Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2019, 22:16   #1

Boat: Endurance 44
Best plan for Iridium Go!

Hello fellow cruisers!! We are a family in a world cruising project. We are now in Panama improving some things, so we hope to be ready to cross the canal late march.

Scince now, our satellite communication is based in a Garmin InReach Delorme Explorer, with a monthly plan; and an Inmarsat ISatPhone Pro (no activated yet) for emergency voice calls to family, doctor, etc.

We are considering of changing this because we want to get also weather forecast in GRIB format, so we are in the decision of buying an Iridium Go!

I dont exactly know how it works, but I'm looking for information in internet about the different plans.

Im surprised because each website I visit found different plans. Some monthly and others prepaid and postpaid (?). But each website have each prices... Isn't the option of buying the plan direct to Iridium?

We want to use it for texting family, download grib files, texting via email server, tracking. A normal use as a normal cruising family could.

If someone have been studying all this before and have been found what is the best (price ratio) plan and can share it with me, would be great!

Thanks!
gainza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 05:32   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Best plan for Iridium Go!

I haven't looked in a year but the plan from PredictWind was the best for what you (and I) are looking for back then. Unlimited data and text messages for the lowest price.

https://www.predictwind.com/iridium-go/
Old 29-01-2019, 06:09   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

It's a lot of money and unlimited data is something questionable, Iridium is really slow.

There are also prepaid plans, some for a year with 1000 minutes, or for 6 months, you also can buy several blank SIM cards and activate them on the way for a month if you need it only for particular passages.

May be the cheapest option.

You can buy the yearly prepaid plan and extend the use of the remaining minutes by re-charging it later before it expires, also keeping the number. It depends on what you are up to and how you want to use it.
Old 29-01-2019, 07:26   #4

Have you used a Go in the past? It works great. We received 3 large (very) area weather routing updates per day without a single problem. Text messages and simple e-mail's were zero problems either. Phone calls straight out of your mobile etc made the plan and device a no brainer. I loved it and used it heavily. As for cheap, well, not much in a successful ocean crossing is.
Old 29-01-2019, 07:57   #5

Boat: Amel 50

I am also looking for Iridium GO plans for the Med, even though I do not think I will need it as much as in the S. Pacific. In the Med there is supposed to be cell signal available, and the crossings are shorter.

Anyway, I searched for Iridium GO plans. There are many options, it depends on how you'll use it.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 09:19   #6

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainza View Post
Hello fellow cruisers!! We are a family in a world cruising project. We are now in Panama improving some things, so we hope to be ready to cross the canal late march.

Scince now, our satellite communication is based in a Garmin InReach Delorme Explorer, with a monthly plan; and an Inmarsat ISatPhone Pro (no activated yet) for emergency voice calls to family, doctor, etc.

We are considering of changing this because we want to get also weather forecast in GRIB format, so we are in the decision of buying an Iridium Go!

I dont exactly know how it works, but I'm looking for information in internet about the different plans.

Im surprised because each website I visit found different plans. Some monthly and others prepaid and postpaid (?). But each website have each prices... Isn't the option of buying the plan direct to Iridium?

We want to use it for texting family, download grib files, texting via email server, tracking. A normal use as a normal cruising family could.

If someone have been studying all this before and have been found what is the best (price ratio) plan and can share it with me, would be great!

Thanks!
Hey , for your plan no Iridum sell there time or data to companies that then sell onto the consumer, as this type of consumer will usually be an indivudal
you have to search around the website and find a company that sells the data card for your needs and prices
Be careful of unlimited data , this will not get you internet access for browsing, Gribs , yes, facebook, twitter, all work on low bandwidths , but to surf the web is a no no ,
So if its just for weather a small data plan is good with a limited number of texts and voice calls , as you will always by the local sim cards
But as I always say its your money , and you buy what you can afford
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 10:46   #7

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl

I am an acquainted with a cruising couple who have the Iridium Go with PredictWind. They swear by it. They have a blog where more information is available. Where is SV Brick House? - Wandering the globe...on a 40 ft Sailboat
Donald Bryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 11:59   #8

Does a minimum of U$12 per GRIB weather report sound realistic?
Shoalbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 13:10   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Isn't the option of buying the plan direct to Iridium?"
I think the plan you buy can be directly from Iridium, or more conventionally, it is bought from the dealer, who can cobble together different options because they are reselling the time.
Other than IntelSat or InMar, I think everyone is using either the Iridium or GlobalStar networks, and Garmin is using Iridium as well. So, the plan you are buying is coming from the vendor--not the network operator necessarily.
Having equipment that is using two networks means that one of those will always be the better performing network--until there's a problem and having access via the second network beats all heck out of nothing. That's something to consider as well.
It is always worth contacting the vendors directly for current plan and price information. Some of them will give you clear answers, others will be confusing. Personally, I wouldn't want "confusing" in any deal for something like a satcoms plan. If the vendor can't get their act together on pricing, what other basic business problems might they have?
Not for me.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 13:52   #10

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 42F

I am also trying to decide between iridium go and a regular sat phone. Since the main motivation is safety I tend to lean towards the sat phone. Isn't the additional complication of linking your phone with iridium go a potential for a snag in true emergency?
pskudlarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 15:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskudlarski View Post
I am also trying to decide between iridium go and a regular sat phone. Since the main motivation is safety I tend to lean towards the sat phone. Isn't the additional complication of linking your phone with iridium go a potential for a snag in true emergency?
Not at all. There is an SOS button on the Iridium Go that when activated will send your location to either a friend/family member or GEOS. I had a 9555 for my first ocean crossing - it worked but was MUCH more difficult to configure. You should try reading up on the unit - it's pretty kick butt.

As an FYI, you do not need an external antenna. Just try it - no problems.
Old 29-01-2019, 15:44   #12

I agree with Palarran's comments re Inreach. I had two Iridium satphones aboard that I used for longer passages. A crew member brought an Inreach aboard for global texting, weather, and SOS capabilities. Next time I will have one Satphone and an Inreach. The Inreach texting can be eased by wireless linking to an app on an Android device such as a phone or tablet.
Shoalbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 18:51   #13

Boat: Lagoon 500

Have used the Iridium GO for a couple of years now. Works very well and have had no problems with it so far. I use it for weather and email. I bought the unit from Satphonestore and I use their subscription service. 60 USD/MTH for the basic plan and about 140 for unlimited. Easy to change plans back and forth as required.
I think Predictwind are now offering good deals as well.
AndyinAbudhabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 19:04   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

I went with isatphone 2 for safety (you need to take both the GO and your cell phone if you want to call from the liferaft). I have an EPIRB if I just want to send a distress signal with location. I also have inreach. The isatphone plan is much cheaper than GO. Having said that I'm trading my isatphone in for a GO as I want Predict Wind and if I'm going to do that I'll use email and text from the GO
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 20:00   #15
woc

Boat: Lagoon450

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainza View Post

Thanks!
I am circumnavigating for the past 4 years and consider the Iridiumgo with unlimited data for $144 / month the most value for money and would not want to be cruising without it. I also believe in belt and suspenders and carry a satphone with its own $50/ month plan for abandon ship scenario.
My go is in constant use for tracking at 30 minute intervals, emails and downloading grabs whenever I feel like it.
There are so many emergency cases reported where the go or satphone would have made all the difference.
Don’t leave home without it....
woc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iridium