Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2006, 20:37   #1

Binoculars

I'm looking at these:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0

Nikon Pro $249.00 - good field of view for the $'s.
Any thoughts on this glass?
Would a digital compass be a better choice?
Thanks
Gary

http://www.stylesupportmidi.com
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 22:04   #2

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I'm not sure why you're asking about a digital compass. I use the compass in my binocs as a back up for my hand held. At that price level, you will have a bright image with fog proofing, handy in humid and wet conditions. I have a lot of respect for Nikon products, whether camera or binocs, I know you will be happy with this purchase.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 08:47   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
I bought the WM ones with the compass. They work fine even when not treated well. Digital compass while cool is not as reliable as a regular compass. Question is how reliable is a digital?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 10:03   #4

Thanks guys - I thought the digital compass might be something to steer clear of.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 12:26   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Reed, something that most binoc makers don't talk about is quality control. Nikon obviously is a good name in optics...but you may find that the quality from one pair of binocs to the next, from the same maker same model, varies in the less expensive ones. So if the model you decide on is locally in stock? Don't be afraid to ask to try one, two, of the same model and if there is any difference between them...buy the salesman a cup of coffee and look at two more.<G>

Tasco used to be a great bargain (risk?<G>) this way, sometimes they were great sometimes they were toally unimpressive. A number of people have asked, since there are only a half dozen or so companies that actually MAKE optical glass, if maybe when a bit isn't quite and doesn't pass QC at one company, they just sell it to the next one, or sell it under a cheaper name. (Like Bausch & Lomb and Bushnell being one company AND also owning the Tasco trademark now, the original Tasco went bankrupt some years ago.)

Bottom line: Make sure the glasses you buy LOOK sharp enough for you, the exact pair you buy. With a good warranty to back them up.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 13:18   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
And try them at night, outdoors in low visibility. Most marine binoculars can go a good job during the day, it's at night that the good ones shine.

Deep
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 13:28   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Reed-
Try http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...sc&fi=all&pn=2

if you want those. B&H are a reputable dealer, offering the glasses for $249 or $259 (the west link says $259 now) before a $30-$40 Nikon rebate, net price $219. I'm not sure why, they list the glasses two different ways. (Color me baffled.)

I suspect West will match the price if you print it out (B&H are Nikon authorized dealers) and let you try them out as well.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 15:07   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
B&H good

I've had good experiences in dealing with B&H.
They will send what you order so be careful before pressing the button!
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 15:38   #9

I am glad to see this discussion and have a related question. When I am on the boat I have 2 different problems. One is that my eyes are quite different (left a lot worse than right) so the ability to individually focus each eyepiece is a good feature. Then there is the issue of having a lot of difficulty with keeping focus on an object due to movement of the boat. I have looked thru binoculars with stabilization built in while on land and it seems really cool. Unfortunately they do not seem to make binoculars with individual eye focus and stabilization, at least as far as I can tell. Any thoughts as to which feature might be more important? I have considered getting a set that has stabilization and just keeping my bad eye closed!
wallm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 16:22   #10

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
wallm, I suspect with use of binocs on the boat, you will develop a way of holding it which will dampen the effects of bouncing around. Major bounces and stabilization doesn't work worth beans either, stabilization is good for small vibrations. For example, just standing up in the cockpit didn't work so well with me and binocs. I found if I leaned on the area by the companion way, with my body pressed against the bulkhead, I was steadier. Personally I'm not that thrilled with individual eye piece adjustment; not what I have in my Nikon 7 powered foot ball binocs, but what I do have on my marine binocs. The individual eye adjustments were popular during WW2. I find the brightness of my marine binocs due to the 7 by "50" (and 50 is the important number here) to be outstanding, birders would even like it, and they are a fussy lot when it comes to binocs.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 18:36   #11

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Birders choice

I just happen to have a pair of birders choice binoculars. They are the Nikon Action 7 X 35 9.3 degree Naturalist IV, about $125- Canadian. You need to spend a lot more money to improve on these. They do not have any dampening control that some users ( on boats ) may find handy. On the boat I use a smaller pair of Celestron most of the time. I also have a single lens noctular that fits in my pocket. It is good for spotting other boats, eyeballing the flashing lights at night, and checking the starting flags and course number.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 19:15   #12

Boat: Tartan 34-2
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0

Best I have ever had, VERY clear at night. As discussed though, look them over good and choose a pair you like, not just the one out of the box they give you. I do like that West Marine takes returns well.
Old 16-06-2006, 01:26   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Since you cannot really estimate distance through binoculars (except by transit on a known elevation), I wouldn’t think binocular vision (perspective) is all that important. I have two 7 x 35 monoculars (made from separated bincoc’s) that I find just as useful as, and a little lighter than , my 7 x 50 Fujinon’s with individual adjustment.
Stabilization is expensive, and not all that effective.
I wouldn’t pay a lot for either option.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 01:43   #14

Boat: Privilege 37
7x35 binoculars will be lighter than the 7x50s, and during daytime will not be significantly different. There will, however, be a significant difference in their abilities at night.
Old 16-06-2006, 07:39   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I think that anyone using 7x35 binocs will be okay in good light. However, they will not serve you well at night.

I would love to try the stabilized binoculars. I have read user reports that rave about them.
water sailing">Blue Water Sailing did a binocular survey a while ago (not sure exactly when) where they actually measured the light coming through the binoculars. Anyone looking to buy a new set of binoculars would be advised, IMHO, to look up the article.

In binoculars it seems you really do get what you pay for.

Deep.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote