Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2018, 04:51   #1

Canada data only mobile internet hotspot

I can find lots of details on this for the US, but not so much for Canada...

I'm looking for some type of mobile hotspot I can put on a boat with a data only subscription. The data volume would be low, and I only want to pay for say 3-5 months a year (the sailing season).

Any pointers?

Thanks,

Allan.
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 17:12   #2

Re: Canada data only mobile internet hotspot

As a guess try Koodo, pay as you go.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 17:35   #3

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)

If you have an iPad or other tablet that is 4g/LTE capable, that may be the best route. Then just tether your devices to it.

Looking for data only packages this way eliminates any upselling to getting an unwanted phone package.

Conversely there is a company called Knowroaming

They sell international pay as you go sim cards and stickers that go over your sim card that essentially turn any phone/tablet into having two sims in one. I've used them for several years in my work as an airline pilot and found the service works great in most countries. So far the only place it hasn't worked for data was French Polynesia. The only downside with knowroaming is I haven't been able to share data with another device using it.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 22:36   #4

telus sells their smart hubs, can get data only plans.

if you buy the modem outright, you should be able to start and stop the plan anytime.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/internet...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

have put many on boats on the west coast. no idea on east coast service
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 03:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
telus sells their smart hubs, can get data only plans.

if you buy the modem outright, you should be able to start and stop the plan anytime.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/internet...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

have put many on boats on the west coast. no idea on east coast service

I used Telus a few times, but it you are not Canadian, it's a real pain in the butt.

First, you need to have a Canadian billing address. Your US address won't work. Once I gave them the address of their store. They didn't catch on, and it worked. The second time I gave them a friend's address.

Next, if you are going to pay with a credit card, it has to have a Canadian billing address on the card account. Good luck with that.

The you might think you are smart like me, and just send them a check for each month's bill. Well, you will discover that your US bank will only pay in US dollars, not CND. But hey, you are really smart and can figure out the exchange rate. Good luck with that since everyone uses a different exchange rate. You will get close with your payment, but never get it right. I ended up carrying a credit balance for a few years before I was able to sort it out.
Old 24-06-2018, 06:42   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayates View Post
I can find lots of details on this for the US, but not so much for Canada...

I'm looking for some type of mobile hotspot I can put on a boat with a data only subscription. The data volume would be low, and I only want to pay for say 3-5 months a year (the sailing season).

Any pointers?

Thanks,

Allan.
I would suggest you purchase an unlocked MIFI device. Telus will sell you an unlocked Novatel Wireless MiFi 7000 for $200cad. However it can be purchased other places. Some Huawei devices work as well, but you need to do the research and ensure it will work with the frequencies used by the Canadian providers.

As to a provider... Canada really sucks for cell data. At the moment I think the best data deals are probably through Public Mobile (www.publicmobile.ca). They have a 4.5GB for $40 deal at the moment. Its no contract, pay up front. Someone may correct me, but for a "No Contract" plan, I think its the best deal.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, internet, mob