Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2011, 16:33   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Best Camera for Cruising

i know there is no "best" camera, but I'm looking for input on getting a new camera for the boat. Will be used mostly for travel photos, posting to FB and blog, etc. Currently I'm just using an old Canon point and shot digital, and before that I had an entry level Nikon 35mm SLR. I had started looking at Nikon and Canon DSLRs (entry level again) but then I discovered this thing called "four thirds" and "micro four thirds" that seem neat and maybe the future. Of course I'm a bit overwhelmed and confused since I'm not a gearhead when it comes to cameras.

Any help/advice is welcome.
Old 23-04-2011, 16:37   #2

Re: Best Camera for Cruising

I swear by my Canon SD series (the SD1400 is the current model). They make waterproof enclosures that you can use for diving as well (they're almost the same price as the camera). Really high quality, nearly every shot is perfect, and they take great videos.

This is newer than mine but it's the SD model:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0035FZJJ4
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 16:49   #3

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

It's harder and harder to find cameras that use AA batteries.. and they are a plus, easily available worldwide.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 17:18   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I have a Pentax W-something waterproof camera.

Very happy with it:
Uses SD cards
plenty of MPxl, 10
5x optical zoom, all others I have found around 3x.
Have taken underwater photos and movies.
Since it lives in a cargo pocket it gets plenty of knocks and still works fine after 2-1/2yr. Get a lot more film of the kids and other interesting with it always handy.
Reasonable price.

The only beef I have is sound quality is poor with the movies. Since I think that is a side effect of the waterproofing, I don't expect any other waterproof camera would be any better. On balance it is a really good tradeoff.

The current incarnation is Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 17:25   #5

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

We have a Pentax W80. Great boat camera! Take it swimming, take it snorkeling, let it fall out your pocket during a dinghy ride . . . it's all good. We keep a thin section of pool noodle tied to it at all times for a float in case it goes overboard.

We did get water in ours during the last week of our Bahamas trip last year, after very heavy use, and it stopped working. . . . Pentax replaced it without question. So I admire their customer service. Now if they could just make their cameras good to 50 feet, and use AA or AAA batteries.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 17:28   #6

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privleoplag View Post
It's harder and harder to find cameras that use AA batteries.. and they are a plus, easily available worldwide.
why do you want AA batteries in the first place,,,, you can get rechargeable cameras with built in batteries,,,, the better cameras have a rechargeable battery
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 17:38   #7

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
why do you want AA batteries in the first place,,,, you can get rechargeable cameras with built in batteries,,,, the better cameras have a rechargeable battery
Yup, and needing a charger is another hassle, or having to recharge your camera. You can use rechargeable AA batteries, but in a pinch, you can buy regular AA batteries anywhere.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 17:51   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Yup, and needing a charger is another hassle, or having to recharge your camera. You can use rechargeable AA batteries, but in a pinch, you can buy regular AA batteries anywhere.
Yea, but I already need a recharger for the cellphone and the laptop. Seems a universal recharger is the way to go ... with solar option.
Old 23-04-2011, 18:02   #9

Boat: Currently boatless

We got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 "travel camera". Two features I like is an integrated GPS that geo-locates our pictures and a decent lens with an extended zoom range. We also have a Nikon DLSR for times when we feel like trying for more artsy photos.
Old 23-04-2011, 18:03   #10

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Our camera takes these little proprietary 700 milliamp-hour batteries. I always carry three or four in a ziploc baggie if I'm going anywhere. I have a wall recharger at home and a 12V recharger for the boat, and I'm constantly rotating batteries through them. Kind of a pain. When we're out on the boat I'd rather use a 2500mah AA battery for days and pop a new one in when it dies. It woulf make the camera a bit bigger but I would gladly pay that penalty for longer life and easier replacement.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 18:10   #11

Boat: private yacht always moving

spend some time on this site,,B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders

they are the place if you want to purchase a camera,,,

personally you are better off with a Canon DSLR but they are expensive, it all depends on ow much you want to spend and how many lenses you want with it,,,,

take a look at KenRockwell.com: Photography, Cameras and Taking Better Pictures and read what he has written about cameras,,,,
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 19:15   #12

Quote:
In theory I agree but the rechargable pack for my Canon is fully charged off our small inverter in a few hours and will take pictures all day. The only way I got close to that with AA's was to use Lithium batteries which are very expensive and terrible for the environment. A modern digital camera will burn through regular AA's; sometimes within 10-20 shots.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 19:34   #13

I agree with Rebel Heart. I like the Canon SD Power Shot cameras. I have two. All the pictures on my blog were taken with one or the other. Including throwing the older SD 600 into a $30 waterproof camera bag for some underwater shots from time to time:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: JUST SCRAPPING BY
I like that they fit into my shirt pocket too. So I always have one on me on and off the boat. Came in very handy on a recent trip to Chincoteague Island.
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: CAPT. MIKE ON CHINCOTEAGUE ISLAND
Old 23-04-2011, 19:38   #14

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

The first question to ask is what kind of photographer are you?
Point and shoot or the kind that likes to fiddle with everything to get the best shot possible?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 19:53   #15

Boat: Ocean Alexander

We just got a Vivitar vivicam 840. It's waterproof to 50 feet but doesn't float. It does use 2 AA batteries which we changed once in a week of cruising in the BVI. We took several short videos and around 200 pictures, about 1/3 of them underwater while snorkeling. As with all cameras it's important to hold it still when taking low light shots. It's a very simple camera that takes great pictures and you don't need to worry about getting it wet.
Alaska JD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, cruising