Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-04-2016, 13:46   #16

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Cellular Data in Canada

Thanks to all, I'm in the market for the same thing (also doing the Down East Loop.)

I thought I'd try AT&T Go Phone. $60/mo for unlimited US, Mexico and Canada.

Until I read the fine print. at least 50% of the calls and data must be in the US each month, or they shut you down. Two people at the AT&T-owned store confirmed this. They recommended getting a burner phone from Rogers or one of the others when we get there.

Someone (maybe in an ActiveCaptain newsletter?) pointed me to mrsimcard.com. They send you the SIM card and activate the service just before you arrive. You can pre-pay for 15 through 90 days. I'm looking at the AT&T plan because that's what my phone takes and the coverage in the Maritimes looks good.

Old 26-04-2016, 16:07   #17

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Huh, I wonder if Canadians can sign up for that! You can say a lot of nice things about Canada but not a single one of them will be about our telecom companies.

Anyway, if you go for a Canadian sim be sure to look at the coverage maps and the new extended coverages. Rogers signed a deal with Telus last year and now they share towers in some areas...
Rogers coverage in Atlantic Canada is spotty on coasts-they put their $$ into major highways & major cities. They are what used to be called an "A" system.
Bell Mobility has ,by far, the most "towers" & give the best coverage of Atlantic Canada coasts & overall (most towers). They used to be known as the "B" system.
Both Rogers & Bell know how to charge$$-no real diff. in final cost.
Both provide the basic celphone/data service where their "towers" are located.Both provide the "bells & whistles" comparable service in major centers.
Both have "leach" providers in Can.,such as Telus,Koodo,etc,etc, who are very competitive in their markets.
Both A & B systems will work with your US system-either A or B (& maybe both?? in hi pop areas) IF you are in range of their (A or B ) tower

Research your home US provider.Ask for their Coverage Map of Canada.

Ask for your provider's "Canada rates" for services that you will need-voice-data,etc.

ASK!!! which Canadian System they are "allied" with-Rogers or Bell Mobility.

If you are not satisfied with your US provider's Can. rates,check with Can. provider's short term rates & THEIR COVERAGE MAP. Some sales people haven't a clue about COVERAGE!

Canada's cellphone system is 100% compatible with USA system-you just have to do some basic research for the areas you plan to visit,if you wish to keep your costs reasonable-just like Canadians have to do when traveling in US.

Old 26-04-2016, 16:16   #18

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
We are planning on doing the down east loop this summer and have some questions about cellular data service in Canada. When in the US we are using a Verizon Jetpack 6620L MiFi device to create an onboard hotspot.

Will the Verizon SIM card still work in Canada? If so, will the roaming data costs be extortionate? Does it make sense to get a Canadian SIM card for a month or two? If so, which company?

Thanks in advance.
Check the FILES in this "Cruising the Canadian Atlantic... https://www.facebook.com/groups/268778300122540/

Lots of info in FILES on various subjects.

Hope you enjoy your visit,but be prepared to "rough it" a bit
Cheers/ Len
Old 26-04-2016, 22:28   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Rogers coverage in Atlantic Canada is spotty on coasts-they put their $$ into major highways & major cities. They are what used to be called an "A" system.
Bell Mobility has ,by far, the most "towers" & give the best coverage of Atlantic Canada coasts & overall (most towers). They used to be known as the "B" system.
Both Rogers & Bell know how to charge$$-no real diff. in final cost.
Both provide the basic celphone/data service where their "towers" are located.Both provide the "bells & whistles" comparable service in major centers.
Both have "leach" providers in Can.,such as Telus,Koodo,etc,etc, who are very competitive in their markets.
Both A & B systems will work with your US system-either A or B (& maybe both?? in hi pop areas) IF you are in range of their (A or B ) tower

Research your home US provider.Ask for their Coverage Map of Canada.

Ask for your provider's "Canada rates" for services that you will need-voice-data,etc.

ASK!!! which Canadian System they are "allied" with-Rogers or Bell Mobility.

If you are not satisfied with your US provider's Can. rates,check with Can. provider's short term rates & THEIR COVERAGE MAP. Some sales people haven't a clue about COVERAGE!

Canada's cellphone system is 100% compatible with USA system-you just have to do some basic research for the areas you plan to visit,if you wish to keep your costs reasonable-just like Canadians have to do when traveling in US.
T-Mobile works on all three carriers, Telus, Bell and Rogers. I thought it was just Rogers as that is their preferred partner, but if you set your phone to best available, it will search for the best signal and move between carriers as needed. I noticed I used all three at various times, and sometimes it depended on the time of day it seemed in the same location.
Old 27-04-2016, 04:58   #20

Boat: Viking 28
Lightbulb Re: Cellular Data in Canada

If you have an iPhone or iPad , go to Rogers for a SIM card , I use one in my iPad for about 15.00 a month ,can use text me for phone , or Skyp and GPS on the iPad as well.
Old 27-04-2016, 11:37   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Currently in the Atlantic along USA coast, heading to the Bahamas for winter 2017-2018
Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

From Verizon in response to my inquiry:

International Services While Traveling Outside the U.S.

IntlServices@VerizonWireless.com
Reply|
2/20/2016
You
Inbox
Newsletters
You forwarded this message on 3/31/2016 10:14 AM

Evernote
Verizon
International Services.
Shop Support My Verizon
Thanks for contacting us about your trip to Canada.

Below you'll find pricing options and dialing information.
This email is not a confirmation that a plan has been added or is available to add.
TravelPass use your domestic plan allowances for a daily fee
Add TravelPass at any time. You won’t be billed until you enter a TravelPass country and either make/receive a call, send a text or use data. For the daily fee, you’ll have 24 hour access to your domestic plan allowances.
If you don’t use service, you will not be charged. No need to remove the TravelPass feature.
Mexico and Canada plans/features are not compatible with TravelPass.
Calls to numbers within the TravelPass country you’re currently in or calls to US numbers are covered by your domestic plan.
However, if you make Country-to-Country calls, you’ll be charged International Long Distance rates.
Rate/day Available Countries Allowance
$2 Canada Uses Domestic Talk, Message, and Data
Mexico & Canada Only talk, text & data or data only allowance for a monthly fee
In Canada, Talk, Text, and Data bundles cover voice and data usage only. Messaging in CA uses domestic allowance.
We recommend backdating the feature to the first day of the bill cycle and retaining it until the last day of the bill cycle following your return. This prevents allowance prorations and possible overages.
Minutes on Preferred Pricing include airtime, roaming, long distance, surcharges and taxes.
Rate/mo Allowance Overage
$15 Talk: 100 min, Text: 100 sent msg / unlimited incoming, Data: 100 MB $.10/min, $.10/msg, $10/100MB
$25 Talk: 500 min, Text: 500 sent msg / unlimited incoming, Data: 1GB $.05/min, $.05/msg, $20/1GB
$10 Data: 100 MB, Talk: Pay As You Go, Text: Pay As You Go $10/100MB
$20 Data: 250 MB, Talk: Pay As You Go, Text: Pay As You Go $10/100MB
Pay As You Go Rates
If no International plan (TravelPass or Preferred Pricing) is added, usage will be billed at Pay As You Go rates.
Calls to numbers within the destination country and calls to US numbers are allowed without any International feature. Pay As You Go rates apply.
Talk Rates Per Min Text Sent / Received Multimedia Msg Data Rates
To/From US, CA, MX, PR mobile numbers To/From mobile numbers of other countries Pay As You Go (No Allowance)
Canada $0.99 Domestic / Domestic Per Your Domestic Plan $0.50 / $0.25 $2.05/MB ($0.002/KB)
Voice and Messaging
Important: Multimedia (Picture and Video) Messaging incurs international data usage based on the size of the attachment.
You’re charged per message/per address. (If one message is sent to 3 people, you’re charged for 3 messages.)
International Talk rates apply when checking Voice Mail. For Visual Voice Mail, only international data usage applies.
Text allowances (like the Talk, Text & Data bundle) include multimedia messages too.
Data
Data usage can add up quickly. We recommend an International Travel data allowance. Add the plan for the entire bill cycle(s) of travel so that you get the full monthly data allowance to use during your trip.
Review our International Travel Data Tips for helpful info and the Data Calculator to estimate usage.
Once you're traveling, our data alerts will help you manage your usage or check it on My Verizon.
World Device
Before leaving the U.S., be sure to power your device off/on to refresh the network settings.
For most voice devices, the default setting for Data Roaming is OFF. To use data, you must enable this feature by either:
Selecting 'Enable Data' via a pop-up message on your device when powering up outside the U.S. OR
Making the change in device settings. Consult your User Guide on our Support page.
Trouble with your device? If you can't place a call from your device, reach International Support using the Customer Service from a landline instruction below. You may incur toll charges.
When traveling outside the U.S.:
We can’t guarantee coverage or network quality, which are dependent on the roaming carrier’s network
Some features may not be available, such as Voice Mail notification, Usage Controls and Advanced Calling.
Dialing Instructions
Country Code From To Dial Network Instruction
1 Canada Customer Service from a landline None Dial 844-556-1353
1 Canada U.S. GSM Dial Plus (+) Sign then 1 then ten digit U.S. number
1 Canada Local GSM Dial Plus (+) Sign then Country Code then Local number with Area Code (if applicable)
1 Canada Other Countries GSM Dial Plus (+) Sign then Country Code then International Number
1 Canada Customer Service GSM Dial Plus (+) Sign then 1 then 908-559-4899
On most devices, the Plus Sign (+) appears when you press and hold the 0 key or the * key. Find your user guide online if needed.
Your device may have an International Dial key that automatically inserts the exit code for outbound calls.
To check your Voice Mail, use the “U.S.” instructions above and call your mobile number. Press # to interrupt the greeting and enter your password when prompted. If you’re unable to retrieve, turn off the world device and call your mobile number from another phone.
Manage Your International Services
From Your Computer:
Use the Trip Planner to see rates, plan options, and coverage maps.
Check your international usage and add or remove International Plans at any time in My Verizon.
From Your Device (incurs data usage):
Use My Verizon Mobile to
See if your device is set to travel with International Ready Check.
Monitor usage and update your International Plan
Receive data usage alerts directly to your device via text/email
Need assistance while traveling internationally? Call our support line 24/7. 1.908.559.4899
Facebook Twitter You Tube Instagram Pinterest Google+
© 2015 Verizon Wireless
We respect your privacy. Please review our privacy policy for more information about click activity with Verizon Wireless and links included in this email. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS AUTOMATED EMAIL. Replies will not be read or forwarded for handling.
Verizon Wireless, One Verizon Way, Mail Code: 180WVB, Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
Old 27-04-2016, 11:50   #22

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Bell Mobility has ,by far, the most "towers" & give the best coverage of Atlantic Canada coasts & overall (most towers).
Thanks for the input! I checked Bell Mobility pre-paid plans. Not cheap, but it looks like they may offer the best option for my needs.

I also questioned MrSimCard about the AT&T rule that 50% of the usage must be in the US every month. They confirmed that it's a requirement, but didn't seem to think AT&T would do anything about it if you violated that rule. That's contrary to what two AT&T employees told me to my face, so I'm taking their word for it.

Anybody else know of any "gotcha's" with Bell Mobility?
Old 27-04-2016, 13:15   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

IIRC, T-mobile's current option for free Canada & Mexico use requires 50% of your use to be in the US--but didn't specify 50% each month. Rather, if you were in the US using it for six months, and then stepped out for five...you'd still be in the clear.
So it could be worth checking in with T-Mob, and possibly starting to use their service sooner, in order to build that "50%" time here.

What the employees tell you, at any of the celcos, is often quite creative. You need to call the "executive offices" (the FCC can give you a contact number of the carrier can't) and, sadly, record the call to hold them to it. Of course you may need a landline or rooted phone to do that--the US carriers have almost totally blocked the call-recording features on almost all cell phones sold in the US market. "The same" phones marketed in Korea, the EU, Japan, Syria, all sorts of other places, don't have that feature mysteriously disabled and locked out.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:28   #24

Went to the T mobile store, and it seems like a great solution, and my att supplied phone uses the same signal types, so I can just buy the SIM card and switch carriers. Thanks everyone!

Have to unlock my att phone first which can be done on line or via phone and can take up to 72 hours.

100 bucks a month for 2 smart phones sharing 6gb. 120 bucks for 10gb of data.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:55   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Season-
Do also doublecheck, do a web search don't just take the word of the guys in the stores, that your phone actually uses the same voice AND data bands that T-Mob will use. IIRC, in the continental US they both use the same 4G-LTE bands. But they may use different 4G bands (which are not the same as 4G-LTE) and they share the 2G data bands, but not 3G. If you go to Puerto Rico, Canada, anyplace outside the continental US? Even if the carriers are the same, the bands they use sometimes differ. And the staff in the stores, and often "first line" staff on the phones, usually aren't clear on the details.

Just FWIW, you know. "Cut once measure twice."
(Oh, wait, maybe that's backwards?(G)

Tags
Canada

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: