W32PAMELA- As per your suggestion, I was able to to install the correct software
and reset the RB951 using the Netinstall app. That was a entire adventure its self! The router is now functioning correctly (or so it seems!). Also, I will go ahead and power the Groove independently. Thanks for the help pointing me in the right direction on this and everything else.
I will say I spent a good bit of time trying to use your configuration to set up the system but was always unsuccessful. Each device worked perfectly when connected solo to my laptop
or desk top but once they were both attached one or the other could not be accessed by browser or Winbox. I defaulted the units 4 or 5 times and went totally back through the process hoping I had missed something BUT always same result. Obviously, I am screwing up somewhere!
Maybe I will attempt this again in a few weeks but for now I surrendered.
I decided to go back and used the directions I posted above* and when completed the system immediately responded. I could use my tablet to select the RB951 as the WIFI connection and then use the browser to address the Groove (192.168.88.2) and select the desired Access Point. Then tried it with my laptop and it too works as well as my wife’s tablet and both of our phones.
This may not be the totally correct method to configuration the system but it does work - at least for me. Before the original post I ran this setup for a long weekend when cruising up and down 50 miles of Kentucky Lake. I could watch the WIFI systems in the houses and marinas
along the shore appear in the list as I approached and could connect to the unprotected marinas
So I am sure there are probably unneeded entries in my setup but honestly I am sick of messing with this thing so they will remain excess baggage. I would much rather be on the water
loafing than giving myself a headache messing around with this.
* I am going to repost the walk through of my setup as it includes a couple of corrections and omissions. I realize this may not be the ideal way to get this done but at least it is another avenue for someone to try if they are struggling like I was. I would be interested if any one else gets it to work this way - please post yea or nay.
W32PAMELA - can I also ask what antenna
you recommend. I had an Engenius 8dBi Omni but managed to damage it a month ago. I wanted the same again but they don’t seem to be available so I replaced it with an Alpha AOA-2409TM 9dBi Omni. It may be my imagination but it just doesn’t seem to work as well. Also, I am assuming higher dB antennas are not used because of the rocking motion of a boat and the narrower reception
Point of clarity - I have had the system running for a year and a half but then managed to damage / broke in half the antenna (don’t ask!). In the process of replacing it I messed with the settings and screwed it all up and then fought to get things going again.