Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 19:56   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Binoculars? Which ones? Heeeellllpppp!

I am in New York with a bucket of cash to buy new bond's. Yippee!
But the range is huge!

West Marine has West Marine branded Steiner 7x 50's for $399 and exact same West Marine 7x 50's not Steiner for $599. Sounds weird!

What's the "best"?

What about image stabilization and night vision that's affordable?

Thoughties puleeeeeze.

Mark

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 20:04   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Binoculars? Which ones? Heeeellllpppp!

Without any doubt Zwarovski. Even if you don't buy one, just go and look through one to see what the benchmark is.
Old 07-11-2015, 20:06   #3

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I have a pair of 20 year old Bushnell with a built in compass that you read through the eye piece and a horizontal and vertical scale and they have been great . the compass is 1 degree and dampened so is very use full as a hand bearing compass. don't know the model or power, sorry
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 20:18   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

We have few threads about the subject already.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 20:31   #5

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Best bang for the buck?

... pop round to B&H and pick up a pair of these. Fujinon 7x50 FMTR-SX Polaris Binocular 7107507 B&H Photo Video

The duck's guts of binoculars.... as used by better navies around the world..
Old 07-11-2015, 20:35   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I bought these ones.. They were affordable and work very well on the water. The lenses seem to be well filtered for ocean use.

Fujinon 7x50 WPC-XL Mariner Binocular with Compass 7107751 B&H
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 20:48   #7

Boat: 19T Gaff Cutter

Mark ,
We have had these http://www.amazon.com/STEINER-BINOCU.../dp/B00F0X1ZNI aboard Avalon for 10 years. And they still amaze me with their low light ability. They are very rugged design (I've been clumsy ) dropped on deck from spreaders ! ouch.
We do keep a set of cheapos for when the yougun's are aboard and want to play lookout. We used to have a set of WM before we mortgaged the house and splurged for Steiner....not one regret .

Cheers, Stonefloat
Stonefloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 21:46   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

They are god awfully expensive, but once you try a pair of image stabalized binoculars you will never go back. They really are night and day better.

Good low light is nice, but I don't find it all that helpful on boats. Either it's pitch black and won't help, or there is enough light it doesn't matter much. The major difference I find is moon lit nights looking for something unlit on the horizon.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 22:10   #9

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Best bang for the buck?

... pop round to B&H and pick up a pair of these. Fujinon 7x50 FMTR-SX Polaris Binocular 7107507 B&H Photo Video

The duck's guts of binoculars.... as used by better navies around the world..
X2. Little bit heavy but unsurpassed in image quality against anything else within the price range. They're a favourite of stargazers, too, I believe.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 22:17   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

MarkJ,

Check out some Canon image stabilized binos. Ours are light, so easy to hold, and the stabilization is fair. They were not very expensive when we bought them.

Having said that, and while the Canons are Jim's favorite, I like our ancient Fujinons. They are about 3 times heavier, and no image stabilization at all, but the light gathering capabilities are excellent. Plus, the housing has held up better.

Ann
Old 07-11-2015, 22:24   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I have already bought a few things from B&H and have trip there sheduled for tomorrow.
Those Fijinon milspec ones with a compass in them are $618 so 'mortgaging the house' is a bit bloody spot on... but as a livvaboard they get used every day and at sea every hour.
I do like it when there's multiple recommendations for the one brand and series
I will look at image stabilization too as have a mate with them and they are great but good waterproof ones will be quite expensive.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 23:45   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I bought these ones.. They were affordable and work very well on the water. The lenses seem to be well filtered for ocean use.

Fujinon 7x50 WPC-XL Mariner Binocular with Compass 7107751 B&H
Same ones I bought on the recommendation of a CF member. I'm happy with them and especially the price. One thing I dislike about Steiners is the weight.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:29   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

The Binocular Buyer's "Tome" (the abridged version):

Steiner 7x50's have been the benchmark/ones to beat for many, many decades. But starting in '95 or so, Fujinon essentially matched them, performance wise. And there are a lot of other contenders for the throne any more.
The biggest clincher (feature) for the title, is the percentate of light transmitted through them. With spectacular (& pricey) ones, allowing about 95% of what they take in to reach your eye.

There are plenty of good binocular reviews which will tell you how much brand X, & model Y transmits, light wise. However, it takes at least a 5% difference for your eye to be able to notice said difference between 2 pair. And that last couple of percent tends to be EXPENSIVE.
If in doubt, Practical Sailor routinely does bino tests. Including publishing this figure, although I doubt that they actually test them themselves on the light transmission numbers. And typically West Marine keeps many, many years of back issues of PS in their in house catalog rack (of all kinds of different equip. catalogs).

BTW, while Swarovski, not Zwarovski, makes some incredible glass. Unless they've changed their lineup in the last few years, they don't make ones with a compass & built in ranging scale. Which are kind of essential in marine binos.

