Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2016, 08:08   #1

B&G Vulcan 9 instead of Zeus2/Zeus3 9

I am thinking about getting a Vulcan 9 to use as the primary plotter at the helm and using a tablet when needed at the nav desk. Any issue with this? It seems like the Vulcan 9 has almost all the same features as the Zeus3.
BrettB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 21:34   #2

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)
Re: B&G Vulcan 9 instead of Zeus2/Zeus3 9

The Zeus 3 comes ready to accept forward scan. I'm not sure if the Vulcan does or not. We are looking at MFD/Radar combos, so far I'm liking the Zeus 3 best. I want to use Navionics charts which I think rules out Garmin.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 13:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslandGuy View Post
The Zeus 3 comes ready to accept forward scan. I'm not sure if the Vulcan does or not. We are looking at MFD/Radar combos, so far I'm liking the Zeus 3 best. I want to use Navionics charts which I think rules out Garmin.
Does the Zeus3 come with the transducer?

Vulcan 9 specifically calls out:
Quote:
Broadband Radar™ and ForwardScan™ compatible. Add an optional ForwardScan™ transducer to see what lies ahead...
BrettB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 13:42   #4

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)

Not 100% sure, I'm going to the Vancouver Boat show in three weeks, hopefully they'll have a B&G rep there so I can fully sort out the differences.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 18:46   #5

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

the vulcan does forward scan yes

check out the alarm volume on the unit. my vulcan 5 is almost non existent (check out my videos on youtube, and on this site)

I use the vulcan 5 at the helm, and would prefer a more robust one for down below, which i will get a Zeus3 at some point, but is too big for the helm for my boat.

unsure if the vulcan 9 can show radar

I would say, at this point, the Vulcan 5 is not ready for prime time. have spent a lot of time on the phone and email support with various issues, with varying degree of support (60+ minute on hold time, wrong answers, etc). still the Vulcan 5, for me is still the best choice, 5 inch, NMEA2000 connectivity and (future) forward scan.

Im going to assume they worked out some of the bugs by now with this newer, 9, model

I prefer buttons on the plotter, having an touchscreen only takes some getting used to.. the BIGGEST problem i had was the pinch zoom... if you pinch top and bottom (vs side to side or diagonal) it pulls down a menu.. so annoying! with a 5 inch screen, its hard to not bring the menu down.. likely not a problem with the 9
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 19:56   #6

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

I put a Vulcan 7 at the helm because of the forward scan built in . I've decided to use a laptop with open cpn networked in with a 3G radar at the chart table . You can find killer deals on the Vulcan if you look around . I paid 550+- for the 7.
One thing to think about is I have seen real good deals on zues2 units not the Zeus 3 is out
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 21:01   #7

Boat: Passport 40

Biggest difference*between the Vulcan 5/7 to the coming Vulcan 9, aside from screen Real Estate, is that the 9 WILL*do Radar. The smaller ones do not.

The plan to use a Vulcan 9 at the helm and Wifi it to a tablet at the navigation station will work fine.

The Zeus 3 doesn't come with a transducer. You just choose the one you want to use with it...digital depth or forward scan. (Though at some point we may see packages).

Also remember that the Zeus line*only supports digital sonar*for depth...not full CHIRP Sonar and Downscan imagining for fish finding. You can get that on the Zeus if you want that kind of sonar, but you'd have to add a DSM sonar black box to the*system to drive that kind of transducer. Zeus line doesn't support it natively.