Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2014, 14:01   #106

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat
Re: Class B AIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Indeed. I experienced severe culture shock with the Coast Guard when my center of cruising activity shifted from SW Florida to the UK. The UK Coasties have a completely different mission and attitude -- they are so extremely friendly and helpful -- as if they are there to help you -- what a concept!

They are also excellent radio operators (the radio training in the UK in general is vastly better).
ASIDE: I can't comment on radiotelephone procedure and operating skill in the U.K by their Coast Guard, but I will say that lately the level of skill and radiotelephone procedure I hear from USA Coast Guard operators is not very high. We have done a lot of boating in Canadian water, and for decades enjoyed listening to their live operators reading weather and other marine bulletins, almost always with a Scottish accent. Sadly they're all gone now, too, replace by computer generated voices or recorded messages.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 14:40   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Am I the OP? If so I absolutely want to xmit
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 16:07   #108
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Am I the OP? If so I absolutely want to xmit

Sorry, your thread has been lost in a mud slide of techno talk, acronyms and initialisations.....

Just go buy the one you can afford with a usb plug.

Oooops, USB is an initialisation

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 16:24   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey no problem, until they got way over my head, I was learning something

I want Wifi, I assume there are plotters that are Wifi and can display AIS targets?
I would also assume that soon if not already that RADAR etc will be wifi, hopefully meaning all you would have to run to it , is power? Be nice to only have one power supply cable going up the mast and everything be wifi, even the anchor light wouldn't it?
Old 16-10-2014, 16:26   #110

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I have the vesper marine vision mate. Great purchase! I use it as a stand alone and when I m cruising any distance I mount my iPad above my wheel and use INAVX with all of the AIS data sent to it by wifi. I agree that it has been one of my better purchases. We do a lot of night sailing and it is a nice added feature. I have had a few problems understanding something and the guys at vesper respond extremely fast to my questions.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 16:29   #111

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

The vesper vision mate is both transmit and receive. I use an antenna specific for it and can see out around 24 miles

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 16:33   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That one is I believe what I will end up with, question becomes buy it now, or wait until we actually leave full time?
I was about to order it, but Mon morning I found out the wife's car needed two tires $300, and the washing machine finally died $500
Maybe next month
Old 16-10-2014, 17:04   #113

Boat: Valiant 42

Unless you frequent crowded shipping lanes I would wait until you are about 6 months from leaving. Technology is moving fast and bugs are still being worked out. Prices are still going down too.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 18:55   #114

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Hey no problem, until they got way over my head, I was learning something

I want Wifi, I assume there are plotters that are Wifi and can display AIS targets?
I would also assume that soon if not already that RADAR etc will be wifi, hopefully meaning all you would have to run to it , is power? Be nice to only have one power supply cable going up the mast and everything be wifi, even the anchor light wouldn't it?
I think you are a little off the track. While the AIS and the plotter may have WIFI, they use this exclusively to communicate with an iPad or similar device. An AIS will NOT transmit the data to the plotter via WIFI. This is exclusively done via NMEA0183 or NMEA2000 or derivaties of these standard AND this travels via cable. I don't see RADAR coming any time soon with wireless data transfer to the plotter.

I may be wrong, but that is what I know.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 03:54   #115

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roetter View Post
I think you are a little off the track. While the AIS and the plotter may have WIFI, they use this exclusively to communicate with an iPad or similar device. An AIS will NOT transmit the data to the plotter via WIFI. This is exclusively done via NMEA0183 or NMEA2000 or derivaties of these standard AND this travels via cable. I don't see RADAR coming any time soon with wireless data transfer to the plotter.

I believe Furuno recently introduced a radar unit that sends via bluetooth (could be Wifi) from the radar unit to the screen (I asked, but they said I could not rig this unit to my MFD12)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 04:11   #116

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Yep , saw one of the Furuno radars at the Auckland boat show.... wifi(?) to your Ipad... not for me....
Scanner still needs hard wired 12V
My AIS... an AMEC Camino 101.. could be bought with the optional bluetooth.... dunno how that worked or what it worked with.. http://www.milltechmarine.com/custom...101_manual.pdf
Old 17-10-2014, 04:40   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Unless you frequent crowded shipping lanes I would wait until you are about 6 months from leaving. Technology is moving fast and bugs are still being worked out. Prices are still going down too.
I see your point, and I may wait, just I'm waiting for a lot of things and darnit, I want some toys Plus honestly from a financial perspective it's sometime easier to spread things out a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by roetter View Post

Thank you, that is exactly the info I need

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Yep , saw one of the Furuno radars at the Auckland boat show.... wifi(?) to your Ipad... not for me....
Scanner still needs hard wired 12V
My AIS... an AMEC Camino 101.. could be bought with the optional bluetooth.... dunno how that worked or what it worked with.. http://www.milltechmarine.com/custom...101_manual.pdf
I hope soon that we will see more wireless devices meant to communicate with each other, be nice to not to have to run all of that wire, except of course power.
Wouldn't a portable plotter that would display speed, depth, position, RADAR and AIS be nice to have? If this data was wireless then you could have that
Old 17-10-2014, 05:59   #118

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
AIS transmissions are one-way broadcast transmissions. Please explain how there is error correction.

I'd have thought an "error correction" capability would more likely be associated with the GPS receiver accuracy. IOW, before AIS broadcast. Perhaps either DGPS when near enough, or WAAS-corrected...

Since DGPS probably doesn't make as much sense if way offshore... I expected our unit would tell me ours is WAAS-corrected...

But the manual simply says (on the topic of correction):

4.10 DGPS data correcting By AIS information

And I'm not exactly sure what that means

-Chris

Old 17-10-2014, 19:58   #119

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I'd have thought an "error correction" capability would more likely be associated with the GPS receiver accuracy.
You have formed the wrong impression. The reference to "error correction" was in regard to forward correction of error in digital data transmission over a one-way broadcast radio link, not to uncertainty or inaccuracy in a position solution of a global navigation satellite system.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 05:32   #120

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
You have formed the wrong impression. The reference to "error correction" was in regard to forward correction of error in digital data transmission over a one-way broadcast radio link, not to uncertainty or inaccuracy in a position solution of a global navigation satellite system.

Ah. Fair enough.

-Chris

Tags
ais