Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 16:58   #16

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Cannot read Raymarine ST70 wind transducer pod data from B&G MFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty007 View Post
The backwards compatibility in SeaTalkNg is for SeaTalk1.
Only if you have a Seatalk to SeatalkNg converter. I am using one of those to convert my Seatalk data coming from ST60 instruments to SeatalkNg, and thereby get Seatalk data onto the N2K. My B&G Zeus2 GPS data is on the same N2K network, and the converter allows the Raymarine S1 autopilot to see the data coming from Zeus2. The converter makes it backwards compatable, IMHO. Not using NMEA0183 wires.

I looked up the ST70, and it says it is SeatalkNg. So it should hook directly into the N2K network using a spur cable. SeatalkNg and NMEA2000 (N2K) are the same thing. OMG, just ignore NMEA0183, sixth pin, or whatever. This is not difficult, but it has to be done exactly correct. Just need to get the right cable and pay attention to backbone and spur connections to instruments. If I were you, I would concentrate on getting all data onto the N2K network, and avoid any extra NMEA0183 hookups. Very clean installation. All one language (i.e., N2K). All equipment on the network (N2K) can see data from other instruments. Don't confuse your daisy-chained, Seatalk cable-connected instruments as sharing N2K network data, because they are not. But one end of that daisy chain needs to be hooked up to N2K network, so that Zeus MFD can see that data.

Am I missing something here?
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 23:38   #17

Boat: Beneteau Sense 43

Thanks for the additional information and background. It was helpful to hear that it basically should work.

What I will try next is to disconnect the existing Spur connection between ST70 pod and the "old" physical end of the NMEA2k bus (the Seatalk NG side) and connect it to the new part where the new components sit. Logically and electrically this is identical, but maybe there are subtle problems with the bus itself which may disappear when relocating the device to a different position on the bus.
Will take some time, though, next visit to my boat is after Christmas...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mbartosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:49   #18

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I am having difficulty understanding your terminology. The N2K network is typically made up of a backbone of cables connecting T's, and spur cables to the instruments coming off of the T's. The backbone cables come into the T on the left side, and exit the right side, and connect to the next T. At the beginning and end of the backbone you need termination plugs.

Each of the N2K instruments are connected to the bottom of the T, using a spur cable for each. Your B&G MFD should have a spur cable coming from it to a T on the backbone. The wind should have a spur cable coming from it to a T on the backbone. Etc, Etc. If you try to hook up the wind to the backbone end of the T it will not work, and will not get data onto the N2K network. Is that what is happening?

I know it doesn't seem to make sense if you are thinking of the T's as being something like electrical connection - whereby any voltage coming into any end of the T is shared by other instruments connected to the other ends of the T. The equipment has to be hooked up on the spurs only. (The only exception is that if you are using the Raymarine Seatalk to SeatalkNg converter, the converter is actually the same thing as a T, and needs to be hooked to it using a backbone cable.)
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:15   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I am having difficulty understanding your terminology. The N2K network is typically made up of a backbone of cables connecting T's, and spur cables to the instruments coming off of the T's. The backbone cables come into the T on the left side, and exit the right side, and connect to the next T. At the beginning and end of the backbone you need termination plugs.
Apologies if my terminology confuses you, but I am totally aware of the technology down to the hardware level (being an EE I have dealt with field bus systems including CAN Bus systems on electrical and programming level, so I tend to use the terminology I am used to - sorry for this).

However, I am not so good with the Raymarine-Speak.

To answer your question: yes, I am sure that electrically the ST70 device is properly connected. It does work with the old ST70 instruments, as I wrote in the first post of the thread. But I now assume I have a problem with the bus (sic) itself on an electrical level, maybe the connection between the two parts is not OK (I did not do this myself but had it done by an electrician), or I have a problem with bus power or termination. Need to triple-check (did this already, though).

That's why I think moving the point where the wind transducer pod connects to the N2K network - from the old Seatalk NG to the new N2K section might be worth a try.
Old 23-06-2016, 14:41   #20

Reviving my old thread to provide a solution in case someone has the same problem.

It turned out that the old Raymarine wind transducer devices are not compatible with the B&G NMEA2k.

I decided to replace the old transducer with a Raymarine iTC 5 device. This is a more modern design and was supposed to work with non Raymarine equipment.
Today I installed the iTC 5, and presto, plug and play at it's best. Raymarine displays immediately discovered the iTC 5 wind vane (which was no surprise), but more importantly the B&G also presents the iTC 5 as a source for wind speed and angle. Problem solved.

(There was also a second, much cheaper but seriously more complicated and development heavy solution I pondered, but the iTC 5 looked too promising)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
marine, raymarine, wind