Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 07:22   #61

Boat: Pogo 36
Re: Boat internet system recommendations

I've used a cradlepoint device which switches between wifi sources and 1 or more cellular chips. They are designed for mobile applications [police etc] and work very well.
SVFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:38   #62
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

if you sail the US coastal waters and harbors you should consider Xfinity/ Comcast hot spots, included free with home internet service. my microtik (antenna 10' above water) can usually find >100 hot spot signals to feed my router. router has my Xfinity profile and logs in automatically to feed the entire boat with wifi that is as fast as my home system.

great discussion on this topic. thanks to all.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:47   #63

Here is what we did. https://sailingwithbloom.com/getting-internet-on-a-boat-the-cruisers-wifi-dilemna/ Been quite happy with it but have just changed it some. Will update this post shortly. We now have a stand alone cell booster and the WiFi system separate. We find this better for our needs...
Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:38   #64

Boat: 37' O'Day center cockpit sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
In my experience, the best "yacht" wifi systems use hardware that's closer to approx 50% to 70% of the whole system price. In my last encounter with one, it was ubiquiti (bullet, nano, pico, etc)... good stuff

I've also used ubiquiti hardware in custom commercial projects. From these experiences, it's my opinion that the convenience provided by the software added to the better "yacht" systems is good value, if you don't want to spend the hours (and frustration, and googling) necessary to set up a system from scratch.

Anyway, it seems that your requirement is mainly to boost cellphone reception so that you can use it as a hotspot?
Hi,
I have a bullet too but can't seem to get it to work. The company tech support has been useless.
fieldmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:56   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldmedik View Post
Hi,
I have a bullet too but can't seem to get it to work. The company tech support has been useless.
From my research, their newer bullets can no longer be used in bridge mode, and they are airmax only. If you dont see a way to disable Airmax then it will not work. Whether you can load an older/different firmware (even something from wirie's or wave's web page), I don't know.
Boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:05   #66
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
if you sail the US coastal waters and harbors you should consider Xfinity/ Comcast hot spots, included free with home internet service. my microtik (antenna 10' above water) can usually find >100 hot spot signals to feed my router. router has my Xfinity profile and logs in automatically to feed the entire boat with wifi that is as fast as my home system.

great discussion on this topic. thanks to all.
Losing the xfinity hotspots was the only thing that made me sad about giving up cable-it was super handy and convenient.

(we switched providers when we moved because our condo has in-house free cable).
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:09   #67

Boat: Bavaria 390 Lagoon 39.8ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
From my research, their newer bullets can no longer be used in bridge mode, and they are airmax only. If you dont see a way to disable Airmax then it will not work. Whether you can load an older/different firmware (even something from wirie's or wave's web page), I don't know.
True.
The Bullet AC only will talk to other Airmax devices. You cannot switch Airmax off like you can with M or TI. The Bullet M or TI is still available and eben with latest firmware you can turn Airmax off for bridge mode.
MichelleWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:19   #68
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post
Losing the xfinity hotspots was the only thing that made me sad about giving up cable-it was super handy and convenient.

(we switched providers when we moved because our condo has in-house free cable).
Just ask a friend to create a log-in for you

Some stores/restaurants even post a generic login that should work
Old 07-01-2019, 09:19   #69
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleWhy View Post
True.
The Bullet AC only will talk to other Airmax devices. You cannot switch Airmax off like you can with M or TI. The Bullet M or TI is still available and eben with latest firmware you can turn Airmax off for bridge mode.
Good to know just wish there was a dual band 2.4/5ghz bullet M or Ti. Rather not have two bullets and two antennas.

I am hoping to finish designing this week and will post up the hardware I selected. Might take me a few weeks to find the time to configure and test everything. Trying to find my Radioshack AC to 12v DC converter right now...
Old 07-01-2019, 09:42   #70

Boat: Dufour Sortilege 12.4m
Send a message via Skype™ to simonmorice

I have a Teltonika RUT950 cellular router (approx £150) that will handle the failover from WAN. I used it for transmitting HD video from an RV and intend to install it on my boat for the same requirement as you. OpenWrt is an Open Source router firmware that will turn compliant devices into something that will connect to shoreside WiFi and act as WAN to the RUT950. Add high gain antennas and you're done.
simonmorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:02   #71

I have read and taken a great deal of advice from the Sailbits.Com forum.

My needs include marina wifi access, cellular internet access during coastal sailing and a wifi router with automatic failover between wifi and cellular.

My setup includes:
1. Mikrotik Groove A 52HPacn (2.4ghz/5ghz) wifi radio and antenna (similar to Ubiquiti Bullet) ($100).
2. Newest Netgear Hotspot (utilizing LTE Advanced Bands), Netgear AC815s ($100)
3. Peplink Pepwave SOHO WiFi Router ($200). There are other Peplink and Cradlepoint (don’t like) business routers that can do this and their setup may work better.

Additionally, I have a cellular booster and external cellular antenna to bring a strong cell signal down to my hotspot. Total cost for everything is around $1200.

Ubiquiti 2.4ghz Bullet (Bullet M2HP) is still available but isn’t something Ubiquiti is promoting any more. The Mikrotik wifi radio really works well once you get through the configuration/setup. Just go to YouTube ..or Sailbits.com for more help.

I have several other boaters nearby that i have helped with the same setup.
austin2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:07   #72

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
I have a Pepwave MAX BR1 MKII and it's pretty good. I got mine through my employer and didn't pay full price. Not sure I would pay full price without trying something else first. It can be very expensive.

Key elements are 5ghz wifi, and all the cellular frequencies. Peplink also provide lists of certifide service providers for their equipment.

https://www.peplink.com/lte-networks/

We also put two antennas up at the first spreaders. This is specifically to get the antennas above obstructions. Be sure to review the specifications of the antennas you select in order to get ones that are compatible with the wifi and cellular networks you are hoping to connect to. And high quality cable. I used LMR400. It's thick but if you can squeeze it into your boat it'll perform well.

*** In my personal and professional experience the 2.4ghz wifi spectrum is massively over saturated in urban areas and in marinas. 5ghz may not have the range or penetrating potential but it is far more reliable in open areas when available.

I was able to test one of these at work before I bought mine. It works really well. We went for the Slim, because I could hard wire it to a panel switch (it has a terminal block for direct DC), it will take a USB Charge brick as a power source (If I want to work on the beach), and it allows for 2 SIMs. I have a T-Mobile SIM and a Google Fi SIM in it now, but I have also used it with Verizon SIMs as well.

You can configure it to prioritize your WAN, so LAN being highest then WiFi, then Cellular or what ever works best in your situation. It also acts as the boats Wifi AP on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

There are two models you can buy, one for the US\North America and one that is International the difference being the frequencies it supports. There is a list of the countries that each of the models support on the spec page so you can pick the one that supports your cruising area.

I have been working and living on board for a year now and this device has been the most reliable method of getting internet access.

I currently don't have external antennas but that is something that I have considered. There have only been a couple places where I felt this would have made any difference and I didn't stay long enough to warrant the work or the expense.

Good Luck!
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:13   #73

I use a Cradlepoint Router. It has an external antenna and two SIM slots. It picks up marina wifi hotspots or cellular data depending on the priority you have assigned and rebroadcasts then over its own WiFi signal or through a network cable direct to your computer.
It runs on 12v. Designed for emergency services. Its a great unit.
Cons: SIM slots are hard to get to and the interface takes a bit of getting used to but once it's up and running it's troublefree.
Kerryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:58   #74

Boat: Bavaria 390 Lagoon 39.8ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
Good to know just wish there was a dual band 2.4/5ghz bullet M or Ti. Rather not have two bullets and two antennas.

I am hoping to finish designing this week and will post up the hardware I selected. Might take me a few weeks to find the time to configure and test everything. Trying to find my Radioshack AC to 12v DC converter right now...
Yes. I thought the same when I installed the bullet. But reality is you won't find that many 5G hotspots. If you can reach a relatively unstable 2.4G hotspot from your anchorage or mooring, 5G will be completely unstable or not receivable from that same station. And I don't know of any marina here in Germany or Denmark that have 5G. It won't get better when sailing the Med or Caribbean :P
MichelleWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:30   #75

Boat: 1975 Ta Chaio CT41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstory View Post
Wow! Don't go off-shore too far, you may go through bandwidth withdrawal. ;^)
And if the auto pilot we're to ever go out I could see a mutiny and a few burials at sea. My advice would be to get a life.
curtis742 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, internet, men