Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2015, 06:22   #106

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Chartplotter with 4G Radar - B&G or Simrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
B&G Zeus 11 - Yes, there is. Page 21 of your manual, "look ahead" mode.
Thanks for that Matt - looks like that will improve things.

On my list of things to do is to reread the operating manual. I went thru the installation manual when I put it in, and setup to run. Most things are intuitive and the menu's easy to follow. I am really going to like this unit, but just have to learn B&G after years of Garmin usage!
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 07:16   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Do you have your Icom hooked up to your Zeus and vesper? For ais and dsc calling? Also for distress signaling?
The Icom is a 506-11, which is N2K networked. As such, it sees the AIS info from Vesper, and the location info from one of the three GPS's on the network. (I can't say that I know which GPS it is getting info from. Zeus2 allows the user to select which one it uses - either the Vesper GPS, the built-in GPS on the Zeus2, or the external ZG100. Zeus2 is using the ZG100.) I can see the AIS info on the Zeus2 - it shows up as a triangle. You tap the triangle, and a menu comes up with vessel info, speed, course, etc. I will digress a moment and say that B&G says that if I had a B&G VHF on the network, I could select "call" from that same menu and it would make a DSC call to the AIS vessel. That feature does not work with the Icom, as it appears that call-up is proprietary B&G language of sorts. Still working that one out.

As for the Icom, it has a screen and shows the AIS vessels on it as well. It is just much smaller than the Zeus2 and not in a convenient location. You can set the scale to see various distances on that screen. You can select AIS and tap thru the vessels until you get to the one you want to call, and then select call and it will log a DSC call. Or I suspect there is a list of boat names that you can do the same, but I have not fully investigated this. For distress signaling, yes, I am hooked up. And I have made a DSC call, but the ship did not answer. What I was surprised to find on the ICW trip was that tows just used VHF channel 16 and not DSC.

Quote:
The charts you talk about, is that the package that comes with the unit on Defender? I know they have two separate units one with charts and the other without a certain charts..
The bundled charts that come with the units do not have the resolution of the specific area charts you purchase separately. I have the C-map Max N+ Wide electronic chip that covers the Gulf of Mexico and Carribean. It has much more detail than the bundled chart, plus has tide info, etc.

I think both of their units have bundled, lower-resolution charts. Just by different companies.

Quote:
Why are you happy with the 9"? Were you thinking about the 7 or the 12 originally?
I was afraid the 7 inch would be too small for my old eyes, and the 12 inch is huge - and a jump in price.

Finally, I have purchased a lot of equipment from Defender. My new Icom came from them as well. But B&G controls pricing so you will probably find the same unit price at Defender vs West Marine. I had to pay sales tax on local WM purchase, but would have paid shipping from Defender. In the end, I managed to time the purchase with a West Marine triple-points event, and as I am a Gold Advantage Member got 12% of the purchase price back in West Marine coupons. And if I had problems with the unit, I could easily return to local WM for a swapout. Something to consider. (And no, I am not affiliated in any way with WM!)
Old 29-06-2015, 07:34   #108

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
...B&G says that if I had a B&G VHF on the network, I could select "call" from that same menu and it would make a DSC call to the AIS vessel. That feature does not work with the Icom, as it appears that call-up is proprietary B&G language of sorts. Still working that one out...
I have a complete BandG system including Zeus2, AIS-400 transponder and V-50 VHF. The push button "CALL" feature on the Z2 is grayed out and doesn't work. My tech says the Simrad version does work but this is the first complete BandG system he has done. We have a call in to tech support.

Does anyone have a BandG system with the AIS/CALL feature functioning?
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 08:08   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
I have a complete BandG system including Zeus2, AIS-400 transponder and V-50 VHF. The push button "CALL" feature on the Z2 is grayed out and doesn't work. My tech says the Simrad version does work but this is the first complete BandG system he has done. We have a call in to tech support.

Please PM me when you get it working. I have talked with two of their techs several times about this issue, and a bunch of emails. Before I purchased all of the equipment, I got email confirmation from them that the Icom would work as well. Now they say it has to be their VHF. It has been frustrating as hell dealing with B&G Technical Support.

