Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2017, 00:07   #1

Boat: Lock Crowther 150
Buy Iridium Fo now or new one coming?

I'm looking at buying an Iridium Go mostly for getting weather offshore. I think I read or heard somewhere that Iridium is in the process of putting up new satellites that will allow much faster data transfer. Does anyone know if the current Go will be able to download at faster speeds of the new satellites or will there be a new model Go coming out?
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 04:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Buy Iridium Fo now or new one coming?

If you are the owner on an Iridium phone, you will be pleased to learn that it will continue to operate normally using the new ("Next") satellites.
Most importantly, the new satellites will bring much higher data speeds, though new equipment will be required to access those new capabilities.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 05:30   #3

Boat: Contest 40

Gord has it right, specifically from the horses mouth
Quote:
Support more bandwidth and higher speeds for new products

Provide service continuity and backwards compatibility
I found the info here https://www.iridium.com/network/iridiumnext

Additionally, if you are looking for a good laugh, I would check out the comments on their facebook page. Here's a snippet
Quote:
These Silicon Valley Haarp Terrorist Programmers have access to your 18 satelkites,under contract by General Dynamics creating all global weather likely interfacing with your other Satellites
. HELP the US intelligence agencies find the exact location of these HAARP terrorist programmers in Silicon Valley.
teddythetwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 14:30   #4

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
I'm looking at buying an Iridium Go mostly for getting weather offshore. I think I read or heard somewhere that Iridium is in the process of putting up new satellites that will allow much faster data transfer. Does anyone know if the current Go will be able to download at faster speeds of the new satellites or will there be a new model Go coming out?

I am in the same place, wait for a new Go that is faster or hope that there will be a software update that does the same. I don't expect a new Go until after the new satellites are up, which I think is a year away.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iridium