Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 13:53   #1

Boat: 1999 Jeanneau Newco Lagoon 410 Catamaran - Luna Sea
Send a message via Skype™ to lunasea.ds
Question Can You Get Radar & AIS Overlay on Laptop ? AIS Transceiver Recommendations ?

Our chartplotter is a Garmin GPS Map 4212 & radar is Garmin HD. We'd like the laptop to be our backup. We have Maptech charts and a USB/GPS antenna. Can our radar and AIS info be repeated on the laptop? And if so, how?

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced AIS transceiver with built in VHF splitter? We're hoping to spend around $650. Seperate components add up to around $850. Garmin's AIS600 combined unit is $1100+. Have not found side by side specs and reviews online. Thanx.
lunasea.ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 15:09   #2

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Not too many companies offer radar that can be repeated on PC/laptop.

Euronav offer a PC radar interface on their SeaPro chatplotting software which works with Koden radar

I believe Raymarine also offer an Ethernet based solution allowing sharing of charts with radar overlay on their Raytech RNS software, when used in conjunction with E series MFD.

Both suggestions will display AIS data with suitable feed. Try the NASA AIS receiver.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 16:33   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
There's no solution if you are using garmin equipment unfortunately. Yes for raymarine and furuno

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 16:51   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
There's no solution if you are using garmin equipment unfortunately. Yes for raymarine and furuno

Dave
What is the solution for raymarine and Furuno. I have a circa 1996 furuno radar and would like to put it on my laptop but I didn't think there was anyway to do it. Is there a way?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 17:06   #5

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Don't know about Furuno but read this for info on using latest Raymarine RNS v6.2 PC software. Select Features tab.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 23:08   #6

When you choose your RADAR\Chartplotter combination you are also choosing the PC Based Navigation Software you can (or can not) use with that RADAR.

Garmin does not have a PC based navigation package that allows you to do live navigation and RADAR overlay. They do have a SW package for planning and then uploading to the Chartplotter.

As for your AIS questions. I would look on Panbo and read through the AIS posts.
Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: AIS

Best of luck!
-p
Old 08-10-2010, 02:39   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
very good ais software is available for use on a laptop - for example (and my favourite) ShipPlotter
Old 08-10-2010, 09:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
very good ais software is available for use on a laptop - for example (and my favourite) ShipPlotter
This software still requires you either have a dedicated AIS Receiver or a general purpose scanner type receiver which can interfaced with your PC.

This program does not overlay in your chartplotter or your PC Navigation SW, it is a seperate application.

Nothing wrong with either of those things, but just wanted to point them out.
Old 09-10-2010, 00:45   #9

I have been meaning to work on a matrix showing different software packages and their features. Here's a first crack... PC Navigation Software Comparison.xlsx - Microsoft Excel Web App

It should help you see what packages have both RADAR and AIS. Errors are likely, send me any upates.

Thanks,
-p
Old 11-10-2010, 09:07   #10

Boat: Moody 33 - Bijoro
You will get an AIS receiver with splitter for that kind of money but have not come across a transceiver as cheap as $650.
red beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_Seattle View Post
This program does not overlay in your chartplotter or your PC Navigation SW,
But it does provide NMEA output that can be sent to your chartplotter and probably to another charting application on the same laptop via virtual com ports.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 16:11   #12
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
You will get an AIS receiver with splitter for that kind of money but have not come across a transceiver as cheap as $650.
Well The transas Class B transponder can be got this side of teh pond for 399 pounds inc VAT, thats less then $650 ex VAT.

Quote:
What is the solution for raymarine and Furuno. I have a circa 1996 furuno radar and would like to put it on my laptop but I didn't think there was anyway to do it. Is there a way?
RayMARINE RNS software for Raymarines ( only HSB compatible equip) and MaxSea ( Furuno version) for Navnet2d and 3d. Nothing for older furuno sorry

Dave
Old 11-10-2010, 16:49   #13

Boat: PETERSON 44
I put a milltech ais reciever aboard 2 years ago with garmin 4208. Works fine I think it was about $149. Heres what I like I can see the ships name. So if Im up about ambrose chanell Im not some dork broadcasting the big ship headed right at me bearing x come in please. Now Im hey big ship named x come in please and x says yes this is big ship x about to run you over. i say thank you x i will change course to z will this save me. Big ship says yes you live another day. This all because I have an extra antenaa now and this little black box. Im not broadcasting but I sure see them. I like that.So checked to see what has become of the product line. heres the under $500 box that transmits. maybe that helps. AMEC CAMINO-101 Class B AIS Transponder Kit
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:00   #14
Nearly an old salt

if fitting anything new these days get a transponder, receivers are only a passing fad once the price reduces enough.

Dave
Old 13-10-2010, 06:28   #15

Boat: 1999 Jeanneau Newco Lagoon 410 Catamaran - Luna Sea
Send a message via Skype™ to lunasea.ds
Recently found Garmin's video cable with VGS that's about a 18" long. t replicates all that's seen on the chartplotter screen so we can see view from inside while cooking or on really cold night sails.

Thanks for all your suggestions on AIS. We're still looking for the Garmin AIS600 price to drop, or the right alternate to hit us on the head.
lunasea.ds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, radar