The compass helps you with nav, as does the horizontal, & vertical gridded scale. They allow you to measure the height & size of things, & thus if you're getting closer or further away from them. And also, if you know their size/height, & care to do the geometry, you can figure your distance from said objects.

The compass, of course, especially with the extra magnification, lets you shoot bearings, & use them to plot your position on a chart. Old school like.
Or to know around where to aim the binos, based on your position, when looking for say, an aid to navigation. Like channel markers, rock pinnacles, or a tower on land, which tells you that you're near locale X.

7x50mm is THE standard, for a couple of reasons. 7x is about the most magnification which you can reasonably hand stabilize from a vessel. And the 50mm diameter lenses, when paired with the 7x magnification, let in as much light as your pupil can (theoretically) use to discern things with, in low light.
If you have 7x, but with a smaller lens, you wont be able to see as well at dusk, dawn, when it's heavily overcast etc. Google "exit pupil".

The Steiners, & some other marine binos are heavy, to aid with you being able to stabilize them. Though, of course, they also get heavy to hold; with your hands, or on a neck strap after a while. Your call.
Also, some of the weight depends upon what the binoculars housings are made out of. Some are aluminum, some (like Steiners) are polycarbonate (lexan), & others are plastic, or unknown.

To try out several pair, & settle on one (or a pair), you'll need 3 things.
- A printed out copy of an optical test/resolution chart. Which is slightly different from an MD's eye chart, but...
- A piece of plywood, 1/2" thick minimum, cut into a 2' or so diameter circle or oval.
- A baseball or tennis ball.

~ Now, paste up the chart somewhere in the store, & maybe one on a telephone pole or similar 50+yds away. And take a gander at it with your candidates.
~ Then, have them shut off 3/4 of the lights in the store, put the plywood circle on top of the tennis ball, & step onto it with the binos Strapped around your neck. And take another gander at the optical test chart. ~ Judge Away!
*This would be a decent time to check & see if the eye pieces have diopter locks. A rarity in marine binos. At least when I last looked at them 5yrs ago.*

A few ways to see, fairly easily, the difference between cheap glass, & quality stuff are;
- To check the crispness of what you can see through them around the edges of the lenses, when viewing things.
- Turn them around backwards, & see which pair see more clearly, & by how much.
- Turn out the lights, fully, & then try to see edge details on things.

*** The balancing on the woobly wooden circle mimics being onboard a moving boat, & the dim lighting in the store mimics... you get the picture. ***
NOW you can more realistically see which binos work the best for you. And have the Admiral, & other crew, try'em all out as well.

Don't scoff at the test, given the $ you're dropping on the binos. As well as what getting the best pair means for you, your crew's, & your boat's safety.

Try this same test with the image stabilized binos. Both with the stabilization on, & with said feature disabled. As at some point it may/will be. If via no other means than a dead battery @ the wrong moment.
I say this, especially as stabilized binos typically have tiny lenses, relative to their 7x50mm cousins. So seeing in the dark isn't necessarily their forte. Nor is wide a field of view.

Finally, check the warranties on your top 3-5 candidates. As they can vary wildly, from brand to brand, & model to model.
Although a warranty does you little good if you K-mart, blue light specials, crap out in Bora Bora. So choose wisely.
AKA, do your homework on the brands in question, reliabilty ratings. As well as where they have service centers, & what you need to do, if a warranty issue does arise.

Finally, buy; a good, comfortable neck strap for the ones which you pick. And a box to mount to the bulkhead by the companionway, to tuck them into. That, or make your own.
Also, add a retention strap for the binos to said box, regardless of who makes the box.
And buy or make, a good, hopefully padded, floating case for them. For dingy trips & the like.

That, & keep in mind that it's wise to have 2+ sets of binos on a boat, although both needn't be of the premium variety.
My backup pair are the West Marine $50 specials, which I bought 25yrs ago & was "poor", to go on my 1st boat back then. And they still work fine, but have a little bit of anodizing failure issues (where the strap attaches).

PS: Sometimes you can find pre-loved, or reconditioned Steiners & other high end bino's for $300 or less. I got my Commander Pilot-S's this way for about $400. The catch being that they only came with a 5yr warranty.
That was 17yrs ago, & they're still parked faithfully in my seabag. And even have the original (working) battery in them.

There's more, but I'm sure you're sick of my babling by now.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:52   #14

Love my Steiners !Wished many times I had gotten the compass ,all way's impressed when using them in low light conditions If anyone uses them without the strap around there neck I keel haul them!!!
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:58   #15

Owned a pair of Pentax marine binocs since the 80's, no problems simple straight forward binocs, never even thought of replacing them. Also have a cheap smaller pair for "guests", can't remember what they are.
No compass, night vision or anything and I'm still alive, boat has never sunk. Fancy stuff would be handy, not something I would personally spend money on already owning a decent set. If I HAD to buy a new pair and the price difference wasn't that big......But I wouldn't give up optical quality. Compass doesn't do much good if you can't find what you want to take a bearing from!
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote