Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2013, 16:35   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Best masthead wind instrument

The Triton T41 simply reads and displays standard NMEA2000 data. If the instrument provides that data, the T41 can use it.

We use our Maretron with the Triton T41, Furuno and Simrad MFD's.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 16:37   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
My vote went with Nexus too. Look them up.

b.
My classic Nexus system (pre-NX2) just turned 12 and is still running strong. The wind transducer did freeze up after 8 years, but the new twin-fin transducer plugged into the same mount and socket and works fine, and has bearings you can lube/replace to prevent the prevent the sort of problem that killed the first. That's been the only hiccup in 12 years of hard use.

That said, Garmin has given no real direction for Nexus since purchasing them a year ago, and seems to be content so far to just push generic N2k instruments with nothing new from Nexus. If I were doing new right now I'd probably go with an N2k system, most likely Simrad/B&G (the Triton) with whatever mix of transducers look good. I like those ultrasonic wind transducers.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 19:32   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post

My classic Nexus system (pre-NX2) just turned 12 and is still running strong. The wind transducer did freeze up after 8 years, but the new twin-fin transducer plugged into the same mount and socket and works fine, and has bearings you can lube/replace to prevent the prevent the sort of problem that killed the first. That's been the only hiccup in 12 years of hard use.

That said, Garmin has given no real direction for Nexus since purchasing them a year ago, and seems to be content so far to just push generic N2k instruments with nothing new from Nexus. If I were doing new right now I'd probably go with an N2k system, most likely Simrad/B&G (the Triton) with whatever mix of transducers look good. I like those ultrasonic wind transducers.
Garmin clearly bought Nexus to allow it to have a line of instruments. They tend to take their time before we see dedicated Garmin units ,look at the time it took after they bought out TR Autopilots. I predict in 2014 well see a whole new n2k line of Garmin Nexus instruments

Dave
Old 24-10-2013, 19:54   #19

Boat: Yankee 30'

Hi RedSky, I also need to replace an old Datamarine whirligig. The only problem with mine is the anemometer. The bearings have gone bad and the rotor wobbles around and makes noise. Could it be that your unit's anemometer still spins well? I would buy it from you.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 22:51   #20

Boat: 1995 Nonsuch 354
I have the Airmar WeatherStation 200 w humidity sensor. Love it. Just make sure it's high enough and out of the way of the masthead light. Using it with Seatalk NG to Seatalk1 converter to drive an ST 60 stack, a Garman 740 S and a Raymarine Evolution autopilot. Works perfectly
jabaraco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mast, men, rum, wind