Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-07-2015, 22:36   #121

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
Re: Chartplotter with 4G Radar - B&G or Simrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
...Don't lead me to believe that "engineering" and "product development" are working on software to fix this, only to tell me five months later that it ain't happening. REALLY?

I've not hooked up the paddle wheel to see if the SailSteer works. Dammit if that fails, then West Marine is getting all of my B&G stuff back, just on principal of the thing. Their stuff is good, but not so good that they can lie to a customer for months and it not affect them.
Yes. My tech thought "CALL" worked because it apparently does on Simrad. Now, there are no promises.

The SailSteer does work. I like it very much. It shows the mark's bearing and true wind direct graphically. Going up wind, when the wind shifts away from the mark, you can see immediately it may be time to tack. Very cool.

I'll update if new software actually appears.

Old 16-08-2015, 19:23   #122

The call button only works with the RS90 and V90 radios. The software on the MFD side has been out for nearly a year but the RS35 and V50 radios need an update.

Watch this space the last few bug fixes are being tested now.

Old 17-08-2015, 06:25   #123

Boat: 2002 Seawind 1000 (33 ft) Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty007 View Post
The call button only works with the RS90 and V90 radios. The software on the MFD side has been out for nearly a year but the RS35 and V50 radios need an update.
Rusty, are you associated with B&G? How about interfacing the call button with standard PGN's so that the Icom will work with your Zeus plotter combination as well? As I was told it would as per email from B&G back in March?
Old 18-08-2015, 00:22   #124

As far as I know there is no standard PGN that will support this feature. The MFD will send out a broadcast to see if any Radio supports the feature, if there is no reply then the call button will be greyed out.
Old 18-08-2015, 06:27   #125

Quote:
As far as I know there is no standard PGN that will support this feature. The MFD will send out a broadcast to see if any Radio supports the feature, if there is no reply then the call button will be greyed out.
My May 8 email from B&G Tech Rep says "I'm told that the MFD sends out a query to the VHF, to see if it can transmit. If it doesn't get a response, then it won't be available. This is proprietary to us, HOWEVER, they are considering talking to ICOM among other manufacturers, to include them also."

As I purchased the Icom 506-11 - which is DSC and N2K, and B&G said back in March would work with the call feature on Zeus2 - can you tell expected time frame that software update on Zeus2 will provide for this feature to work on the Icom? Vesper Watchmate has been interfacing with Icom 506 to make DSC calls for over two years now.
Old 18-08-2015, 21:27   #126

Does your Vesper have N2K? I think it uses NMEA0183 sentences. Did you check with Icom if they intend to work with B&G. As far as I can tell there are no standard PGN's that can do the job needed. If the Icom would respond to the PGN's the B&G sends then it would work. But that's a Icom upgrade not B&G.

My point of posting here was to let every one know that if you have a V50 or RS35 then an upgrade is coming soon. Sorry but I don't know about making it work with other brands.
Old 18-08-2015, 21:53   #127

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Quote:
Does your Vesper have N2K? I think it uses NMEA0183 sentences. Did you check with Icom if they intend to work with B&G. As far as I can tell there are no standard PGN's that can do the job needed. If the Icom would respond to the PGN's the B&G sends then it would work. But that's a Icom upgrade not B&G.

My point of posting here was to let every one know that if you have a V50 or RS35 then an upgrade is coming soon. Sorry but I don't know about making it work with other brands.
Good news. Can't wait.
Old 19-08-2015, 01:34   #128

Whats wrong with opencpn? Its free and chart updates software updates are free as well
Index of /

I'm tired of spending thousands on chart plotters with issues and incompatabilities so I have been playing with opencpn. But only costal and bay so far.
You can use any netbook, laptop, pc, and what ever display you wish. Their are lots of mil spec displays out there that can take a beating in any weather
Old 19-08-2015, 08:00   #129

Quote:
Does your Vesper have N2K? I think it uses NMEA0183 sentences.
The Vesper is an XB8000 unit, which is on the N2K network. Zeus2 displays the AIS info received thru N2K. The Vesper does not have a stand-alone display – I depend on the Zeus2 for that.

Quote:
Did you check with Icom if they intend to work with B&G. As far as I can tell there are no standard PGN's that can do the job needed. If the Icom would respond to the PGN's the B&G sends then it would work. But that's a Icom upgrade not B&G.
REALLY? This I find amazing. Remember, I am the customer, the one who purchased the Zeus2 and Icom radio after written confirmation by Navico Tech Support that the call feature would work with this radio. (Reference March 16 email from Steve, Navico Technical Support) I’ve got a dozen emails to Navico trying to understand how this feature works with Zeus2, so that I – the consumer – could try to figure out how to fix it. I now know more about NMEA0183 sentences and NMEA2000 PGN’s that I ever wanted to know. It took forever for Tech Support to finally tell me that this works via “proprietary” protocol. You confirmed that above. SO WHY WOULD I CONTACT ICOM AND ASK THEM ABOUT WORKING WITH B&G, AND USING PGN's? Now you are saying that B&G sends PGN’s to do this? Hmmm. AND WHY IS IT MY JOB TO BE NAVICO PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT AND INTERMEDIARY WITH ICOM FOR A ZEUS2 FEATURE I WAS PROMISED PRE-PURCHASE ALREADY WORKED?

Oh, and read the Zeus2 Operating Manual regarding this feature: “Calling an AIS vessel from the Zeus2. If the Zeus2 system includes a VHF radio supporting DSC (Digital Select Calling) calls over NMEA 2000, you can initiate a DSC call to that vessel from the Zeus2” Hmmm, I DON’T read in there “has to be a B&G VHF.” Your prepurchase confirmation DIDN’T say “sorry, the Icom won’t work with our system.” In fact, it said the opposite.

If you were really sincere about making this combo work, YOU (B&G/Navico) would follow thru with Icom. If you want some education on this, I can recommend starting with a Panbo Forum article “Direct DSC VHF Calls to AIS Targets, a NMEA 2000 Standard?”, by Ben on April 2, 2015. Note they say that Simrad (Navico?) uses PGN 130842 which is proprietary and listed in the B&G Installation Manual as SimNet DSC Message, but only as a Receive PGN. So that still doesn’t tell me what it uses to trigger (Transmit, not Receive) the DSC call prompt by Zeus2. Here is a link to the Panbo article:

http://www.panbo.com/forum/2015/04/direct-dsc-vhf-calls-to-ais-targets-a-nmea-2000-standard.html

As for Icom, the model is 506-11, and their list of PGN’s is in their operating manual which is posted on the internet as well. Zeus2 PGN’s are in the Installation Manual.

As an aside, the Vesper Watchmate 850 has a stand-alone display, which can log a DSC call to the Icom 506 VHF with the tap of the screen, the way that Zeus2 is supposed to work. The XB8000 unit can log a call to Icom 506, but requires that I used a mobile app on a tablet or phone to trigger XB to make the call. So it appears that Vesper has cracked the code to interface with Icom. Seems sorta silly that I would have a high-dollar Zeus2 chartplotter that cannot do the same.

Quote:

“Rusty007”, I am not sure which of the B&G/Navico Techs you are. I have emailed and talked with both Bill and Steve, but I also understand there is a third. I can understand your desire to fix the problem that Zeus2 call feature won’t work with your own B&G VHF, as well as the host of other issues people had raised about that VHF. How about addressing my issue as well, standing behind the pre-purchase assurance? The follow-ups that Engineering or Product Development is working on this? You can PM me if you need more info. Or Bill and Steve know my name, my phone number and my email. Frankly I would be happy to work with anyone that doesn't come back after months with a "it's proprietary" or "buy a B&G VHF" statement to explain what is being done to address my problem.
Old 19-08-2015, 08:01   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Whats wrong with opencpn? Its free and chart updates software updates are free as well
Index of /

I'm tired of spending thousands on chart plotters with issues and incompatabilities so I have been playing with opencpn. But only costal and bay so far.
Yeah, maybe that is the answer. But I just spent thousands on a B&G system. For that money, I really expect it to work as promised.

Tags
chartplotter, radar, simrad

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: