is ridiculous anyway.

In Europe (EC) they have made it mandatory for fishing boats of a given size (15m and over) but till know I heard nothing about making it mandatory to Yachts in a near future.
The Thai fishing fleet is coming under increased regulation but it is difficult to mandate that small fishing vessels buy and operate tracking devices. There is a phase in process for the fishing fleet focusing on those that fish in international / overseas waters. They have they reasonable view that overseas yachts can more easily afford such devices.

The reason for these changes arise from international pressure (USA, EU et al) to act in relation to people smuggling, drugs, illegal fishing .....
Old 02-01-2017, 10:55   #36

Whilst crossing Biscay a couple months ago I accidentally knocked-off the AIS supply switch at the panel. A boat several miles behind immediately called on vhf to check all was well as they'd noticed us disappear from their screen. I was impressed with the person on watch - it was in the middle of the night - and felt reassured that the AIS tx was functioning (or not, as the case was )
Old 02-01-2017, 11:09   #37

Boat: Endeavour, 1983 Sloop, 38 Ft.

I do not know of one commercial Captain that wants to be involved with any collision regardless of the size of boat.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:10   #38

Boat: Morgan, center cockpit sloop, 44 - Enough

Quote:

I knew if I waited long enough someone would pull out the sailboat right of way, you give way to me line. Go for it, take them to court. Sea lawyers, gotta love'm. Read them the colregs over the VHF, shake your fist at them and threaten to sue as they plow you under.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:11   #39
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
What do you want written on your epitaph; colregs said he was right.
" If only I'd remembered rule 2..."

Everything you need is covered in the rules.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:19   #40

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Enough View Post
If your objective is is "be seen by commercial traffic", forget it! I personally have been summoned to the bridge to SPECIFICALLY check Furuno/ECDIS radar settings and ensure that "except class B" is ON, meaning exclude them. .......

Mark Fay,
Merchant Marine Credential Jr. Engineer, QMED, AS-E / MSC ET
I'm just wondering on what sort of ship with what sort of watchkeepers are junior engineers summoned to the bridge to sort out the ECDIS ..
Old 02-01-2017, 12:49   #41

Quote:
Well you certainly copped some flak for coming out and admitting that you stick to the rules. I get where you are coming from but I don't do it. I change my course early so the ship can see what I have done. Also by making my course change early and obvious I am not breaking Colregs by changing course when I am the Stand-on Vessel. Ie well before a close quarters situation develops.
Ships are not in the habit of making 1 degree course changes either. Colregs and good practice require that the change be obvious to the other vessel. Also ships hold their course because they have come to expect small sailing vessels to give way when not required.
As far as the original question about the value of Class B AIS is concerned, I couldn't afford to put Class A on my 10m sailing boat. If I could, I would have purchased the Furuno FA150 because it is a pleasure to use. It does not beep audible alarms at you! I have a Vesper 850 WatchMate and it is OK except for the alarms. Alarms should be optional, it is very annoying having equipment yelling at you when you are attending to more urgent matters.
Dave
Old 02-01-2017, 13:03   #42

Boat: Morgan, center cockpit sloop, 44 - Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I'm just wondering on what sort of ship with what sort of watchkeepers are junior engineers summoned to the bridge to sort out the ECDIS ..

Military Sealift Command Electronics Technician. US Navy Nuke Machinist Mate 1st class, submariner, IBM & Raytheon R&D. I can change the exhaust valve on a Colt Pielstick 10PC4.2 V 570 and troubleshoot, repair and tune an APG-79 radar with the best of them.

QMED, Qualified member of the Engineering Department
AS-E, Able Seafarer Engineering

Still confused?
Old 02-01-2017, 13:09   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
They were tracking you visually and on their X Band 3cm radar. Which can paint very small objects with or without AIS at longer range than you can see them. Their radar scanners are often hundreds of feet above the water.

Mark Fay MMC Jr. Engineer QMED AS-E / MSC ET
And you know this how?
Old 02-01-2017, 13:15   #44

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Military Sealift Command Electronics Technician. US Navy Nuke Machinist Mate 1st class, submariner, IBM & Raytheon R&D. I can change the exhaust valve on a Colt Pielstick 10PC4.2 V 570 and troubleshoot, repair and tune an APG-79 radar with the best of them.

QMED, Qualified member of the Engineering Department
AS-E, Able Seafarer Engineering

Still confused?
You failed to answer the question....

'what sort of ship with what sort of watchkeepers'..

You really work on a ship where the Master and his bridge team can not adjust the settings on their ECDIS without the help of a junior engineer.....?

Sounds pretty much like the lower end of the FOC food chain to me.
Old 02-01-2017, 13:18   #45
SFS

LOL, timing is everything.
Closed Thread

Tags
ais, money