Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 10:55   #1

Boat: Grace 30
Choosing a proper microphone

Hello guys
When out at sea, as you might know there can sometimes be quite a lot of wind and when i'm taking a video with my camera it's really hard to get other noise then the wind howling. I'm looking for a microphone which i can use with a normal smartphone and a video camera. Thinking about buying a lavalier microphone which i can plug in a smartphone and video camera. how far can i get with 80 USD?
Sincerely
ModernViking
modernviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 15:02   #2

Re: Choosing a proper microphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernviking View Post
Hello guys
When out at sea, as you might know there can sometimes be quite a lot of wind and when i'm taking a video with my camera it's really hard to get other noise then the wind howling. I'm looking for a microphone which i can use with a normal smartphone and a video camera. Thinking about buying a lavalier microphone which i can plug in a smartphone and video camera. how far can i get with 80 USD?

To have the lowest wind noise, you have two considerations - mic design and wind protection.

Mic design - omnidirectional mics are far less sensitive to wind than directional microphones, because omni mics are sealed all the way around except for the diaphragm, whereas directional mics have ports and openings which create the directionality, but are also little wind tunnels. So... at your price point, you definitely want an omni.

Wind protection - some mics come with little foamy things which offer some protection, but you can also improvise. If you can breathe through a piece of soft foam, it will serve as wind protection. You can also use a chunk of furnace filter. And you can visit a camera-A/V store to see what commercial wind filters are available.

This mic or similar could be a good starting point, and all you'd have to do is maybe add some more wind protection. If you can solder, you could make your own mic; the electret capsules themselves are actually like $2 or less.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone, rope