Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2010, 07:30   #31

Boat: Privilege 39
Unfortunately electronic charts happen to be one of the things West Marine says you cannot return - Returns Exchanges. Still, since the salesperson sold you something you don't need, I think you do have good grounds to return it anyway.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 08:06   #32

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I Don't want to return it really. I still need charts for around the Vancouver Is. It's the $300 price tag that gets me.

This is what I'm talking about. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...rice-Guarantee
Old 26-09-2010, 08:38   #33

I go to WM on Sundays if I have no other choice because everything else is closed. It's extremely rare for me to need anything from them. High school kids and absurd prices.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 08:40   #34

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
If you've ever used a good navigation program such as Coastal Explorer or Visual Navigation Suite, you will want both the C-P at the helm AND the laptop charting software. Laptop charting software offers a superior user interface and has planning features and screen detail you can't get even in the most expensive C-Ps -- and it can be connected to a secondary GPS or pick up NMEA GPS data including that from an AIS transceiver/receiver (which outputs GPS data in the NMEA stream).

The C-P at the helm is ideal for the weatherproof and helming convenience, but the laptop charting software is ideal for planning and getting more in-depth information without a "lot of fuss". Most people now cruise with a laptop aboard for email and Internet, so since it's there already it's no big deal to buy more software and connect an extra $50 USB or blue-tooth GPS -- or interface it to the boat's NMEA data.

Also, if you have cellular or WiFi Internet, you can't beat a laptop for its ability to get detailed real-time Doppler radar and planning weather information for free. You'd have to pay a hefty subscription fee for a Serius/XM weather package and buy dedicated expensive satellite receiver hardware to come even close, using a C-P. (Of course, the XM/Serius package has only one key advantage -- it can be received further offshore).
I use them all but I love my laptop { water proof see in sunlight}
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 17:00   #35

Well, WM did me right....

They exchanged the Vision card for the standard g2 and it was less then what Garmin charges. Why the salesman in Friday Harbour sold me the Vision vs Standard, considering I bought the cheap Garmin w/little features/compatibilities, is a guess.

So, rather then getting a refund I ordered the Philippine region.

Two bells and all's well!
Old 27-09-2010, 17:39   #36

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Good on WM!

Why you ask?....Because he didn't know any better...Not his fault for not getting trained proper...That's management's fault.

When I had employees...how could I get mad at them and whos fault was it if things got screwed up..if I sent them out on a job they never did before with out instruction...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 18:31   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I mean -- REALLY!

Mistakes happen. I think you were too quick to post something intended to damage their reputation. You should give them a chance to remedy the situation first by going to any WM store (of the hundreds) with your receipt, and ask to speak with the manager. Then, if they don't satisfy you -- you have a right to complain.
I don't know what Del's intentions were, I'm not sure you do either but if posting a factual account does damage to a stores reputation I would say the fault lies squarely with the store, not the customer. I would hope Del would also post and let us know if the store rectified the situation but it doesn't change the fact that they appear to have grossly overcharged for the item in the first place.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 19:30   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I don't know what Del's intentions were,........

I would hope Del would also post and let us know if the store rectified the situation but it doesn't change the fact that they appear to have grossly overcharged for the item in the first place.
My intentions were to rant due to my ignorance wondering why it cost so much for a tiny li'l chip. Is that self pity?

The problem was they sold me a "Vision" chip when I only needed a "standard" chip and it was 'sticker shock' when I got home on the net and found out I got sold all these bells and whistles that I'd never use.

Maybe the salesman was ignorant or just too busy to think but obviously I didn't have the resources to do the research either before buying, along with a little shopping fatigue.

And I'm satisfied now and they resolved the problem w/o much resistance.
Old 27-09-2010, 19:31   #39

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I don't know what Del's intentions were, I'm not sure you do either but if posting a factual account does damage to a stores reputation I would say the fault lies squarely with the store, not the customer. I would hope Del would also post and let us know if the store rectified the situation but it doesn't change the fact that they appear to have grossly overcharged for the item in the first place.
WM is a convenience store, and in fact that's why they got this sale. (I've seen them price $11 for blue masking tape you can get at a home center for $3 or $4.)

If you want the best deal shop elsewhere or bring the Defender catalog or ad to WM and they'll price match, but don't expect the best deal anywhere without doing your homework. "Guaranteed low prices" doesn't really mean that: The bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away. Everyone knows that.

Besides, in this case Del did post that WM did him right in the end, and I still think he was in fact premature in his rage. I'm no fan of WM but they do have a good return policy.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 19:56   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Sorry, I should have read farther down the list before posting.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 19:59   #41

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Hey you changed the thread title...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 20:04   #42
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I changed the thread title . . . it was an unfair accusation from the very beginning, and, as it turned out, not factual. It's too late to do anything about the period since this thread was posted until the title was changed, but hopefully the new title will remove some of the sting from the original accusation.

TaoJones
Old 27-09-2010, 20:25   #43
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
It pays do do your homework before you plunk down boat bucks.

My best friend went to "Chandler" after he bought his boat.

Without me, he was sold a radio with all the bells and whistles....which he won't use, way too many lines, four complete fishing rods which aren't suitable for the type of fishing he wants to do, and a bunch of other odds and ends........I convinced him to take it ALL back....sometimes these Chandleries can see ya coming.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 21:01   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
It sure seems that it is popular to not like a certain "chandler" and I'm sure that like any company one can find a bad egg occasionally. However, my overall experience has been very positive and "chandler" has been quite generous about warranties and exchanges, even cases like when I decided to swap out a new GPS for a different model. No problem, full credit.

The key as several have pointed out is that they are a convenience store. I do order most of my gear from Defender but WM gets a good piece of my business. They are almost everywhere (except where I live). When I was stuck in Charleston last year and needed a metric framus and two stainless steel widgets to get back on the road "chandler" was there and had the parts the same day. The salesman even delivered the parts to the marina on the way home from work (and earned a cold one on me at the dockside pub).

Still, doesn't hurt to do your homework first, but that applies to almost anywhere you buy.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 21:07   #45

What would be nice is if "Chandlers" would attach a spec sheet to each product on or off display so one would know what he's getting. Having to ask a salesman what a products capabilities are and what accessories it requires is putting faith in the salesman/woman. Finding out later what you really got can, and is, frustrating.

And as men go, they really don't like to ask for directions especially if he's the macho type. And that will cause a lost most of the time. And that's why I bought the new GPS in the first place.