First I'm new on here posting
, but have been lurking some time. I just did an intro for Ruth and I elsewhere on the site.
I've spent the past few days reading a lot of the wifi
posts. Lots of good info there. Instead of sticking these questions there I decided to start a new thread as the questions are primarily about the Bullet. I'll separate these so maybe some of you could comment on them individually or as a whole.
1. If the Bullet is in the 'bridge' mode it is a radio
receiving and sending and then passes that info on without any routing. Is that right?
2. If it is in the 'router' mode it just needs a switch attached to it and it will then route
to the different computers
attached to the switch. Is that right.
3. If so do those computers
then have to be hard wired to the switch or could the switch be connect to a wireless router somehow so you could connect to the computers on board without a physical connection. I can see that there would be two routers and that would present problems.
4. So if we want to have the option of connecting on board via wireless should we just consider the bridge mode and hook to a wireless router like the Linksys WRT54GL?
5. Could the Bullet be shielded in an aluminum
box under the antenna
6. Seems like I've read that if the bullet is operating in the bridge mode that others in the area can also receive from the wifi
source it is receiving from through it. Is that possible? Is it rebroadcasting the signal it is receiving at the same time it is sending that info on to the router on board? I could see where they could pickup the wireless router on board if it wasn't secure, but can they also pick up what the bullet is receiving from shore?
I'm in the process of building---->
Computer-Chartplotter Build Index
----> a 12 volt computer based on the Intel Atom N270 and using it as a ---->
Computer-Chartplotter Build Page-1
----> chart plotter at times and as a computer at other times. When using it as a chart plotter I want to be operating at the lowest wattage that is possible, so would like to then turn the wireless router and Bullet off. Anyone see a problem with this scenario.
Thanks for the input,
Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID
Our Mac Pages