Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2010, 00:04   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Chandler's Fault I Paid Too Much . . . or Mine ?

I just recently bought a Garmin 441s and to get it up and running I needed a BlueChart 2g card. My old SH chatplotter pooped out at Friday Harbor durning the foggy season so I needed something to get me around/home in nasty weather.

So I bought the 441s and the local card and paid $300 for the card. Just for GP I was checking out cards for the S. Pac. and they were only $160. I went to the US and the same @ $160. Garmin | Region Coverage

Man did I get ripped!
Old 25-09-2010, 01:20   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
They price match. give em a copy of the cheaper price and your recept, they will credit you cc. hope that works out.
Erika
Old 25-09-2010, 01:31   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

Man did I get ripped!
Someone needs to be ripped off every so often so we can all be aware.
Thanks for being the sucker this time!

LOL

Jus' joshin'

Go with Erica's idea. at least you get to confront the store manager

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 02:03   #4

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Remember the good old song 'The Snake' by Al Wilson?

You knew they was snakes when you ordered from them. Dont do it again.
Old 25-09-2010, 04:07   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
I thought the 441s came with charts preloaded?
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 04:20   #6

Boat: prairie32 cutter
the 441s does come preloaded with some charts. wash to cal. however you can by all the chips for the world directly from garmin. most are 160,00. the service is great and the turnaround time is super
TOPGALLANT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 04:23   #7

Boat: prairie32 cutter
PS you do not need the 2g type card unless you want the additional service it provides,ie overlay
TOPGALLANT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 05:19   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Just return the chip: it doesn't give you any more charts for your area, it gives you more aerial photographs, something called a fish eye view, and the ability to get safe routing something like what a car GPS does*.

Don't confuse the features of the G2 Vision cards with the G2 cartography cards. The latter are strictly charts (with a few aerials) and the 441s comes with the entire US preloaded. That includes East Coast, West Coast, Gulf of Mexico, Alaska and Hawaii. Total THAT up at $160 per and tell us you are a victim of the evil W

*but not as good.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 05:45   #9

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Are you a customer from Hell?

I mean -- REALLY!

Mistakes happen. I think you were too quick to post something intended to damage their reputation. You should give them a chance to remedy the situation first by going to any WM store (of the hundreds) with your receipt, and ask to speak with the manager. Then, if they don't satisfy you -- you have a right to complain.

WM is a really big outfit and while they're not the cheapest (unless you ask them to price match) they're not out to screw you on a personal level. They employ a "convenience store" pricing model and will only be competitive if they're doing a price-match or trying to blow out some particular inventory.

You made a convenient purchase without doing your homework, and it's possible the item was mis-marked. The 441s does come with the detail charts. It's also possible you bought one of the super-large chart regions that list for over $400, and you're comparing apples to oranges. You should return the chip.

Do the right thing, and then post your results.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 06:25   #10

I just did a quick online search and found that $300 is the right price for G2 versions Bluechart G2 Vision - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review .

You just don't need it, since the 441s already has detailed Blue Charts for the US (just not the added detail in G2). Return it and admit you just didn't do your homework and that you burned WM, not the other way around.
Old 25-09-2010, 06:31   #11

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Some good anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I just recently bought a Garmin 441s and to get it up and running I needed a BlueChart 2g card. My old SH chatplotter pooped out at Friday Harbor durning the foggy season so I needed something to get me around/home in nasty weather.

So I bought the 441s and the local card and paid $300 for the card. Just for GP I was checking out cards for the S. Pac. and they were only $160. I went to the US and the same @ $160. Garmin | Region Coverage

Man did I get ripped!
lad to see

My brother got stuck for an outboard motor the same way in the same place. I am glad to hear that you were out and running the boat as you said you would, foggy or no. You can get the price lowered or return that chip. I need a new plotter as well but i think I am going to use a notebook and Nav program. A little too much tomfoolery involved with these chart plotters.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 06:53   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
but i think I am going to use a notebook and Nav program. A little too much tomfoolery involved with these chart plotters.
Todd
Hmm, you think a computer built for use at home and some third party software better than a waterproof GPS chartplotter?

Good luck, me? I'll carry on using my Garmin mounted at the wheel.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 07:12   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post

I need a new plotter as well but i think I am going to use a notebook and Nav program. A little too much tomfoolery involved with these chart plotters.

Todd
Once you get used to the 'tomfoolery", you will never go back to a notebook or any of the "old" ways. It is amazing how fast you get used to a chartplotter. I was a skeptic until I used one. It makes life a lot easier, as long as you always remember that they are not 100% reliable. You still have to think a little and keep your eyes open.
Old 25-09-2010, 07:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Once you get used to the 'tomfoolery", you will never go back to a notebook or any of the "old" ways. It is amazing how fast you get used to a chartplotter. I was a skeptic until I used one. It makes life a lot easier, as long as you always remember that they are not 100% reliable. You still have to think a little and keep your eyes open.
If you've ever used a good navigation program such as Coastal Explorer or Visual Navigation Suite, you will want both the C-P at the helm AND the laptop charting software. Laptop charting software offers a superior user interface and has planning features and screen detail you can't get even in the most expensive C-Ps -- and it can be connected to a secondary GPS or pick up NMEA GPS data including that from an AIS transceiver/receiver (which outputs GPS data in the NMEA stream).

The C-P at the helm is ideal for the weatherproof and helming convenience, but the laptop charting software is ideal for planning and getting more in-depth information without a "lot of fuss". Most people now cruise with a laptop aboard for email and Internet, so since it's there already it's no big deal to buy more software and connect an extra $50 USB or blue-tooth GPS -- or interface it to the boat's NMEA data.

Also, if you have cellular or WiFi Internet, you can't beat a laptop for its ability to get detailed real-time Doppler radar and planning weather information for free. You'd have to pay a hefty subscription fee for a Serius/XM weather package and buy dedicated expensive satellite receiver hardware to come even close, using a C-P. (Of course, the XM/Serius package has only one key advantage -- it can be received further offshore).
Old 25-09-2010, 08:32   #15

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I mean -- REALLY!

Mistakes happen. I think you were too quick to post something intended to damage their reputation. You should give them a chance to remedy the situation first by going to any WM store (of the hundreds) with your receipt, and ask to speak with the manager. Then, if they don't satisfy you -- you have a right to complain.

Then why would he sell me a chip knowing that the unit already has the maps installed? A don't ask, don't tell situation???

WM is a really big outfit and while they're not the cheapest (unless you ask them to price match) they're not out to screw you on a personal level. They employ a "convenience store" pricing model and will only be competitive if they're doing a price-match or trying to blow out some particular inventory.

Price match? I'm sure they go on line too, to check stuff out.

You made a convenient purchase without doing your homework, and it's possible the item was mis-marked. The 441s does come with the detail charts. It's also possible you bought one of the super-large chart regions that list for over $400, and you're comparing apples to oranges. You should return the chip.

I only got the CA015R, which are portions of Canada and some of the Seattle area. As it was I spent over an hour in the store looking at different unites and it wasn't a convenient purchase. My old one failed to acquire anymore and I was single handing in unfamiliar waters in fog or misty rain. It was a purchase of safety!

Do the right thing, and then post your results.

I will! I'll take it back and ask why the salesman sold me a chip knowing the plotter already had charts installed. If not knowing then we were both ignorant and they need to have salesmen that know their products.
If it were not for the net, which I didn't have available at the time, can one imagine how many products would get sold to customers with all the bells an whistles they would never use. Research is a consumers best friend but when flooded with overwhelming info in such a short time..................