Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2010, 08:49   #16

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416
"receivers are a passing fad"

I wish this were not the case. I consider our AIS receiver, which displays on our Northstar chartplotter, to be one of our most important pieces of electronic gear when sailing offshore. I consider ikons of vessels transponding Class B AIS signals to be some of the most bothersome pieces of information displayed on our chartplotter screen. I could care less that the plastic sailboat sailing 1/4 mile away and making 5.2 knots has a CPA of .02 NM with a TCPA of 49 minutes relative to my plastic boat sailing 4.9 knots. When there are 14 of these icons on my screen, I may not see the icon that is the huge steel boat that is 8 miles away making 17.3 knots with a CPA of .02 NM and a TCPA of 21 minutes (or whatever). HE's the guy I care about seeing, and knowing the name of, not the myriad of slow plastic boats who can afford the latest electronic doodad. I have figured out how to filter the pleasure craft, generally (for example, when multiple slow plastic boats are heading the same direction at the same time, and are close by big boat standards but far by sailboat standards), except when they are in my danger zone, then I listen to annoying alerts for hours unless I change course to get away from the slow plastic boats or reduce/turn off my danger zone, which then puts me in danger of big steel boats.

Because of our AIS I have been able to communicate by name with big boats off the East Coast, in the Bahamas, crossing the Gulf Stream, crossing the Gulf of Mexico, in the Chesapeake Bay and Delaware Bay, in the Gulf ICW and even the east coast ICW, and anywhere else there has been big steel boat traffic. I love my AIS, but I really, really don't like Class B transponders.

Vent over.
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 09:22   #17

I tend to agree. Here's a partial screen shot of Annapolis harbor on my Shipplotter monitoring station. 10 boats at the pier and 4 at anchor all xmitting 24hrs a day.

Eric

fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 10:34   #18

Boat: Sceptre 41
While in the harbor at Cabo we had a Class B transciever that was shooting out emergency alerts every couple of hours. That was annoying. It would be nice to be able to filter out boats that are going a slow speed or some other way to loose the "plastic " boats.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 14:49   #19

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Lunasea - I'm in the same position (with a Garmin chartplotter) and not thrilled about Garmin's AIS600 price tag. Have been advised by a local installer that West Marine's house brand transponder (at about $500) will work fine with the Garmin plotter - says he's done it many times. I think I may need to buy an active antenna splitter (the Garmin comes with one), but the total cost will still be considerably less. Anyone using the West Marine AIS?
SCCatSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 13:23   #20

Boat: 1999 Jeanneau Newco Lagoon 410 Catamaran - Luna Sea
Send a message via Skype™ to lunasea.ds
Thumbs down Anybody have success using Garmin video cable to repeat?

I understand Garmin's video cable provides pc monitor output through the VGA/XGA output. We had to get a SVGA HD male/male cable to extend the Garmin's cable to the LCD but it's not easy plug and play from 4212 chartplotter to LCD. The VGA on my laptop is output only so that's not bound to work. Garmin cable and LCD both analog. Maybe we're missing something? Anybody got any suggestions? Thank you. Merry Christmas CF peeps! Susan
lunasea.ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 15:20   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
While in the harbor at Cabo we had a Class B transciever that was shooting out emergency alerts every couple of hours. That was annoying. It would be nice to be able to filter out boats that are going a slow speed or some other way to loose the "plastic " boats.
The Furuno FA-150 has this filtering ability. I would suppose there are some others as well. I have mine set to ignore vessels under 2 knots which eliminates most vessels that are not underway.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 09:15   #22

Boat: Taswell 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The Furuno FA-150 has this filtering ability. I would suppose there are some others as well. I have mine set to ignore vessels under 2 knots which eliminates most vessels that are not underway.

So that commercial fishing boat that is just drifting while lettign their gear soak at night with all the lights off and crew asleep does not show up for you?

I do like the idea of filtering for sure though. Maybe filtering on some other field than speed though?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 13:06   #23

Know I will get flamed,but just go Raymarine with a laptop. This will do all you want.
Merry Xmas
Baz
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, radar