Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2019, 08:08   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
B&G Zeus upgrade to v18.3 broke WiFi GoFree

Just checking if anyone else experienced this:

Our Zeus2 chartplotter reported an available software upgrade to v18.3. This downloaded and installed (using WiFi adapter) successfully. This required several reboots during the process.

After the process was over, the chartplotter no longer finds the WiFi GoFree module (reports the error "No WiFi adapter installed"). We have power cycled everything several times, no effect.

I've inquired to B&G technical support, but no response.

I might have tried downgrading to the previous version using the SD card, but I cannot the image for the previous version (v18.2)

Any similar experiences?
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 00:36   #2

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Re: B&G Zeus upgrade to v18.3 broke WiFi GoFree

No connection problem - updated about a week ago.

Annoying, it can only be used for LINK, the proprietary remote control app, not for any other data transfer, eg connection to a PC, same applies to the Bluetooth transmitter, only good for the AP-remote control. Would not buy it any more as, when connected to my phone, internet is cut, better OpenCPN on the phone, have all data & internet
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 00:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post

Annoying, it can only be used for LINK, the proprietary remote control app, not for any other data transfer, eg connection to a PC, same applies to the Bluetooth transmitter, only good for the AP-remote control. Would not buy it any more as, when connected to my phone, internet is cut, better OpenCPN on the phone, have all data & internet
Sorry, a mistake, updating with gofree was not successful, i downloaded the update to an unused microSD and installed from there without problem. Almost forgot that already ;-)
Old 28-02-2019, 05:45   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

I updated through the gofree’s connection to a WiFi network and have had no problems.
Old 28-02-2019, 09:16   #5

Thank you for posting this thread, I have the upgrade in my todo list (actually, was thinking of doing it this coming weekend).

I have not done it yet, so I cannot tell directly, but when I did the previous upgrade, the dealer recommended to do it via the SD card, rather than via GoFree, and it worked without issues. So, it is possible that there are some glitches using GoFree and they know them but do not tell. It is also very likely that success or failure using GoFree may depend on the system configuration, so some people succeed while others don't... The SD card is likely a much more predictable method.

I would say try that venue and see if it resolves the issue.

Please let us know what happens, I for one am very interested, for obvious reasons...
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 09:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post

My GoFree (last week when it was still working) absolutely works with OpenCPN and any number of other android apps to display instrument data in addition to LINK. You just need to be sure to use the right connection settings.

In OpenCPN, add a connection (Options->Connections):
Type: Network
Protocol: TCP
Address: 192.168.x.y (x and y to whatever you set it to on the main chartplotter)
DataPort: 10110

Unfortunately, it sounds like my GoFree has other problems now
Old 28-02-2019, 09:40   #7

Yes 18.3 upgrade disabled my WiFi GoFree........, don't know if it can be restored via a hard reset. After some fumbling I was able to get the Zeus 3/18.3 to talk to the Link app on my IPAD.

Also be careful with the CMAP Embark app and the sync function included in 18.3; I tried this on a whim and found that upon syncing all my stored waypoints were removed from the Zeus 3 file and were transferred to the Embark app under "places".......a one way only result.
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 10:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post
Yes 18.3 upgrade disabled my WiFi GoFree........, don't know if it can be restored via a hard reset. After some fumbling I was able to get the Zeus 3/18.3 to talk to the Link app on my IPAD.
Could you be a little more specific about what "some fumbling" you did to get it working?

I did do a complete power cycle on the unit to no avail.

And thanks for the Embark tip. I had already installed that app, but would hate to lose the waypoints so I'll avoid.
Old 28-02-2019, 10:25   #9

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

I updated two Zeus2 MFDs to 18.3 the beginning of Feb.

I downloaded the firmware update to a micro SD card and transferred it between MFDs to apply the update.

The GoFree WiFi1 unit works as expected [as it did before this upgrade] but I did notice there are more wireless settings available now...

While it is unlikely in your case, I have had 2 different early version GoFree hardware units fail in different ways: Wifi failed on the first, and pass-through ethernet failed on the second... There was no warning in either case. It was like someone through a switch...

I'm on my 3rd warranty GoFree WiFi1 since 2014. The 3rd unit was put into service in early 2016, and I have had no issues since then...

Since your MFD is not seeing the GoFree [if you haven't already...] also confirm your ethernet connections are sound...

Best wishes resolving this issue.

Cheers! Bill
Old 28-02-2019, 11:09   #10

Whomda--I unfortunately don't recall all the steps I tried, but the bottom line is that I had to manually enter a network key in the IPAD link app. I found the network key somewhere in the wireless page on the Zeus (under system) but I don't recall where. The network key associated with the GoFree WiFI was "stored" in the IPAD but was no longer valid for linking to the Zeus following the 18.3 upgrade.
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 19:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomda View Post
My GoFree (last week when it was still working) absolutely works with OpenCPN and any number of other android apps to display instrument data in addition to LINK. You just need to be sure to use the right connection settings.

In OpenCPN, add a connection (Options->Connections):

Type: Network

Protocol: TCP

Address: 192.168.x.y (x and y to whatever you set it to on the main chartplotter)

DataPort: 10110

Unfortunately, it sounds like my GoFree has other problems now
Thank you, I'll try to learn about the new features now, those similar names are confusing and switching client/accesspoint mode a pain in the ... as then my S7 samsung will tell me: either wifi or 4G.

I do not want another lte router with its own sim & contract and a second gofree-wifi1.

No mfd, no gofree data. This is why I do not like gofree-wifi. To many times my former Raymarine mfd died on inconvenient places. B&G not yet. With gofree there is no data redundancy any more. Better a multiplexer on the nmea2000 bus with wifi capability.

I can have my b&g radar picture WITHOUT zeus in openCPN, but not navigation data?!

Link app: very disturbing for the person on the helm when the display changes without input and that small fisherman (or rock) suddenly disappears.

Embark: no anchor alarm, else what is better than plan2nav? Same charts, same display. I tried it, test period, but it did not erase my waypoints. I do use navionics and C-map sd's with my zeus˛, same waypoints, tracks, routes pop up in all charts.
Old 28-02-2019, 19:31   #12

Quote:
Just checking if anyone else experienced this:

Our Zeus2 chartplotter reported an available software upgrade to v18.3. This downloaded and installed (using WiFi adapter) successfully. This required several reboots during the process.

After the process was over, the chartplotter no longer finds the WiFi GoFree module (reports the error "No WiFi adapter installed"). We have power cycled everything several times, no effect.

I've inquired to B&G technical support, but no response.

I might have tried downgrading to the previous version using the SD card, but I cannot the image for the previous version (v18.2)

Any similar experiences?
Same same here. The only difference here is I did the update via SD card.

Gofree module is toast, confirmed by local agent. Luckily still in warranty.

Based on this it would seem firmware roll back won't help. (I have a copy of 18.2 on my SD card)
calm waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:40   #13

Update: I spoke on the phone to B&G customer support, this is a widespread issue they are seeing with multiple customers.

If you have an external Wifi GoFree unit DO NOT UPGRADE TO 18.3. Your Wifi unit may become disabled.

The newer units with bulitin wifi are not affected.

He said B&G is well aware of the issue, and to check back in two weeks to see if they have a fix yet.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:46   #14

Thank you for the update!
If you do not mind, can you please let us know when B&G tells you that the fix is available?
I assume several people have the upgrade on hold after seeing this thread.
Thank you
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 00:34   #15

Quote:
Update: I spoke on the phone to B&G customer support, this is a widespread issue they are seeing with multiple customers.

If you have an external Wifi GoFree unit DO NOT UPGRADE TO 18.3. Your Wifi unit may become disabled.

The newer units with bulitin wifi are not affected.

He said B&G is well aware of the issue, and to check back in two weeks to see if they have a fix yet.
Thanks very much for posting this. Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday when upgrading to 18.3 on Zeus 2. Thought i was going mad/becoming a technophobe Please keep us posted on how you resolve....
Arkle400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi