Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 08:12   #1

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic
Bullet 2HP...

First I'm new on here posting, but have been lurking some time. I just did an intro for Ruth and I elsewhere on the site.

I've spent the past few days reading a lot of the wifi posts. Lots of good info there. Instead of sticking these questions there I decided to start a new thread as the questions are primarily about the Bullet. I'll separate these so maybe some of you could comment on them individually or as a whole.

1. If the Bullet is in the 'bridge' mode it is a radio receiving and sending and then passes that info on without any routing. Is that right?

2. If it is in the 'router' mode it just needs a switch attached to it and it will then route to the different computers attached to the switch. Is that right.

3. If so do those computers then have to be hard wired to the switch or could the switch be connect to a wireless router somehow so you could connect to the computers on board without a physical connection. I can see that there would be two routers and that would present problems.

4. So if we want to have the option of connecting on board via wireless should we just consider the bridge mode and hook to a wireless router like the Linksys WRT54GL?

5. Could the Bullet be shielded in an aluminum box under the antenna?

6. Seems like I've read that if the bullet is operating in the bridge mode that others in the area can also receive from the wifi source it is receiving from through it. Is that possible? Is it rebroadcasting the signal it is receiving at the same time it is sending that info on to the router on board? I could see where they could pickup the wireless router on board if it wasn't secure, but can they also pick up what the bullet is receiving from shore?

I'm in the process of building---->

================================================== ==

Computer-Chartplotter Build Index

----> a 12 volt computer based on the Intel Atom N270 and using it as a ---->

Computer-Chartplotter Build Page-1

----> chart plotter at times and as a computer at other times. When using it as a chart plotter I want to be operating at the lowest wattage that is possible, so would like to then turn the wireless router and Bullet off. Anyone see a problem with this scenario.

Thanks for the input,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 16:09   #2
cruiser

Instead of answering your questions, I'll explain how we're using the 2HP because it's probably what you want to do.

We use the 2HP in router mode. It is outside, attached to the antenna. It's supposed to be water-tight and it is made to be out in the open. I like putting Rescue Tape around the N-type connector just to help salt spray from getting into the threads.

The Ethernet out is wired through the POE to a cheap Netgear router that works well on DC. The Netgear then allows multiple laptops, mobile phones, etc. to all share the single 2HP connection at the same time wirelessly. It works wonderfully well.

We have security on all parts of it and it isn't possible to get onto our network unless we allow it. There are multiple way to do this and I think it's pretty secure.

If you're trying to do something different than this, give more information about the end-result of what you're trying to accomplish. Or feel free to ask me questions about my specific setup.

We pulled into Miami Beach and anchored off Belle Island this afternoon. When I brought up the site survey, there were about 200 hotspots to choose from including one that Miami Beach puts out themselves providing free WiFi to residents and guests. The 2HP has given me excellent service again today...
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 16:19   #3

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
I've actually used the 2HP in bridge mode, as our marina in the Netherlands needs you to put user data into a web form. It then works much like an amplifier and just forwards the data as you describe. I've got quite a good antenna on it and I get superb range. The power feed via network cable is perfect for placing it aloft. I've seen someone using plumber's tubing with caps on both ends for waterproofing.

I've also built an atom, but I used a fanless ION board which has an nvidia graphics chip for playing HD movies. I haven't figured out further distribution on board either, either a switch or another eth interface on the computer I think.. I use an SSD hard drive which has lower power draw, no moving parts etc.

Btw try opencpn as discussed on this forum, you can use NOAA vector charts with it.
Old 04-02-2010, 18:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
.........We use the 2HP in router mode. It is outside, attached to the antenna. ..........

................ to a cheap Netgear router that works well on DC. The Netgear then allows multiple laptops, mobile phones, etc. to all share the single 2HP connection at the same time wirelessly................
That is what I'm trying to accomplish. Which Netgear router are you using?

If the Netgear is acting like a router and the 2HP is acting like a router how hard is that to get to work? Seems from another post I read having two routers in the same network is hard to do.

If the 2HP is just routing to the other router and the Netgear is doing the actual routing to the other devices isn't the 2 HP in Bridge mode?

What you are doing though is what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks for the time,

Sum
Old 04-02-2010, 18:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
I've actually used the 2HP in bridge mode, as our marina in the Netherlands needs you to put user data into a web form. It then works much like an amplifier and just forwards the data as you describe. I've got quite a good antenna on it and I get superb range. The power feed via network cable is perfect for placing it aloft. I've seen someone using plumber's tubing with caps on both ends for waterproofing.

I've also built an atom, but I used a fanless ION board which has an nvidia graphics chip for playing HD movies. I haven't figured out further distribution on board either, either a switch or another eth interface on the computer I think.. I use an SSD hard drive which has lower power draw, no moving parts etc.

Btw try opencpn as discussed on this forum, you can use NOAA vector charts with it.
Thanks, could you PM me a link to the board you are talking about. I got the monitor to see how I liked it and will order the computer components soon. The board I'm looking at has the INTEL GMA 950 Graphics Core which I'm assuming will give us the VGA output we need for the monitor in the picture.

The board I'm planning on using is with the 270, are you using the 330? I'm trying for the lowest wattage I can get and will sacrifice some performance for it.

Also mind telling me which SSD drive you are using?

I have OpenCPN downloaded also. At this point I seem to like the raster charts better, but that might change. I liked the OpenCPN as it was easier to use, but I think the SeaClear might be better, but I can' remember why right now .

Thanks for the help and Tot Ziens,

Sum
Old 04-02-2010, 18:29   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner View Post
That is what I'm trying to accomplish. Which Netgear router are you using?
I'm using a Netgear WGR624NAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner View Post
If the Netgear is acting like a router and the 2HP is acting like a router how hard is that to get to work?
I'm not really sure what the bridge mode is best for. I do know that my 2HP is in router mode. It doesn't take anything unusual to make it work. It's all very easy.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 20:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
I'm using a Netgear WGR624NAR.

I'm not really sure what the bridge mode is best for. I do know that my 2HP is in router mode. It doesn't take anything unusual to make it work. It's all very easy.
Thanks Jef, I can't find that model, but did find the WG602 and it says that it "Supports Wireless Bridging and Repeater Mode". I'll have to study up on that, but to me it sounds like it is then not in router mode, but acting like a wireless bridge between the 2HP and the other devices that the 2HP is routing to. Anyone know if that is about correct?

I did find this:

Quote:
New in DD-WRT v24 is Repeater Bridge mode. This extends your primary LAN via secondary router (bridge router) and also allows wireless clients to connect to your secondary router. This extends the range of your wireless network while simultaneously allowing wired clients to connect to your secondary router.
I'm thinking the above is what you are doing.

Thanks for the part number and the added input,

Sum
Old 04-02-2010, 21:08   #8

I think I understand now how to set up the 2HP in either the bridge mode or router mode to do what I want to do (connect either wireless or cable to the computers on board).

If I under stand it right if the 2HP is in router mode I need a Wireless Access Point. If it is in bridge mode I need a wireless router.

Can anyone tell me the pros or cons to doing one or the other?

Thanks,

Sum
Old 04-02-2010, 22:35   #9

Boat: Cal 2-46
The bridge mode is not the mode most crusiers will use. The Wireless Acess Points is a componet of any commonly available wireless router. You will require a wireless access points with the router function included.

To sum up;
-Use a wireless router in boat to feed laptops and on board network devices.
-follow the basic setup guide on the Ubiquity site (I used the BASIC one for RV owners to setup network) which includes setup of AirOS to router mode.
-maybe learn how to run an the ipconfig command from a cmd prompt to monitor change in windows networks settings
LuvToSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:35   #10

That's the (ion atom 230) board I'm using:

mini-itx.com - store - Zotac ION Atom Mini-ITX Motherboards
Old 05-02-2010, 07:24   #11

Boat: Beneteau 393
How do you propose supplying power to the Ion motherboard, as it takes 19v. Is there a good DC-DC convertor which can handle the fluctuating 12v from the boat (ie 11.5v to 13.5v when charging) and convert to a stable 19v?
If so, which do you recommend?
Do I assume correctly that this board can also connect to 2x SSDs?
Nikki
nikki-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:32   #12

Depends on which board it is, mine has a power supply through the case at 12V, but 12V->19V is no problem either. You can get car style inverters designed to compensate for the fluctuations when the engine is started..

Theres 3 sata connectors, I use an SSD for the core sys, cheapest one I could find on amazon, 30 GB or something, plus two HDDs for music films etc.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:17   #13

Boat: Stevens 47
Summer,

I helped my friend set one up last week, it's real easy. Follow these instructions to set up bullet (says it's for nano, but more or less the same).

http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/Nano_Quick_Set-up.pdf

Onece we did that we connected a linksys wireless router to it and used the setup program that came with the router, it connected just like it was connected to DSL or cable modem.

Doug
s/v Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-m View Post
How do you propose supplying power to the Ion motherboard, as it takes 19v. Is there a good DC-DC convertor which can handle the fluctuating 12v from the boat (ie 11.5v to 13.5v when charging) and convert to a stable 19v?
If so, which do you recommend?
Do I assume correctly that this board can also connect to 2x SSDs?
Nikki
The board I'm going to use is 12v, but places like mini-box have small power supplies (M3-ATX) that will plug right into the motherboard's power supply socket. It will operate on 6v-25v and survive cranking voltage drops and also has programmable timers to shut the computer down completely for no power losses after a certain period.

I'm going with one 320 gig 2 1/2 inch SATA drive and one optical drive. The board also has 1 PCI slot and 2 serial ports (use one to connect the GPS to download way-points) and a number of USB ports.

I'm trying to use the USB ports for wireless and TV receptions so that when I'm using the computer/monitor as a chart plotter they could be removed. I'm trying to keep the wattage to a minimum.

c ya,

Sum
Old 05-02-2010, 10:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Thea View Post
Summer,

I helped my friend set one up last week, it's real easy. Follow these instructions to set up bullet (says it's for nano, but more or less the same).

http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/Nano_Quick_Set-up.pdf

Onece we did that we connected a linksys wireless router to it and used the setup program that came with the router, it connected just like it was connected to DSL or cable modem.

Doug
Thanks Doug, that is what I needed. Do you remember which linksys router was used?

c ya,

Sum