Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-09-2015, 16:47   #91

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage 43
Re: Best marine WiFi antenna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post

[Oops - just noticed the Win drivers - senior moment I guess. What drivers do you need? Usually the setup is with a browser page.]
Yeah, to WaveRVMAR came with boat and downloadable drivers won't work with Win8 or later.
Cables connections are are also rather corroded.
Looking at IslandTime as replacement.

Old 12-09-2015, 17:02   #92

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Is this a USB WiFi antenna?

Old 12-09-2015, 17:05   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Is this a USB WiFi antenna?
The old existing one, yes RadioLabs WaveRVMAR USB WiFi
The IslandTime WiFi, not USB Marine WiFi Systems
Old 12-09-2015, 17:22   #94

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

We can probably find the needed driver - it will be specific to the chip used inside the WiFi, and should be available on the chip vendor's website.

First determine the chip. Plug in the USB WiFi and look at properties. One of the tabs will show the manufacturer and model number (codes IIRC). Then search internet for codes to determine vendor/model, then find driver downloads on vendor's site.

I can help once you have the details from properties.

Greg
Old 12-09-2015, 21:08   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 450

If you're evaluating marine 3G/Wifi systems (incorporating booster) for your boat then you should review this system. I can't vouch for many of the other very good systems available on the market but Ive been extremely pleased with this system installed on our boat. Locomarine designs and manufactures systems for the marine industry. They are belt n braces. We have the Micro 4G and have been using it internationally and reliabily for 1.5yrs now.
Locomarine - Yacht Router
I also like the fact when they upgrade the software to improve the product, your notified, downloaded and this is included in the price.

Steve
Old 19-09-2015, 13:18   #96

Boat: Antares 44i

Kim and Randy, like you, internet is essential for us (liveaboards sailing around the world). We rely on our Rogue Wave, but it's not only that device that keeps our multiple devices connected. We have detail about the Avnet Gear we paired with the Rogue Wave in this post on our blog TOP TEN "Most Used" Sailor's Gear - Golden Glow
Fair winds to you
Ellen & Rand
SvGoldenGlow.com
Old 14-11-2015, 14:57   #97

Boat: Catalina 400 40'

Ok guys and gals I'm just not catching on to this whole wifi setup. I'm the new guy here and it seems the more I read the more confused I get with the numbers. I have a general idea but my question is has anyone used the ubiquiti rocket m5 hi power 2x2 Mimi rd a base station? Can I use this instead of the bullet, it's suppose to go in the same place as the bullet? Also everything I have read I see people using bullet m2 and now there is a m5. Do I need to use the 2.4 or can I go with the 5ghz? Any help would be great, I'm starting from scratch as in there is no wifi setup on the boat right now. Thanks in advance. Stan
Old 14-11-2015, 15:10   #98

I have to offer a HUGE recommendation for Bob Stewart and Marine WiFi Systems

He provides a configured and integrated system, with optional router. I got the router and he preconfigured it so we had little to do.

It is a one-man operation, but he answers returns phone calls and emails and his support is way above and beyond. When I was having trouble configuring another vendors device to go thru the router, he patiently spent a long time on the phone helping me, even after we'd determined the issues had nothing to do with what he sold me.

And the wifi works great. You might find or assemble a cheaper system, but I doubt it will be better, and I think his support is well worth any extra cost.

- Rusty
Old 14-11-2015, 15:49   #99

Boat: Antares 44i

Hi Stan,
Disclosure: I know close to nothing of the Microcom line. I did notice they run on 110v and 24VDC, so would require a transformer for 12VDC. Worth a mention that the 2.4 and 5ghz are not always 'both' available in all devices. Might want to check your devices prior to selecting only one or the other. Looking forward to learning more about the rocket/bullet...
Rand and Ellen
s/v GoldenGlow
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 18:57   #100

FWIW, the WiFi Groove booster and Mikrotik router from IslandTime run hardwired off of 12 or 24V and has 120V plugin adapters
Old 18-11-2015, 16:55   #101

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SThomassen View Post
Ok guys and gals I'm just not catching on to this whole wifi setup. I'm the new guy here and it seems the more I read the more confused I get with the numbers. I have a general idea but my question is has anyone used the ubiquiti rocket m5 hi power 2x2 Mimi rd a base station? Can I use this instead of the bullet, it's suppose to go in the same place as the bullet? Also everything I have read I see people using bullet m2 and now there is a m5. Do I need to use the 2.4 or can I go with the 5ghz? Any help would be great, I'm starting from scratch as in there is no wifi setup on the boat right now. Thanks in advance. Stan
To connect to "Hotspots" or say the marina wifi, you want the M2. M5's are typically used for point to point/bridge connections.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-02-2016, 21:27   #102

Boat: Grand Banks 36

I have been trying for 4 months to get my Nanostation to work, to no avail. How is it that you can get your Nanostation M2 Loco to work? How is it hooked up? How does it transmit a wifi signal? How many M2 units do you need to make it work? Two? Three? How many other Nanostation components do you need to provide Wifi? Is the Nanostation designed to work with Wifi? Is the factory any help? What kind of programming is involved?
Thanx
Pumpcity
Old 26-02-2016, 18:33   #103
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela

Pumpcity,

The Nanostation's are about the best hardware out there for wifi reception on a boat or rv. You just have to be aware that you are dealing with a directional antenna when at anchor. They can't be beat in a marina or rv park.

I'll give you the basic steps needed to get it working. I am assuming you have mastered the art of connecting to your Nano.

1. On the wireless tab make sure the "Wireless Mode" is set to "Station". If it wasn't already then be sure and click "Change" before moving to step 3.
2. The following settings need to made on the "Network" tab. Some of the headings may be a little different on your Nano M2. I'm working off the original Nanostation version, not the M2.
a. Set the "Network Mode" to "Router"
b. Set the "Wlan IP" to "DHCP"
c. Under "LAN Network Settings" make the following settings:
1. set a Private LAN IP address such as "192.168.18.20". This is the IP address you will use to access your Nano from the browser.
2. Check mark "Enable NAT" and "Enable DHCP Server"
3. Set a "Range Start" = "192.168.18.50" and "Range End" = "192.168.18.149". Your Nano will give out up to 100 IP addresses starting with 50 and ending with 149. This is overkill since you will probably be plugging the Nano into the WAN/Internet port of a wireless router so multiple devices can access the internet at the same time.
4. Click "Change" and then "Apply".

When your Nano has rebooted you can access it at 192.168.18.20. If you started from default settings the login Username and password will both be "ubnt" .

You can scan for AP's by going to the "Wireless" tab and clicking the "Select" button.

In Marinas or RV parks it won't matter which way the nano is pointed. If your on a boat and at anchor start by pointing it toward the shore with the most structures.
Old 26-02-2016, 22:08   #104

Boat: Grand Banks 36

W32Pamela:
So what you're saying, and what I haven't been able to communicate to the manufacturer is that you can use the Nano antenna for reception or for transmission, but not for both. If I am using the antenna for reception to latch onto a marina access point, then I need to use the LAN on the Nano to distribute the signal via ethernet wire to a router or to the laptop. Is that correct?
Old 27-02-2016, 05:07   #105
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela

It can be a "client" (receive) or it can be an "access point" (transmit) but it can't be both.

Get one of Ubiquitis AirGateway routers and snap it on your AC/DC POE and you'll be able to do both.

Tags
antenna, marine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: