Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2014, 14:14   #16

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Re: Changing depth/speed transducer 'sleeve'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Do you have an angle grinder and do you feel confident using it?

Stick a flap wheel in it and grind away.

I put our ST60 transducers are held in with Sikaflex, should I ever need to replace the "mushroom" it will come out with the angle grinder.

Pete

Pete, unfortunately the right angle grinder went to Davy Jones locker a while back and hasn't been replaced. I do need to do that. Fortunately everything is in and water tight. Is Sikaflex strong enough? I would fear losing it in bad weather. We chose 5200 based on Raymarine's instructions and peace of mind. I'm kind of over cautious about things under the waterline.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 14:33   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Changing depth/speed transducer 'sleeve'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
Pete, unfortunately the right angle grinder went to Davy Jones locker a while back and hasn't been replaced. I do need to do that. Fortunately everything is in and water tight. Is Sikaflex strong enough? I would fear losing it in bad weather. We chose 5200 based on Raymarine's instructions and peace of mind. I'm kind of over cautious about things under the waterline.
SC
FWIW, SC, the 5200 or Sikaflex or whatever sealant you chose does not hold the throughhull in place, it only seals up the small clearance between hull material and the fitting. The large nut that you tighten up on the inside of the hull is what holds it in!

Thus, the strength of the bond of the sealant is not so important, and the 5200 (IMO) is overkill that will frustrate you in the future should you need to remove the fitting.

But, the job is done now, so enjoy your new instrument and your sailing.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
depth