Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-02-2010, 11:34   #16

Boat: Stevens 47
Sumner,

Router was WRT54G2, it uses a 12V AC adapter so we just wired the boat 12V to the router.

Doug

Old 05-02-2010, 12:48   #17

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Thea View Post
Sumner,

Router was WRT54G2, it uses a 12V AC adapter so we just wired the boat 12V to the router.

Doug
Thanks, that is smaller than the one I was looking at. That might be good, but also maybe interesting coming up with a mount for it considering the unusual body shape.

I'm still wondering why not set the Bullet up as a bridge and letting this router do all the routing. I must be missing something. Is it that you aren't as secure in that mode or something?

I'm going to get this and the Bullet 2HP and an 8-9 dBi omni antenna and start messing with it in the house and then move it to the boat.

Thanks guys for the help,

Sum

Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 15:59   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner View Post
I'm still wondering why not set the Bullet up as a bridge and letting this router do all the routing. I must be missing something. Is it that you aren't as secure in that mode or something?
Sum
You can set it up as a bridge and it will work but you will have to go through a lot more steps to gain access to the bullet every time you want to change to a new AP. To make changes simple set it as a NAT/Router and plug it into the WAN port of your wireless router. Your wireless router will still do all the routing for your on board network.
Old 05-02-2010, 20:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
You can set it up as a bridge and it will work but you will have to go through a lot more steps to gain access to the bullet every time you want to change to a new AP. To make changes simple set it as a NAT/Router and plug it into the WAN port of your wireless router. Your wireless router will still do all the routing for your on board network.
Thanks Bob, I'll do that,

Sum
Old 05-02-2010, 21:19   #20

Boat: S/V Running Fish - Passport 40
Which antenna for Bullet?

Looking for recommendations for antenna and stern-rail mount for The 2HP. Thanks
Old 01-03-2010, 16:24   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 411
Send a message via Skype™ to mlahrkamp
Having installed bullets, mast and rail and in between:
When installing a Bullet at the masthead - turn the LEDs inward toward the mast. You can't see them from the deck anyway. The LEDs can be bright enough that they can be confused as masthead lights by other boats nearby.
mlahrkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 18:58   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
To make changes simple set it [the Bullet] as a NAT/Router and plug it into the WAN port of your wireless router.
With this configuration you will end up with dual router setup. That can be problematic and more confusing to connect to the Bullet. You'd be better off to connect the Bullet, with router settings and DHCP server enabled, into one of the LAN ports of a downstream router. Most routers will then act like a wireless enabled switch, without the second router functionality.
Old 01-03-2010, 21:56   #23
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
In other words, you config the bullet as router and the "wireless router" as AP-bridge.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:25   #24
Marine Service Provider

To be correct, you don't need to configure the wireless router as a bridge or router since that functionality is between the WAN and LAN ports. By not using the WAN port and connecting only with the LAN ports, it becomes irrelevant as to what the wireless router is configured as. Now, you could use the WAN port in bridge mode if you truly needed it.

Of course, you still need to set what the SSID and security the wireless portion will use.
Old 02-03-2010, 15:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlahrkamp View Post
To be correct, you don't need to configure the wireless router as a bridge or router since that functionality is between the WAN and LAN ports. By not using the WAN port and connecting only with the LAN ports, it becomes irrelevant as to what the wireless router is configured as. Now, you could use the WAN port in bridge mode if you truly needed it.

Of course, you still need to set what the SSID and security the wireless portion will use.
Quote:
You'd be better off to connect the Bullet, with router settings and DHCP server enabled, into one of the LAN ports of a downstream router.
If you come from the Bullet as you described above to the LAN port on the downstream router will it (the downstream router) also broadcast the signal wireless to a laptop on board? I'm also assuming it will send the signal to any other computer connected to one of the other LAN ports?

Also we like to anchor as far from marinas as possible. In this situation would you recommend the 8 dBi antenna over a 6 dBi?

Thanks,

Sum
Old 02-03-2010, 16:04   #26
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Hi Sum,

Yes, Michael's instructions assume that every router bridges the WiFi and LAN ports regardless configuration and I agree. However, there might be settings that isolate WiFi clients from LAN clients or just between WiFi clients or LAN clients or whatever possible combination they can think of. Basically, you need to set it so that all LAN and WiFi clients can communicate with each other, so NO isolation.

I think I have seen WiFi routers that can't be configured as AP-bridge so Michael's setup covers more routers where it works... all of them I think. But it costs you one of the LAN ports and mine are all in use ;-)
So, If you can configure your router into AP-bridge mode (it isn't a router anymore when you do that and that is what you want because the Bullet is doing the routing) you can connect the bullet to the WAN port instead of a LAN port.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 02-03-2010, 16:30   #27
Marine Service Provider

I have not found a router that would not allow every device plugged into a LAN port or connected wirelessly to operate when upstreamed via the LAN port. As Nick says, the Wi-Fi settings still need to be set up to provide SSID, security, isolation, etc. as required. LAN ports will act simply as a basic network switch, not suppressing any traffic.

Regarding antenna selection: 8dBi will work. We have found 6dBi more desirable as it provides a better over all signal radiation pattern - beneficial for close in and still works further out (2-3 miles reliably, max 5 miles so far in our tests). Not a lot of difference between a 6 and an 8. After all, it is only a 2dbi increase. The size is smaller for a 6 (about 1/3 smaller) and less prone to get 'in the way'. And it stays within the limits of the FCC regulations which limit transmit power when using an antenna higher than 6dBi and a transmitter capable of 1000mW output.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask the forum any other questions.
Old 02-03-2010, 18:41   #28

Thanks Michael and Nick, that clears up some questions I had . You guys have some good info,

Sum

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: