Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2017, 11:24   #1

Boat: Heritage 35
Choice between Icom and Standard Horizon fixed mount VHF's

Hi all.
Have to replace my sailor vhf. Looking at an Icom with gps or Standard Horizon with gps, Don't need ais as have one. any thoughts.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 11:41   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Choice between Icom and Standard Horizon fixed mount VHF's

Even if you already have AIS, there is a benefit to a VHF radio with an AIS display (like the SH GX2000), because it allows you to make a DSC call to an AIS target without having to type in the MMSI. I don't have first hand experience with Icom radios, but Standard Horizon are very well built and a little less expensive. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand, so it's just a matter of comparing the features and controls and deciding which one you like better.
Old 23-04-2017, 11:46   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

You may want to quote the actual models you are looking at. Possibly some users will then chime in.

We have a SH unit that replaced an older Icom unit. The SH unit has the better voice quality but the Icom was from 2000 and the SH is from 2010.

Both companies are known to make good and reliable radios. I would buy either again.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 11:59   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Yaesu makes SH. If the question is which manufacturer is 'better', they are equivalent. SH is nothing more than a re-branded Yaesu to create the appearance of an American nameplate. Rather disingenuous marketing in my opinion although I have some Yaesu equipment which I like.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 14:22   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

ICOM ICOM ICOM
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 14:42   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

Kalinka,
As others have said both manufacture good radios....
Your choice might come down to what features you desire, brand loyalty, price, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
Hi all.
Have to replace my sailor vhf. Looking at an Icom with gps or Standard Horizon with gps, Don't need ais as have one. any thoughts.
Icom versus Vertex / Yaesu / Standard Horizon (all the same company / same radio assembly line)??
If these are your absolute criteria ("Looking at an Icom with gps or Standard Horizon with gps, Don't need ais as have one.")
Then:
Icom offers the M-324G, and M-424G.
M324 Series VHF Marine Transceiver - Features - Icom America
M424G VHF Marine Transceiver - Features - Icom America

S/H offers the GX-1700..
Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

I'm an Icom guy, never had issues with them and highly recommend them (bought my first Icom rig in 1982)...but, I also have some great Vertex/Yaesu gear (VHF repeaters) as well...
They are both good manufactures (but I prefer Icom)...
So, as I wrote above....Your choice might come down to what features you desire, brand loyalty, price, etc

Now, if your criteria is not absolute, you will have more choices....
And, also be sure to choose a radio that allows you to use at least one remote mic/control (commandmic / rammic)....even if you think you'll not need it much, you WILL! (I never understood anyone on a boat bigger than 25' - 27', without a VHF radio with a remote mic!)

Also, remember that if you're replacing an older radio, you should REALLY consider replacing the masthead antenna AND all of your coaxial cable!!
Yes, it is a pain, but you'll notice a difference and it's not like it costs much money....it almost all just your time!!

So, if you can handle radios with other features, and/or ones that accept NMEA derived position data from an external GPS (like 99% of the VHF radios out there, on-board, today), then here are some other choices for you!
{Please note that I have a Gramin GPS76, which feeds GPS position data to my radios, see photos below....this is a separate / dedicated GPS unit, that I use just to feed the radios (and provide some 24/7 redundancy)...this is what I have always (for the last 15+ years) recommended, and is still what I recommend, especially to provide position data to your MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radio...}

Icom's newest, top-of-the-line M-605 is great radio, and will serve you well for a couple decades....but, it is pricey...(Class D DSC-VHF-FM Radio, with built-in GPS and AIS receiver)
M605 VHF Marine Transceiver - Features - Icom America
{This would be my choice!!}

The Icom M-604A (which the M-605 is replacing) is just as good, and should be available to you in Canada at a good price..(Class D DSC-VHF-FM Radio, needs and external GPS position input), I have two M-602's, and love 'em!!
M604A VHF Marine Transceiver - Features - Icom America

The Icom's M-506, is a little less expensive, but a great radio..
(Class D DSC-VHF-FM Radio, with built-in AIS receiver)
M506 VHF Marine Transceiver - Features - Icom America

From Standard Horizon, you have:
GX-2000 (Class D DSC-VHF-FM Radio, with built-in AIS receiver)

GX-5500S (Class D DSC-VHF-FM Radio)

GX-2200 (Class D DSC-VHF-FM Radio, with built-in GPS and AIS receiver)

I hope this helps...

Fair winds...

John

P.S. Here is a pic of my Nav Station....showing my radios...and note the Gramin GPS76, which feeds GPS position data to my radios....this is a separate / dedicated GPS unit, that I use just to feed the radios (and provide some 24/7 redundancy)

ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 03:22   #7

Boat: Jeanneau Voyage 37 ft

I bought the Icom 424G when replacing an old Icom M80H (bulky, was a dutch version and some high number channeles were not international hence sometimes reception issues.

I bought the Icom because:
- Icom is top (but I have also kenwood and Yesu ham equipment)
- the G version because I had to replace the old GPS unit at the nav station that went Silent Key and now I have the VHF also offering GPS position (all I need at the nav station).

Jan
Goudurix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 08:04   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

I just replaced my Standard Horizon GX2150 VHF with a B&G V50 and dual H50 remote handsets.

I like the SH radio, but it is only NMEA0183 and was the only device on our vessel that still was. I bought the H50 because it would accept NMEA2000 GPS data and transmit AIS/DSC data to both my displays. I also liked being able to have multiple remote handsets instead of the single wired remote.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 09:09   #9

Boat: Purchase pending
Send a message via Skype™ to budm303

Generally speaking, Icom is superior (if you can afford it)--since the '70s.
[KV4FR] In my opinion ... .
budm303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 09:13   #10

Kalinka,
My first criteria is:
A radio that is 100% reliable, and has excellent receiver (not IMD issues) and good/crisp transmit audio....and those are usually served by only the high-end units!
And, especially by the top-of-the-line Icom's....(you see references to some being rated #1 by Practical Sailor, etc. and while there's no question that Icom makes some of the best consumer-grade marine radios, they do spec-out as good as the industrial/commercial-grade rigs....some manufacturers even try touting their units as having "commercial-grade" receivers, etc.,)

And, in addition to mine, as you can see there are other criteria that others use...such as needoing a new GPS, or needing NMEA2000...or even if the radio fits their existing panel, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
I just replaced my Standard Horizon GX2150 VHF with a B&G V50 and dual H50 remote handsets.

I like the SH radio, but it is only NMEA0183 and was the only device on our vessel that still was. I bought the H50 because it would accept NMEA2000 GPS data and transmit AIS/DSC data to both my displays. I also liked being able to have multiple remote handsets instead of the single wired remote.
And, FYI...I made a typo in my post above...where I parenthetically referred to the S/H GX2000 as having an AIS receiver....which it does not!
I meant to say it has an AIS display, and needs an AIS transponder or receiver to display the AIS data...
Sorry about that!
My brain knew better, but my fingers seem to have a mind of their own...

And, BTW....the Icom M-506 and M-605 are both NMEA2000/NMEA0183 capable....with the M-324G, M-424G, and M-604A, being NMEA0183 only...
And, all the Icom's listed, except for the entry-level M-324G, have remote "COMMANDMIC" microphone capability...some even support 2 or 3 remotes...

And, all the above listed S/H models have remote "RAMIC" capability...but none are NMEA2000 capable...
Although the soon-to-be released GX-6500 (with built-in AIS transponder), and possibly the "coming soon" GX-6000 (with AIS receiver) will be NMEA2000 capable...

Although, having a NMEA2000 VHF radio isn't a big deal to most (at least I don't see it), you can adapt most VHF's to NMEA2000 as long as the have NMEA0183 in and out, you can add a NMEA2000 converter and you're good to go!

Hope this helps some more..

Fair winds..

John
Old 24-04-2017, 09:23   #11

Boat: J/42

Very impressive and comprehensive, ka4wja.
Slight correction: The SH GX2000 does not have built-in AIS or GPS, but accepts input from external devices and displays them on its screen(s), including the optional RAM mic. (I have had two of them.)
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 09:30   #12

Todd,

Thanks.
It was a typo...See my correction above...(sorry, but Cruisers Forum won't allow me to go back an correct a typo, so I just have to post a correction and hope others see it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Very impressive and comprehensive, ka4wja.
Slight correction: The SH GX2000 does not have built-in AIS or GPS, but accepts input from external devices and displays them on its screen(s), including the optional RAM mic. (I have had two of them.)
Fair winds..

John
Old 24-04-2017, 10:31   #13

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I work from results, not name brands. I started with ICOM, but I've gradually gone to SH. I have an SX-2200, complete with RAM mic and even the optional foghorn. Not documented is that the foghorn/PA is also a mic, meaning that inside the pilothouse I can hear not only the foredeck (handy for anchoring) but also chatter from other boats!

Another reason is that I now have three SH handhelds: an old 471SX, an 850 and a new this year 870. All are MMSI-equipped and give me no issues in terms of "ringing" the base unit.

Anyway, while I will be getting an AIS transceiver, I still use the built-in AIS of the SH VHF as described: to call other AIS-transmitting traffic and to get quick bearings and closing speeds. Belt and suspenders stuff now, but as nav aids become AIS-equipped ("virtual buoyage"), I expect it to become more useful.

The NMEA 0183 output doesn't bother me, as it's standalone. Any plotter I have (either on a PC, tablet or small MFD) will be separately connected, again, in the interests of simplicity and redundancy.

I like ICOM (I have an M-802 SSB and had an simple M-45 VHF in a previous boat), but small things like price and feature set has me preferring SH. They are also running rebates at the moment.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 10:47   #14

Boat: J/42

When I replaced the VHF, I did look at going to Icom. (Hey, wouldn't it be cool if the VHF and the SSB matched!) There wasn't really that big a price difference for the same sorts of features. I guess already having the RAM mic and hailer installed was the tipping factor.

BTW: Hailer as mic is not enabled for the GX2000, for some reason. But I put mine way up under the radome, on the mast. (Not sure I'd do that again.) Don't know how useful a mic up there would be?
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 11:10   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
Hi all.
I am never sure why so many people are high on Icom. However, since they are, I purchased an M503 8 years ago. I have had persistent problems. The first problem, Icom stood behind their warranty and fixed, though with me covering all shipping costs to their repair facilities. Since then, after the radio is on for an hour or more, most, yet not all, channels build up static. I can use Sql to quiet it but after a few minutes it comes back. This continues until the Sql is turned all the way up. I have a very competent electronics person who has never been able to explain or repair the problem. For this reason, I will always stay away from Icom on future purchases.
sailguy98245 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, vhf