Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-10-2013, 08:41   #16

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Re: Camera on spreader for shallow water

Camera on the spreader of a sailboat and the video displayed on the chart plotter make a lot of since.

It’s a throw back from the good old days of the crow’s nest up on the mast.

No reason why your new version of it would not work.

Actually it would come in handy for docking some of the new catamarans that have a helm on one side and a blind spot on the other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crow’s nest.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	69505  

Old 29-10-2013, 08:44   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMeAway View Post
I like the kite idea more than attaching to the spreader. Send a WiFi camera up, get a live view, haul the kite down to recharge. Kite will give you more stability than the spreader, too. I have friends who put cameras on their board kites all the time, and you definitely get a solid view from aloft.
I can't quite imagine rigging and launching a kite, then reading the signal, all as I'm in final approach to a touch piece of water.

I do know people who do this just to get cool photos of their boats, and I'd like to try that myself.

Of course, this whole discussion is all academic anyway in my case, as I will not be tackling those kinds of uncharted or poorly charted spots with my 2.5 meters of draft.

I do remember "reading the water", nervously, on a chartered catamaran in SVI some years ago.

Old 29-10-2013, 08:45   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Actually it would come in handy for docking some of the new catamarans that have a helm on one side and a blind spot on the other.
I have blind spots on both sides
Old 29-10-2013, 08:58   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

We've had sonar on our boat for 10 plus years now. works great and gives you depth forward as well... The camera might be a fun project but .....
Old 29-10-2013, 10:09   #20

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Sounds interesting. The infer red could make it interesting at night also. I have one in my engine compartment focused on the stuffing box as it takes an hour to unload the lazerette and to limber up enough for me to get in there to see it. It also can record the sound of the engine and has been a big help trouble shooting.
Old 29-10-2013, 10:44   #21

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I think it is a fine idea if you can get it stabilized and/or controlled so you can set the vertical angle of view. My only concern is that it might be one more distraction in the cockpit particularly with a small screen as on an iPad. A bigger screen would show better detail and be a bit easier to interpret.
Old 29-10-2013, 13:59   #22

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Wait for this set-up to be commercialized. . . .

Stanford drones open way to new world of coral research

(partial copy-and-paste)...
The robot in question is a four-rotor remote-controlled drone developed by Stanford aeronautics graduate student Ved Chirayath. The drone is outfitted with cameras that can film coral reefs from up to 200 feet in the air. Chirayath teamed up with Stanford Woods Institute Senior Fellow Stephen Palumbi to pioneer the use of drone technology to precisely map, measure and study shallow-water reefs off Ofu Island in American Samoa.
“Until now the challenges have been too high for flying platforms like planes, balloons and kites,” Palumbi said. “Now send in the drones.”
Chirayath, who also works as a scientist at NASA’s Ames Research Center, analyzes the drone’s footage using software he designed. The software removes distortions caused by surface wave movements and enhances resolution. ...
Old 29-10-2013, 14:10   #23

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

The operative phrase in the article is "fluid lensing" software that allows them to see through the waves, and use the wave optics to magnify subsurface features. I wonder what this program's computing requirements are? Would be pretty amazing if it could run on a laptop, or a tablet, paired with a wifi camera -- on a drone or even just on the mast.
Old 29-10-2013, 14:11   #24

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Love my Hero 3 Black, not sure I'd trust my boat to just its use. Maybe if I were in doubt, I'd use it as a back up. With my luck, I'd forget it up there and a gull would steal it.

I have used it under the hull of my boat on a boat hook, definitely can tell how much water is under the keel, but then it is not a real time camera.

As a previous poster said, a forward looking depth finder is probably best for me. I do like recording videos from above the deck, they always look pretty cool.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 20:31   #25

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40
Some good ideas to ponder.

It was the Panbo FLIR article that triggered my idea for shallow waters in the Bahamas.

I guess a somewhat inexpensive Wifi camera that can be be used for other purposes too, such as the Hero, will a a good testing base to see how useful the whole idea is. I will be using a catamaran so moving mast should not be a problem.

Have to see if it is possible to hoist one up temporarily and still have a stable platform that keeps looking in the same direction relative to the boat. Then wifi link it to an iPad. Doing this while anchored in shallow water should provide a good testing platform.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: