Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-02-2011, 19:39   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
snip There are ways for the unhesitating to corrosion-proof any laptop/netbook, and that and a bead of silicone/some kind of gasketing and some sort of cover would go a long way to "splash/humidity proofing" these devices.

snip.
Do not seal or enclose while operating. One of the biggest design issues in portable computers is cooling. If the device has cracks and spaces you can be certain that they are part of the cooling design. Too hot and they don't last.

Old 13-02-2011, 20:48   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
No, you won't see much change on the amp meter at all because your CPU's are the ancient kind that eat amps even when idle. To do the same job, your CPU will use about 4 times as much energy... we're not talking about little differences here.

Actually, this is the reason that Apple switched to Intel CPU's in 2006 (yes, it's been 5 years already). It was Intel's "Roadmap to performance per Watt" that made the difference for Apple. They even let AMD's 64 bit CPU pass and went for Intel 32 bit knowing they would have to change to 64 bit very soon. It's the reason my MacBook Pro can go without power cord for 8 hours while I surf the net using wifi...

cheers,
Nick.
Apple swithched to the new Sandy Bridge processors for their new upcoming macbook air and MacBook pros, the Sandy Bridge processor is the most effecient one yet and laptops should see another 2 hours of battery life out of them. Actually they are also in PC laptops, a few were just recalled though.

Old 13-02-2011, 21:17   #78

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
My two month old MacBook Pro does get 10 hours on the battery. It said this in the documentation and I couldn't believe it was so. Have not heard of Sandy Bridge processors.

One thing I noticed, if it is charged on a cheap inverter the battery life is less. This bothers me so I don't do it if possible.

Another reason to buy a pure sine wave inverter.

So if I charge on dock power, I have 10 hours to sail on battery.
Old 13-02-2011, 23:23   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
My two month old MacBook Pro does get 10 hours on the battery. It said this in the documentation and I couldn't believe it was so. Have not heard of Sandy Bridge processors.

One thing I noticed, if it is charged on a cheap inverter the battery life is less. This bothers me so I don't do it if possible.

Another reason to buy a pure sine wave inverter.

So if I charge on dock power, I have 10 hours to sail on battery.
They are the newest greatest intel processor that is very power efficient.

Sandy Bridge
Old 14-02-2011, 00:29   #80
NDH

Boat: Dufour 40
I have had various toughbooks over the years but despite upgrades they are too slow and power hungry, I have gone over to an Apple macbook and run any windows porogrammes through bootcamp.

I also keep an old Toshiba laptop with all the essential programmes duplicated on it.
Old 14-02-2011, 08:51   #81

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Do not seal or enclose while operating. One of the biggest design issues in portable computers is cooling. If the device has cracks and spaces you can be certain that they are part of the cooling design. Too hot and they don't last.
I'm not talking about sealing or blocking any vents, which presumably on fanless netbooks are right behind such vents, but rather sealing the two halves of the case after you've opened the thing to put anti-corrosion spray on various parts that would likely go first in salty air.

As far as I know, the seam between the case halves has no role in cooling.
Old 14-02-2011, 09:15   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I'm not talking about sealing or blocking any vents, which presumably on fanless netbooks are right behind such vents, but rather sealing the two halves of the case after you've opened the thing to put anti-corrosion spray on various parts that would likely go first in salty air.

As far as I know, the seam between the case halves has no role in cooling.
Unless the device were designed withtherproof case, with all the spaces in keyboards and ports and slots, it would be a waste of time, IMHO.

Your best bet is to protect it from condensation, and without going to extremes or inconvenience the easiest way to minimize internal condensation is: Don't let it cool out in the open (after turning it off put it in a padded case while still warm and close the case).

Needless to say, keep backups/HDDimages and protect your personal data by getting it uploaded to a secure server off the boat.
Old 14-02-2011, 09:25   #83
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
i just thro a feather pillow over mine and is fine. i was advised acer netbooks die in somany months on land-- mine is a year old and finemon water..... only protection i gave it or give it is the pillow over its head at night. that way it cant see anything. lol..dont want it seeing that the kat sleeps in my nice warm bed--isnt enough room for it to join me.
i havent found any protection that might help these water and salt injected puters-- seems they work fine up until ye use a 1000 wtt invertor with them--i htink they like a lil more power--as was shown by my ammeter i have built into my ericson's panel. that dell from hell worked since 2008 with a crack in its case...i think our environment isnt what is killing our puters. at least not the feather pillow..... goood luck--my longest lasting one so far has been the hp--was someone else's before mine and was low power killed its mother board..spozedly.
iam finding that my netbook with a 2 gb ram chip isnt a bad investment at all.... not power hungry-- even endured a water soaking just a tad and still works...... is a lil tetchy, but still works fine.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 13:03   #84

Send a message via Yahoo to Sheriff
a Panasonic Toughbook is the best bet but with windows X.P. reason i suggest X.P is i have the experience of installing equipment with vista and 7 and they did not work properly also had where some navigation programmes gave probs untill they down graded to X.P but this may be rectified by now and may work better.
Old 14-02-2011, 13:15   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
a Panasonic Toughbook is the best bet but with windows X.P. reason i suggest X.P is i have the experience of installing equipment with vista and 7 and they did not work properly also had where some navigation programmes gave probs untill they down graded to X.P but this may be rectified by now and may work better.
Microsoft announced XP is end-of-life, and you can't get it anymore. It's dead.

Win 7 is the way to go. I haven't found anything that doesn't run in Win 7 and you can always resort to XP Compatibility Mode if the legacy software doesn't play nice with the new OS.

The big compatibility issues are more likely to arise if you get 64-bit Win7, as then you will need new drivers for legacy hardware. But if you don't have old scanners or PC cards or other such devices you are going to get better performance in 64-bit OS. Otherwise stay with 32-bit Win7 to be safe.

As for Toughbook -- yes it's better. I'd rather have the redundancy of two cheaper laptops and image-based backup/recovery for the same money as one Toughbook.
Old 14-02-2011, 13:56   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Nice all the talk on processors.

Are screens and HDs not major juice consumers in a laptop/netbook field?

Asking because I have recently installed two 19'' screens on boats. One was TFT the other was LCD. One used 1.5A the other 0.5A.

I have also found that some USB HDs will nor run off one port - they need more energy than one USB port provides. And it provides a lot.

b.
Old 14-02-2011, 14:05   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Microsoft announced XP is end-of-life, and you can't get it anymore. It's dead.

As for Toughbook -- yes it's better. I'd rather have the redundancy of two cheaper laptops and image-based backup/recovery for the same money as one Toughbook.
XP is doing very fine - like right now on my netbook. I believe XP is still a major chunk of OS market share today.

I agree with the Toughbook comment. I can have 3 netbooks for the price of one Toughbook. Remember a laptop will at times die even when not flooded / dropped. Just so.

b.
Old 14-02-2011, 15:06   #88

Does anyone have concerns about corrosive spray keeping the moterboard / componets from properly cooling? Air is what cools the components, it sounds like its adding a layern of spray insulation, could this be a problem in the hot tropics? It is probably good for the keyboard but the mother board with processor and ram?
Old 14-02-2011, 15:37   #89

Boat: Tartan 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Nice all the talk on processors.

Are screens and HDs not major juice consumers in a laptop/netbook field?

Asking because I have recently installed two 19'' screens on boats. One was TFT the other was LCD. One used 1.5A the other 0.5A.

I have also found that some USB HDs will nor run off one port - they need more energy than one USB port provides. And it provides a lot.

b.
Screens and HDs are indeed major juice consumers, also video cards. All this talk of processors is only half the story. The smaller the screen the less energy. I don't have any numbers at hand, and not going to be anal and go testing every component, but I know I have the lowest power drive in my "big" (12" screen) laptop, its a WD Scorpio Blue 320gb. I get the 320gb because its the largest capacity you can get with only a single platter. It's extremely efficient. On my netbook i use an SSD drive, can't get any more energy efficient than that these days...

I use the same 320gb scorpio blue for my USB backup drives and it only needs a single USB connection. Even to play movies directly off it or run massive transfers, like full system backups...

High end graphics processors will cost quite a bit of energy. My thinkpad uses the standard GMA950 controller, and the netbook uses the 945GME, both are shared memory solid state processors and extremely energy efficient when compared to the bigger nVidia and ATA processors. Both can handle HD playback with plenty power to spare.

There's no question the newer computers are more energy efficient than older ones, but they still don't have to cost $1000+

Also note that thinkpads are standard built with spill resistant keyboards and hard drive 'drop' protection (even most of the older ones). Plus the built in drop protection on the hard drive mentioned above. Its a non-issue with the SSD in the netbook.
Another plus for the thinkpad is that they all look alike you can't tell if its a $2000 computer or a $300 one, which is a big plus if you're going to be taking into cafe's in questionable regions.
Old 14-02-2011, 15:42   #90

Boat: Schock 35
I recommend consideration of netbooks. They use way less energy than a conventional notebook, cost less and work great. We used ours with a "hockey puck GPS" and chartplotter software in the BVI with nary a hiccup. Runs all windows 7 programs. If it breaks you can replace it three or four times for the price of an apple.

Tags
laptop

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: