Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 05:59   #1

Boat: Oyster 66
Broken B&G compass and an old Raymarine. Repair or upgrade?

I have a B&G Halcyon 2000 compass feeding into a Hydra 2000 processor and an ACP 2 pilot. The compass has broken, but can be fixed for $300 with a software upgrade too. Reading posts here it seems the trend is to move towards a solid state 3 axis stabilized compass like the Maretron SSC200 or Airmar H2183 and I feel I might be able to substantially improve my equipment with a modern advanced compass like these.

I asked B&G if I could do it and all they suggested was they can offer me their KVH based unit for $many000s. I don't want to spend that kind of money, and I don't think I need to. I am hesitant though to buy a unit if it doesn't work. Would it work - has anyone tried it or any other type with my kind of B&G set up and can it be adapted to make it work?

Although the pilot works OK, I suspect that imperfect heading information from the B&G fluxgate compass is the reason why my autopilot works harder than I think it should. Even on the economy setting it moves a lot. A clue things are not quite right is when I look at the heading read out it takes a while to settle down. It is virtually impossible to follow a heading manually by reading the B&G display numbers. Do these sound like symptoms of the suspected illness?

Maybe I could use it on my Raymarine RL80CRC radar/plotters? They have a cheapo old Raymarine fluxgate as their input. Here the problem is that I get a poor MARPA performance with frequent drop-outs and fluctuating CPA information, I suspect here again these problems are down to the poor heading information? How do I get a new compass to work here for me - ideally it would be the same compass?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass, raymarine