Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2018, 08:52   #1

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter
Can you network VHF radios that have AIS with Cell phones or other MFD'S using WiFi o

Down the road I plan to get a dedicated chartplotter and Nema 2000 backbone to connect things like transducers and radios sensors for the engine, and the like. But we want to wait two years, when we next have the boat out of the water, to properly install a thru Hull depth sounder. Meanwhile for this season we would like to add a new VHS radio with all the bells and whistles including AIS, and I would like to be able to see the AIS data on an app on my cell phone. Can I setup a Wi-Fi network on the boat and our radios capable of talking to other systems with Wi-Fi?
I am really quite new to all these new Marine Electronics systems, although not new to boating.
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 11:06   #2

Re: Can you network VHF radios that have AIS with Cell phones or other MFD'S using Wi

Buy a vesper ais with built in wifi
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 17:08   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Can you network VHF radios that have AIS with Cell phones or other MFD'S using Wi

VHF radios generally don't output to WiFi, there's no reason for them to do that. No mass market for it.

You cell phone could use an AIS app to read the data from a web server--but that's often delayed or incomplete, not necessarily accurate. If your boat will be within range of some AIS receiving app that puts the data out on the internet, then yes, your cell phone could receive that from another location. How current or accurate it is "depends" on the service and the location.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 17:26   #4

Look at the Lowrance Link 8 VHF , it has NMEA outputs for AIS data, could be connected to a wifi multiplexer eg from Digital yacht so signal is available to anything with wifi. NMEA to WiFi adaptors - Digital Yacht UK
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 19:40   #5

Boat: 1973 van de stadt

Yes.

I just finished following the blog at Milltech marine, https://www.milltechmarine.com/.

Give thier blog a look on using the GX2200 and Comar NMEA to wifi. I followed their instructions this week and my system works flawlessly.

I strongly recommend you give them a call for advice. You will not be disappointed.
spotfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 08:15   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I do not pretend to be any sort of expert on this but using thr Raymarine App i can make bluetooth connection to my Raymarine A series plotter in the cockpit and it will show me whatever is being displayed on the plotter screen.

This is not exactly giving AIS finctionality on my smartphone but is good enoigh for me.
Andrew
Old 21-05-2018, 09:31   #7

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonsuch 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Oldguy View Post
Down the road I plan to get a dedicated chartplotter and Nema 2000 backbone to connect things like transducers and radios sensors for the engine, and the like. But we want to wait two years, when we next have the boat out of the water, to properly install a thru Hull depth sounder. Meanwhile for this season we would like to add a new VHS radio with all the bells and whistles including AIS, and I would like to be able to see the AIS data on an app on my cell phone. Can I setup a Wi-Fi network on the boat and our radios capable of talking to other systems with Wi-Fi?
I am really quite new to all these new Marine Electronics systems, although not new to boating.
Standard Horizon's GX2200 is a very good VHF that includes AIS on its screen and allows AIS to be linked to an MFD. We have ours connected to a Raymarine ES97. It works well. Best, Robert
Robert E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 10:11   #8

Boat: 1973 van de stadt

Greetings

Using the GX220 and wifi I can see AIS targets on my pc and IPAD anywhere in or outside the boat. I use opencpn on the laptop and inavx on the ipad.

Runs all at the same time.

Cheers
spotfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 10:26   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

I have a Simrad R35 VHF with a built in splitter and AIS receiver and which connects to the NMEA2000 network. I can see the AIS targets on my B&G MFD, and the MFD is mirrored via wifi to apps/tablets.

Long story short, most vendors have the pieces to make what you want to do work, although it might require updating a good chunk of your electronics.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 10:28   #10

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

The SH GX2200, and other such VHFs, as stated before, do not have WiFi, so you would have to connect it (via NMEA 0183 output) to a laptop or similar running OPenCPN or similar nav software, or to a NMEA-WiFi multiplexer. BUT you’d still have receive-only AIS. Better than nothing, but not nearly as safe as a full transceiver. Both Vesper and Digital Yacht have AIS transceivers with integral WiFi, and IIRC Emtrak does now, as well.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 13:19   #11

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

We have an Icomm MX500 which gives us the AIS, and have added a Std.Horiz GX1700 which integrates the GPS features. All this feeds a Digital Yacht IConnect which in turn converts the traffic to network compatible tcp/ip and feeds a Raspberry Pi running OpenCPN on the web. The Pi also puts the entire kit on a Mikrotec router which in turn talks to a Ubiquiti Bulllet and broadcasts the Web traffic and handles the email to and fro. The net is available throughout the boat and allows OpenCpn to be displayed on a tablet in the cockpit. So at this point you have more electronics than a Russian Trawler and every capability except broadcasting your position via AIS, although it is avl via the DSC radio. With the progess in marine electronics this could be rationalized into fewer bits and pieces now, with progress coming at almost every boat show. And the costs are dropping as well. Digital Yacht is leading the charge.......
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 06:44   #12

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdr14127 View Post
We have an Icomm MX500 which gives us the AIS, and have added a Std.Horiz GX1700 which integrates the GPS features. All this feeds a Digital Yacht IConnect which in turn converts the traffic to network compatible tcp/ip and feeds a Raspberry Pi running OpenCPN on the web. The Pi also puts the entire kit on a Mikrotec router which in turn talks to a Ubiquiti Bulllet and broadcasts the Web traffic and handles the email to and fro. The net is available throughout the boat and allows OpenCpn to be displayed on a tablet in the cockpit. So at this point you have more electronics than a Russian Trawler and every capability except broadcasting your position via AIS, although it is avl via the DSC radio. With the progess in marine electronics this could be rationalized into fewer bits and pieces now, with progress coming at almost every boat show. And the costs are dropping as well. Digital Yacht is leading the charge.......
Thanks for all the helpful replies, the Vesper system looks very attractive, though a bit pricey.
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, cell phone, hf radio, phone, radio, vhf, wifi