The latest is "I'm told that the MFD sends out a query to the VHF, to see if it can transmit. If it doesn't get a response, then it won't be available. This is proprietary to us, HOWEVER, they are considering talking to ICOM among other manufacturers, to include them also."

I responded asking whether that is done via N2K PGN or NMEA0183, or what - trying to understand if there is something else I should try. Response: "The Zeus would give the VHF a position fix. The Zeus can receive DCS information from NMEA2000 or NMEA0183 from the VHF.
Any other questions let us know." Huh? About half of their responses seem to completely ignore what the true problem is. And again, I was given assurances that all of this would work before I purchased their system. Now I am at the mercy of product development, who probably have no reason to ever get this to work with a competitor radio.
Old 29-06-2015, 17:45   #110

Quote:

I have the same components: Zeus2, NAIS-400, and V-50. All B&G branded. My call button is grayed out also. I think maybe it just doesn't work.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 18:08   #111

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

I have the Zeus2, V-50 but Si-Tex AIS which is also a SRT system but like everyone else pushing the Call button does nothing. Maybe something needs to configured for it to work?
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 18:41   #112

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

B&G just need to get their act together. If I were you guys I would individually start going up the ladder at B&G. Often going to marketing will get more action than going to support.

However, please keep this thread updated as often this kind of publicity will get the most action.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 05:16   #113

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
The Icom is a 506-11, which is N2K networked. As such, it sees the AIS info from Vesper, and the location info from one of the three GPS's on the network. (I can't say that I know which GPS it is getting info from. Zeus2 allows the user to select which one it uses - either the Vesper GPS, the built-in GPS on the Zeus2, or the external ZG100. Zeus2 is using the ZG100.) I can see the AIS info on the Zeus2 - it shows up as a triangle. You tap the triangle, and a menu comes up with vessel info, speed, course, etc. I will digress a moment and say that B&G says that if I had a B&G VHF on the network, I could select "call" from that same menu and it would make a DSC call to the AIS vessel. That feature does not work with the Icom, as it appears that call-up is proprietary B&G language of sorts. Still working that one out.

As for the Icom, it has a screen and shows the AIS vessels on it as well. It is just much smaller than the Zeus2 and not in a convenient location. You can set the scale to see various distances on that screen. You can select AIS and tap thru the vessels until you get to the one you want to call, and then select call and it will log a DSC call. Or I suspect there is a list of boat names that you can do the same, but I have not fully investigated this. For distress signaling, yes, I am hooked up. And I have made a DSC call, but the ship did not answer. What I was surprised to find on the ICW trip was that tows just used VHF channel 16 and not DSC.

The bundled charts that come with the units do not have the resolution of the specific area charts you purchase separately. I have the C-map Max N+ Wide electronic chip that covers the Gulf of Mexico and Carribean. It has much more detail than the bundled chart, plus has tide info, etc.

I think both of their units have bundled, lower-resolution charts. Just by different companies.

I was afraid the 7 inch would be too small for my old eyes, and the 12 inch is huge - and a jump in price.

Finally, I have purchased a lot of equipment from Defender. My new Icom came from them as well. But B&G controls pricing so you will probably find the same unit price at Defender vs West Marine. I had to pay sales tax on local WM purchase, but would have paid shipping from Defender. In the end, I managed to time the purchase with a West Marine triple-points event, and as I am a Gold Advantage Member got 12% of the purchase price back in West Marine coupons. And if I had problems with the unit, I could easily return to local WM for a swapout. Something to consider. (And no, I am not affiliated in any way with WM!)
Thanks for the information, very helpful.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 14:40   #114

Quote:

Smokester, JayH, northwestsailor and others. B&G has crapped out on the DSC call feature. In March - before I purchased any equipment - the B&G tech emailed that the Icom radio I was considering would interface with the Zeus2 and the DSC call feature. After purchasing all of the equipment, I found out it would not work. In the past four months I have been led to believe they are working on this. I queried them again yesterday asking about progress, and today received the response that this feature required use of their radio, and is a "proprietary protocol". In subsequent conversation, the Tech admitted that the user manual and all of their marketing material did not state this, but that's the deal and they are not working on interfacing with non-B&G. I told them about your B&G radios not working either, and no response. This really pisses me off as it was one of the features I was really looking forward to using, went to the trouble of confirming the Icom would work (before buying it), and now this. Not even a "sorry" buddy.

I have not heard from anyone who has this feature actually working. Not sure what else can be done, and I've asked them what we need to do to get them to work on it, and no response. I will probably make a separate thread elsewhere just so people considering purchase of the B&G Zeus2 know this feature doesn't work. They have no issue with the fact that they are advertising a feature that doesn't work, and don't plan to make work anytime in the near future. BTW, I did tell them Vesper Marine figured out how to interface with the Icom 506 two years ago, so we know it can be done. Guess they are not up to the challenge. (That's about the nicest way I can put it at the moment, and need to chill out after being mislead by their techs for months. Later)
Old 30-07-2015, 15:23   #115

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Quote:
I have a complete BandG system including Zeus2, AIS-400 transponder and V-50 VHF. The push button "CALL" feature on the Z2 is grayed out and doesn't work. My tech says the Simrad version does work but this is the first complete BandG system he has done. We have a call in to tech support...
Quote:
Please PM me when you get it working...
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
I have the Zeus2, V-50 but Si-Tex AIS which is also a SRT system but like everyone else pushing the Call button does nothing. Maybe something needs to configured for it to work?
Quote:
Smokester, JayH, northwestsailor and others. B&G has crapped out on the DSC call feature....
Well, my tech came back yesterday and the answer (drum roll, please):
The AIS "CALL" button is not implemented on the Zeus2 .

Hopefully, it will be a future software update.

Also, a "Watch Mode" whereby the 4G radar comes to life periodically, scans, and then turns off, doesn't exist for BandG and Simrad. Since almost every other brand has this, I assumed it. Wrong again.

Otherwise, I am very happy with the BandG system.
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 18:15   #116

Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

I have the Zeus2 and B&G V50 and the AIS call function does not work. So they have some work to do. Also the ARPA does not work with their GPS/compass GS25, I think. Otherwise all is decent but not perfect.

VHF keeps switching itself to WX without user input but still displays Ch 16. Very annoying. But haven't been able to call tech support yet.
Old 30-07-2015, 18:21   #117

Boat: Cascade 36

Quote:
VHF keeps switching itself to WX without user input but still displays Ch 16. Very annoying. But haven't been able to call tech support yet.
I keep having this issue as well. Should you ever find a solution please post it.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 18:21   #118

Quote:
Well, my tech came back yesterday and the answer (drum roll, please):
The AIS "CALL" button is not implemented on the Zeus2 .

Hopefully, it will be a future software update.
Well the &@#!%#'s never said anything about that, and I know both of the techs by name, and have talked at length to them about this several times. THE ONLY REPLY THAT THEY ARE CONSISTENT WITH IS THAT I NEED TO BUY ONE OF THEIR RADIOS FOR IT TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As pissed as I am now, I would go ballistic if I had followed their advice and purchased their radio and it didn't work. How about some honesty B&G? If the damn thing doesn't work - fess up. Don't lead me to believe that "engineering" and "product development" are working on software to fix this, only to tell me five months later that it ain't happening. REALLY?

I've not hooked up the paddle wheel to see if the SailSteer works. Dammit if that fails, then West Marine is getting all of my B&G stuff back, just on principal of the thing. Their stuff is good, but not so good that they can lie to a customer for months and it not affect them.
Old 30-07-2015, 18:25   #119

Quote:
If I forget, PM me tomorrow and I will give you one of their techs name, his email address, and his phone extension tomorrow. As best I can tell, there are only two techs - Bill and Steve - and with my experiences, I can't see which is the best (or worse). Certainly don't depend on anything they tell you.
Old 30-07-2015, 19:44   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
I keep having this issue as well. Should you ever find a solution please post it.
Maybe the USCG needs to know about this as it prevents us from continuous monitoring CH 16. Of course B&G being a foreign company probably does give a hoot about the U.S. Coast guard.

Tags
chartplotter, radar, simrad