Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 14:46   #1

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
B & G Wind Sensor Type 283

I usually put the wind sensor on after I've stepped the mast because the mast crane is the same height as the top of my mast and I'm afraid that the boom will damage it. This year the lake level was really high so I thought I'd do it the easy way and put everything on before I stepped the mast. Unfortunately I must take a lot more care when up in the bosuns chair rather than standing on the ground and doing it. When I put the sensor on I didn't align it right and squished all the little silver thread-like contacts. The B&G folks in Ft. Lauderdale tell me my model (B&G 283 type wind sensor) is "old" and no longer in production. The only thing wrong is the contacts are shot. They will not repair it. Does anyone have an old one? I got this one in 1995 and don't think it's that old but I guess as far as electronics go it is. When it's working it's really a great unit, a lot better than the Raymarine ones.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:33   #2

Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross
I would try these guys - Myles Marine Electronics, Inc. - An Authorized Service Dealer for Brookes & Gatehouse or keep an eye out on ebay. I bought an older "C" type head unit a few months ago.

What B & G stuff have you got? My stuff is the Hercules 390 system from the mid 80's and is compatible with both the older "C" type head unit and the current 213 head unit.
Spirit28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:38   #3

Mine is the Quad stuff, I think. Got it all in 1995 after a lightning strike. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:11   #4

You may be able to straighten the pins back out. There is a small phillips head screw up inside the lower end where the pins are. Remove this screw and you can pull the small pin pcb out with a pair of needle nose pliers. If there is not enough slack in the wiring, you will also have to open the top end and unplug the connector from the pcb board. If they are beyond fixing, I can send you a replacement pin pcb with attached wiring. The contacts in the connector for the board in the upper unit can be removed from the connector housing to get the wiring through the tube.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:25   #5

Thanks Eric. I've pm'd you.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:29   #6

About your wind aerial

Hello,

I own also a 283 Areial B&G . Would you sell me your broken aerial for spare ?

Best regards .
fra4129 is offline   Reply With Quote