Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2013, 22:24   #1

Boat: Hunter 44DS
Bose sound system

On my 2003 44DS I recently purchased, the Bose stereo system has been replaced by 2 DVD player (1 blue ray ) but the big black box under the seat (looks like a PC but is a sound system I think) is still installed. I just replaced the TV with an new 12volt TV to suit our region by wiring into the existing TV 12volt plug and worked great but have discovered that when I switch the entertainment switch on, on the switchboard it actually switches on an inverter to run the sound system witch some how puts 12 volt power to the TV. Seems stupid to run an inverter to run a 12 volt TV. Any one have any idea how the TV would be wired thru this sound system?
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 02:10   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Bose sound system

Running as much as possible directly via 12v, rather than an inverter can make an important difference power wise. Many inverters use a significant amount of standby power, so if an inverter needs to on anyway ( to say run the DVD player) the extra power cost of running a 12v TV via an inverter is not very high, but if you can run the whole system and watch a movie without the inverter the reduced power consumption can be worthwhile.

There is a slight risk running "12v" appliances directly from the boat batteries as voltages can be above 14.5v at times. Most electronics will cope with this fine, but very occasionally you can destroy equipment.

The TV will have an audio output jack, usually 3.5mm if you are happy with just 2 channel. There are a number of very efficient T class audio amps that will run directly from 12v. They are very efficient with excellent, almost audiophile sound quality.
For $40 it may be the best solution.

However the Bose may have an active subwoofer running from AC in which cas you will forced to run the inverter. You can run the TV directly from 12v, but if the inverter needs to on anyway the power saving will not be great.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 03:29   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
That is correct Nolex.i have Bose system on board and it requires 2 power feeds. 1 at 110v for controller and 2nd at 220 for sub woofer/pre-amp
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 04:11   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
On my 2003 44DS I recently purchased, the Bose stereo system has been replaced by 2 DVD player (1 blue ray ) but the big black box under the seat (looks like a PC but is a sound system I think) is still installed. I just replaced the TV with an new 12volt TV to suit our region by wiring into the existing TV 12volt plug and worked great but have discovered that when I switch the entertainment switch on, on the switchboard it actually switches on an inverter to run the sound system witch some how puts 12 volt power to the TV. Seems stupid to run an inverter to run a 12 volt TV. Any one have any idea how the TV would be wired thru this sound system?
That's not the factory setup. The previous owner has left you with a hybrid. You may want to wire the TV back to the panel to a separate switch than "entertainment" so that you can run it solo if desired.
Old 21-05-2013, 05:11   #5

Boat: Hunter 44DS
Re: Bose sound system

Thanks for that, I think I will ditch the sub woofer preamp and just wire the 12volt thru direct. The inverter is still needed to run the Blue ray player but I don't really need that as the new tv has a built in DVD player any way, When I get back up to the boat in 3 weeks I will have a closer look at it. I assume the TV just plugs into the sub woofer amp box. Thanks
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote