Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-04-2015, 20:14   #1

Thumbs up Battery Replacement on Raystar 120

I'm replacing the 3-volt lithium battery on a Raystar 120 GPS antenna, but I've lost my notes on battery orientation.

Does anyone know if the correct battery orientation is: Negative side toward the circuit board and positive side facing the viewer?

I think this is correct, but looking for verification before gluing the new CR2032 battery in place (with conductive glue). Note: With the system power on, the mounting clip facing the viewer shows 0.06 volts positive versus the mounting clip closest to the circuit board.

Owner's manual doesn't help, provides no information about the battery.
BJGWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:01   #2

Re: Battery Replacement on Raystar 120

I just happened to be pulling apart my Raystar 120 this morning. The positive side faces away from the circuit board.

Can you tell me what you used to get the old battery out? Some kind of solvent to dissolve the old glue?
electronker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 21:45   #3

Wink Battery Replacement on Raystar 120

I used a thin knife blade to very carefully tease the old battery and foil apart. It appeared to be cold-soldered in place, so solvent might not be effective. The foil is thin, so have to take care not to break it off. I used conductive electrical glue from Radio Shack when installing the replacement, using a thin spring-loaded clip to hold the pieces together until the adhesive cured. Electrical current required for internal memory is negligible, so conductive glue is sufficient. Be careful not to have excessive glue squeeze-out that could short out the battery. Worked just fine for me. Good luck!

Hope this helps...

Bill G.
BJGWV is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: