Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-08-2014, 13:46   #1

Boat: Horstman Tristar 38
Buying new Autopilot have a few Questions

In the market for a new Autopilot for my Tri. Originally I had settled on the simrad autopilot to go with the simrad NSS9 ev02 I purchased but in reading through Simrad's own website they recommend going with a B&G autopilot for sail boats.

So now I'm completely confused. Should I stick with my original simrad idea or go with the B&G, what are these sailing specific features that the B&G offers?

Also from what I understand the B&G uses the same interface features so i'm assuming there won't be any compatability problems between the Simrad GPS and a B&G autopilot, correct?

Which B&G? The H5000 or the Triton? What's the difference from a cruising perspective?

And if I can add in here.. Both simrad and B&G seem to offer high current and low current models of the AP computers, what does that mean?

What about the drive unit? I need to add a linear drive unit as I only have cable steering at the moment and plan to keep my current raymarine wheel pilot as a backup AP. I see all kinds of different drive unit options such as split or integrated, and long short and medium length. Which one do I need? Please educate me on this stuff. Thanks!

ps.. I also bought recently the Simrad IS20 Combi instrument package to go with this.

And, as far as cost.. Let's assume I'm not too worried about cost however I do not like paying for features and options I don't need or won't use. So if it works from a practical and useful perspective then we're ok, if it's double the price for a feature I might use once a year it's not really ok.

natew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 14:04   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Buying new autopilot have a few questions

Either one would be fine.
The selection of high and low current models of AP computer will depend on the current requirements of the drive unit you select.

For example, at stall, the simrad RPU160 hydraulic pump can draw 48 amps. The AP computer should be able to cope with that for say 20 secs. Of course it will not draw anywhere near that most of the time, but may be pretty loaded sometimes - like surfing down a big wave!

Simrad ap's used to have an issue with this - the computer unit specified could NOT cope with the max draw of the pump, and the AP would just turn off, right when you did not need it to! Later models were better.

B&G is now owned by simrad, and is used a lot on race boats. The new B&G's have some pretty cool features for a sailboat, and are a bit more advanced than the simrad ones...
Matt Paulin
Neptunes Gear Ltd
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote

autopilot, buying

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: