Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-09-2010, 11:37   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
And to add to my rebuttal,

there was nothing on the display model that stated it had maps already loaded. Basically just the model # and price. When I decided on the purchase I said to the salesman "I suppose I need the local card?. He said nothing but just went back and got the GPS & the card and took them to the counter. In the mean time there were customers lined up. He had to get me out of the way.

Most of the reading I did on the paper work was doing the install, which took around 4 hours, mounting, running the wires and making sure it got hooked up right with the VHF-DSC.

It wasn't until I was out on the water did I notice it came installed with maps. I already had the card installed so I continued to use it.

To me the card is more like a video game rather then a navigation device. It's not even compatible with my depth finder or Autohelm.

Like I said, I spent an hour in the store with my impatient pup and the only salesman spent only enough time with me to answer direct questions.

I hope this gives ya'll a better idea of the situation. It's not that I dislike WM, I do lots of business with them. I just feel I was over charged!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 11:51   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You weren't overcharged, but you were sold something you didn't need. The salesperson should have told you what your options were, rather than just handing you something.

It seems that you were prepared to pay for the card had that truly been the only option. It was only later that you discovered that there were more appropriate solutions.

Fortunately, West Marine seems to have a reasonable return policy.

(Yes, I'm being "Obvious Man" today!)

Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 12:12   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
worst marine doesnt need to burn anyone else to maintain their good record.

the blessing is--there is always an alternative.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 13:29   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Wow, I should have found my glasses before I started reading the thread titles.

I thought it said "West Marine Burned to the Ground".
Old 25-09-2010, 14:39   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I had one of the non chart Garmin sounders (3006). Bought the West Coast from N. California to Canada chip for $160 from West Marine.

The question in your case is did you buy the chip without doing your homework or did an employee do a snow job sales pitch on you. Don't think West Marine works on a commission basis so doubt it's the latter. If the salesman did convince you to buy the chip, then it was probably because he didn't know what he was selling or he was in love with all the bells and whistles of the Vision Chip. In any case, you would probably have success in getting them to take the chip back. One caution, most stores won't accept return of electronics like chart chips because they are so easily damaged by stray electrical or magnetic currents.
Old 25-09-2010, 17:23   #21

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
No one should have to do their home work at a retail store...that's what sales men get paid for...Home work is for buyer beware online or telephone or privet sales.

Any store front should have knowledgeable staff for the products they carry and enough staff to handle the sale period...if not they deserve what comments they get.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 18:21   #22

G2 Charts

Check out Binnacle.com. My Caribbean G2 charts were less than $160 there, purchased 3 weeks ago.
Old 25-09-2010, 18:59   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty
Just return the chip: it doesn't give you any more charts for your area, it gives you more aerial photographs, something called a fish eye view, and the ability to get safe routing something like what a car GPS does*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I just did a quick online search and found that $300 is the right price for G2 versions Bluechart G2 Vision - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review .

You just don't need it, since the 441s already has detailed Blue Charts for the US (just not the added detail in G2). Return it and admit you just didn't do your homework and that you burned WM, not the other way around.
Actually, I do need it for when I'm up in Canada. Something I've slightly over looked here with all the discussion. But the g2 it's still $160.70. See the picture below from the Garmin site. I spend so much time in Canada doing business and with relatives I for get it's not the USA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA015R.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	19577  

Old 25-09-2010, 21:11   #24
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
No one should have to do their home work at a retail store...that's what sales men get paid for...Home work is for buyer beware online or telephone or privet sales.

Any store front should have knowledgeable staff for the products they carry and enough staff to handle the sale period...if not they deserve what comments they get.
I disagree with you, I think we all should always do our homework and if you do not then you have no one to blame but yourself! Sales men are there to SELL and many dont care what they sell you as long as they make the sale
Old 25-09-2010, 21:38   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah! Let's zero in on the ignorant. Anyone want to buy a bridge?

Old 25-09-2010, 21:43   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Whoa, your card covers Canada???? Canadian chartd are not included in the built in maps on my Garmin 3206. To get Canadian coverage you have to buy a chip. I've bought CA501L Vancouver to Dixon Inlet because I'm going to Canada and possibly all the way up to Alaska, one of these days. This card also covers Puget Sound US waters which is redundant to the US charts. If you bought this card, retail is over $400. All smaller area Canadian chart cards retail for more than $300. If you've got Canadian charts on the card you bought, it was to cover Canada that isn't included in the built in charts.

FWIW, the SoCal Chart chip also covers Baja California. The built in charts stop at the Border. If you want to go to Baja, you have to buy the chip that covers California from San Francisco and Mexico down past Acapulco.
Old 25-09-2010, 22:20   #27

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Talking No No please, LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Wow, I should have found my glasses before I started reading the thread titles.

I thought it said "West Marine Burned to the Ground".
I buy all kinds of things from them. Most of them are never used and they go into a large box that my wife regards with fear and loathing... WM certainly have helped many times on short notice stuff. Del will easily get this straightend out.

My Dad uses an old laptop and Nav program and it even interfaces with his Furuno radar. Admittedly it's installed on a condominim (I mean trawler). I will need to make a plan to be able to use one on Idora. Still figuring it out.

Todd
Old 25-09-2010, 22:50   #28

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Quote:
we all should always do our homework and if you do not then you have no one to blame but yourself! Sales men are there to SELL and many dont care what they sell you as long as they make the sale
I once went into WM looking for an emergency VHF antenna - had to have one for a race. The first sales person I talked to said to try WalMart 'cuz they sold electronics; the second sales person didn't know anything about them; the third sales person didn't know about them but at least looked them up on their computer and found which drawer they were kept in.
Caveat emptor...

Michael
Old 26-09-2010, 01:46   #29

Boat: Pearson 281
Worstmarine is a handy place to shop because there is one around every corner and with understaffing (as in so many places now here stateside), merchandising busywork, and rigourous sales goals it is not always a good place to shop without knowing just what you want. This does not free staff from the responsibility for selling with a bit of care and integrity as the best sales clerks there will do. WM's saving grace is their flexibility in price matching and in taking things back.

I prefer smaller more relaxed shops often staffed by ex yard workers and knowledgable sailors (some claiming to have fled the WM corporate atmosphere) and am glad that we have a few such places left here in SoCal.

I've become a lazy sort of gear-head these days and just so I don't look like a complete chowder head I usually show up with some basic understanding of a given bit of gear and then get help on the details.
It is also satisfying to support the mom and pop places.
Old 26-09-2010, 02:00   #30

Yeah, WM is an big, often inept, monster. But they do very much value everything working out right for the customer. I'm sure they will make everything right if you just ask.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: