Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-08-2016, 06:56   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Change GPS receiver or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No, actually, that's the problem. A weatherproof, daylight readable monitor will cost you at least as much as, if not more than, a standalone chartplotter. Not sure why that's so. It doesn't really make sense. But it is what it is.
Even non weatherproof, non touchscreen, just plain daylight readable is very expensive. Sure do wish someone would come out with something reasonable. I also don't understand the problem.

Old 29-08-2016, 07:11   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

New gps units tend to be overall better than the old units. This applies specifically to mass produced commercial stuff (mobile phones, tablets, etc.) a bit less so to marine grade stuff. Still, it does.

In any case, I would expect an improvement if the equipment differs by 10 years or so.

The most accurate gps onboard here is the one that came with the cheapest unit (a Samsung smartphone).

b.

Old 29-08-2016, 08:12   #18

I went for the bundles GPS unit indoors as mfgr states do so (but they also state outdoors):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...EVPckVHOHg5eGc

For the VHF, there was not GPS receivers bundled with it. Manual says to connect green and yellow wires to NMEA 0183 GPS unit:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...mJWNm5uNnl0U2c

I have cut this GPS receiver (I have many! They are at 10 years old or more) as I had to remove the Nav station wall:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...nR6REZoWkhVWUk

I should be able to connect two of the wires of this cable to the VHF, please?

Cheers
Old 30-08-2016, 05:12   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
But the important point, did you catch anything?
Nope, it was a bad day in the yard, errr, on the water..
Old 04-09-2016, 05:32   #20

New GPS antennas are better. The circuitry is in the antenna. Greater sensativity, accuracy and lock time. Mine has sat on the console inside for 2 years and never skipped a beat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-09-2016, 06:26   #21

For the True Heading AIS, I used the-with-AIS-bundled-GPS, mounted it indoors.

I got an iCom IC-M323. NMEA0183 GPS needed. On its green and yellow I shall receive a GPS signal.

I got two old GPS receivers, one is USB and extended etc so I don't trust it entirely and might not work.

The other GPS receiver had this end that I have cut off:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...lFYMDNZLXZKTkU

I think it could work if I figure out what two cables inside the gray cable to connect to the VHF. If it is NMEA0183?

As for new GPS, it makes more sense when connecting to a plotter or AIS, whereas the precision for DSC distress calls is not as important perhaps?

But the reliability is even more important however, I want the MRCC to pick up a position!

Oddly there was no GPS receiver bundled with the iCom. Not sure what to buy if one goes for a new one? Most in the market is USB which is of no use for me.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:56   #22

Why does a new VHF like this not come with a GPS USB input beats me
Old 04-09-2016, 12:11   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob666 View Post
Why does a new VHF like this not come with a GPS USB input beats me
All new vhf have either a serial gps input or else have a built-in gps unit.

What is a gps usb input like? Like a usb port on a car radio?

If so, then a USB input would be way more complicated to wire - think of the many drivers, etc.

b.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:47   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When you go to an Italian restaurant, do you order "Pasta" and "Wine" or perhaps something more specific? Find out just what kind of GPS receivers you have. Anything Generation 1 or 2, is outdated. Gen3 is way more sensitive and accurate. Gen4 is the latest, and most sensitive. Gen3 and Gen4 are likely to have WAAS augmentation, which uses coastal reference stations for more accuracy. And the most recent units are likely to receive GLOSNASS (the Russian system) and the EU system as well, giving them three times more satellites to look for and again, making a reliable fast position fix more likely. If the new GPS offers features that the old ones don't, use it. But if you're going to ask whether "Pasta" is better than "Pasta" ? That's kinda pointless, isn't it? GPS is not all the same.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:10   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
When you go to an Italian restaurant, do you order "Pasta" and "Wine" or perhaps something more specific? Find out just what kind of GPS receivers you have. Anything Generation 1 or 2, is outdated. Gen3 is way more sensitive and accurate. Gen4 is the latest, and most sensitive. Gen3 and Gen4 are likely to have WAAS augmentation, which uses coastal reference stations for more accuracy. And the most recent units are likely to receive GLOSNASS (the Russian system) and the EU system as well, giving them three times more satellites to look for and again, making a reliable fast position fix more likely. If the new GPS offers features that the old ones don't, use it. But if you're going to ask whether "Pasta" is better than "Pasta" ? That's kinda pointless, isn't it? GPS is not all the same.
The Swede doesn't get that analogy, sorry. Pasta what?! (I am a walking cabbage for God's sake!)

Anyway, ease of installation and maintenance. Compare a workstation computer anno 1995 vs today. Today so simple to swap internal parts, no tools needed, colour coded etc.

Not so with some marine electronics. Why mess with those cables, crimping tools etc. I want to plug a USB device into the VHF and it should work! In fact all GPS receivers should work and be backwards compatible. And cost half as much.

Basta!
Old 05-09-2016, 17:54   #26

if you didn't want to play with wires or hire someone then you should have bought a standard horizon VHF with built in GPS. no marine product uses USB. it is either nmea 183 or nmea 2000.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:21   #27

Thanks. Can I interpret that as being able to move my whatever GPS I buy indoors?

Of course I can handle it, I am currently refitting the boat including the electrical system, but too much to do so want to keep the amount of work at minimum.

Cheers
Old 06-09-2016, 07:26   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

(...)

And the most recent units are likely to receive GLOSNASS (the Russian system) and the EU system as well, giving them three times more satellites to look for and again, making a reliable fast position fix more likely.

(...)
GLONASS

And not the EU system but rather the Chinese one (BeiDou, BEIDOU).

GLONASS and BEIDOU available in some recent smartphones (e.g. Samsung).

The EU system not operational yet and not on the horizon. They are in the process in renaming it too. It will be most likely called BREXITOU.

b.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:29   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob666 View Post

(...)

I want to plug a USB device into the VHF and it should work! In fact all GPS receivers should work and be backwards compatible. And cost half as much.

Basta!
Well try plugging a 12V device into a 220V socket AND IT SHOULD WORK!

Many gps devices have usb out. I have not seen any VHF radios with usb in though. Maybe tomorrow.

Cheers,
b.

Tags
gps

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: