Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 07:12   #1

Best Radio

What are some of your suggestions on the best radio to get? I dont want anyth ng too expensive just a good radio with so e decent options and antenna

jwrsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalina 36 (1999)
Re: Best Radio

"Best radio" is like "best boat", entirely dependent on intended use, risk tolerance, and budget. If you're talking a handheld VHF to throw in the dinghy 'just in case', then I'd say the cheapest waterproof handy that you can buy. If you're a ocean-crossing cruiser, that's a different story. What are your demands?

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:26   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrsailing View Post
What are some of your suggestions on the best radio to get? I dont want anyth ng too expensive just a good radio with so e decent options and antenna
To what are you referring? A VHF FM radio or handheld, broadcast band for listening to music or an HF SSB one?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:31   #4

Referring to a boat mounted VHF for hailing and arrival announcing and all of that. Ship to ship and ship to shore comms.
jwrsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:35   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.

Quote:
Referring to a boat mounted VHF for hailing and arrival announcing and all of that. Ship to ship and ship to shore comms.
I like the Standard Horizon series fixed mount VHF/DSC with a mast head antenna. Had 4 of those and none failed me. They should all be about the same with 25 watt output but some may have more bell and whistles than the others.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:06   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: The boat: Cowes (Winter), Above 60N (Summer); me: somewhere in the air!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
I like the Standard Horizon series fixed mount VHF/DSC with a mast head antenna. Had 4 of those and none failed me. They should all be about the same with 25 watt output but some may have more bell and whistles than the others.
Icom and Simrad make good ones, too. I use an Icom M604, but I particularly like the new Simrad ones with wireless remote mikes.

Pay great attention to the antenna and cabling, and the quality of the installation, which will have a bigger effect on performance of the radio, than any qualities of the radio itself.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:25   #7
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Icom and Simrad make good ones, too. I use an Icom M604, but I particularly like the new Simrad ones with wireless remote mikes.

Pay great attention to the antenna and cabling, and the quality of the installation, which will have a bigger effect on performance of the radio, than any qualities of the radio itself.
True: Experienced that myself: For a while my Radio would hardly transmit 10 miles.
Then I rewired with a new fat cable up the mast, new antenna and silver soldered connectors.
Now the same radio could transmit much better and I had 99NM radio-checks with Tow-Boat US in Pompano Beach from the Great Bahamas Banks.
(They may have a real tall antenna, not sure, but managed several long distance radio-checks after I re-wired)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:37   #8

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
that helps narrow it down.

There is no "best" radio. What you will get here is a bunch of personal preferences, likely based on some limited experience with one or two different brands.
You can get that and more simply by searching online reviews of the different brands.

Perhaps a better question you should ask is what, if any, brand(s) to avoid.

Generally, marine VHF radios are built "to a price point" and there is little which separates them in terms of either quality or design.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:52   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've found most basic VHF radios work fine. It's more about antenna height than anything. A popular brand like Standard Horizon that is not this years latest model can be had for $150-165 new in box. Check Ebay. I've never had a VHF radio that didn't work unless it was an antenna problem. They are all limited to the same wattage of transmit power.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio