Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 19:45   #16

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat
Re: Best Portable navigation device Ipad/ Android/ other

we carry garmin waterproof hand held gps and batteries in the grab kit / everything seems to be portable / Toughbook cf19 nav computer with open cpn and built in gps / Toughbook cf30 running the same but used for email and other internet / only used for navigation as back up / 2 Samsung phones both with built in gps and navionics also various celestial navigation tools (night sky has compass built into the screen and can be used to navigate with) / an android phablet (tablet with phone) running navionics and used to read books / older model navman waterproof gps with all Australia wide card includes new Zealand and some of new guinea and Indonesia / was first purchased as portable but converted to mounted in cockpit bracket / all those things are portable and complementing each other / the first mate also has a cf30 and after much brow beating I was bullied into fitting and internal gps and loading open cpn with world cmap so she who must be obeyed has one as well /although the first mates laptop seems to be the most used for downloading books to read on the phablet and accessing storage drives to store above mentioned books and movies but also portable / our spot connect sat communicator which I noticed is slightly more expensive for 12 mth service this year even though we cruise from home port pioneer river mackay qld we have coast guard hook up to use the geo sat system and have local police as the first call number if the sos button has to be pressed with all the normal government numbers second and third also very portable with built in gps, waterproof, runs on a couple of AA batteries but doesn't float / we print paper charts in A4 for mud maps and use a variation of the above portable navigation devices /
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 20:26   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockabout View Post
we carry garmin waterproof hand held gps and batteries in the grab kit ...
And a device without shift key, enter key or period symbol to post to the forum.

Which makes your posts a PITA to read

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 00:46   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wristwister View Post
Whatever tablet you choose, just make sure it contains stand-alone GPS and doesn't rely in cell towers or internet to get a position fix. I believe the iPads that are set up for cell phone service have stand alone GPS, whereas the cheaper iPads that don't have cell service capability also aren't self sufficient on GPS. My Samsung Galaxy works great far away from any cell wifi signals, but I know a lot of other Android devices require a signal of some kind.
Does apple still make ipads without GPS units? I thought that was an issue from 4-5yrs ago.

Even cheap $50 android tablets all seem to have built in GPS.

If you just want a backup, I would get the cheapest tablet available and download free chart plotting software.

If you want it for a ditch bag, get a waterproof pouch for it (and remember to keep it charged).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:44   #19

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

My difficulty with onboard GPS was that when WiFi was turned on, the Windows Tablet with OpenCPN used the location obtained from whatever modem it grabbed. I didn't even need to gain access. At times my location while sailing on the Columbia River was thought to be Bellingham Wa, the location of the carrier's POP. Turn off WiFi, location corrected. I was told the tablet grabs the tower signals before satellites for ease and convenience.

JimK
Old 12-10-2016, 06:55   #20

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

For devices without built-in GPS, I've had very good luck getting GPS from my phone or stand-alone GPS puck using bluetooth.

You can also integrate your boat systems (AIS, GPS, NMEA) using wifi with various wifi enbled MNEA multiplexors such as the one from VYacht. https://vyacht.net/
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, navigation