Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2016, 11:03   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Can you recommend a good battery tester for my 12v boat battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Plug a voltmeter into your 12 v system and be aware of the readings. Amazon has very inexpensive ones designed for use in cars.

I have a Smart Gauge now, but truthfully I think you can determine a lot by doing the above, it's what I did with no issues before the Smart Gauge
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 11:37   #17

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

I also keep aboard/ use the inexpensive Harbor Freight Tool battery checker. It has a 100a load switch that simulates the battery under load giving you a much better picture of the condition of the battery. You can/ and I recommend not just hooking it up the at battery terminals. If you go right to the starter terminal you'll get a whole circuit path test with your 100a load switch on. If the battery test ok, but this fails, you'll know that you have corrosion somewhere in your high current wiring/ usually a connector. I've seems these Harbor Frieght meters as low as $15, but usually abt $49. Worth every cent of either price! Batteries/ battery maintenance, troubleshooting battery issues quickly/ accurately is so important to us boaters, I consider it to be one of my most important tools aboard. And I keep one aboard... doesn't do you any good in the garage when you wake up on a cruise with battery issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 13:06   #18

Agree a Harbor Freight Load Tester is an inexpensive but very valuable addition to your tool assortment.

Always a great idea to have a spare battery at the ready, especially single engine, kids, away from help.

West Marine sells a great device called a battery combiner. It makes sure your primary battery is fully charged, and then aims the charging current to the second battery bank until it is in turn fully charged. Then it isolates the two. All automatically, once parameters are set up.

MAGNUM ENERGY Smart Battery Combiner | West Marine
LooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 06:26   #19

Boat: Wellcraft 180

Thanks so much! Tons of very useful info!
Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 07:04   #20

Boat: Liberty 458

Multi meter and hydrometer. If you measure battery voltage while cranking you get voltage under load. You dont need a load tester unless you're testing lots of batteries that arent installed.

A hydrometer allows you to check individual cells in a flooded lead acid battery. A little slower and a little messier but the more precise means of determining state of charge. Only valid for a resting batterry.

We have a digital readout for each of our 3 x house and 2 x starting battery banks. In addition our battery management panel provides voltage of our house and starting bank. I glance at these readouts every time I traverse the passageway.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 06:02   #21

Boat: Wellcraft 180

Awesome! Thanks so much!
Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 15:31   #22

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

On this subject, I'm a generator technician and we maintain residential and commercial emergency generators. My policy is that generators that don't start are useless, so I insist on changing the battery every two years on all the units we maintain. That eliminates 90% of our failures. If the owner waits for the battery to fail, that is a designed to fail system. A boater needs a 100% reliable starting engine, so change the battery regardless of status. In warm climates, starting batteries won't last much more than two years anyway. You can still use the battery for other purposes, just not for your boat (or generator).

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, men